EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

No Sex Please, we're British!

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Postby TalkingPoint » Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:57 pm

We often make generalizations about countries and nationalities. For example, many people think that the British don't like sex. Or we think that all French people wear berets and drink red wine. These are called clichés or stereotypes. These clichés are often inaccurate, or at least out-of-date. Often they are completely wrong and unfair.

Does it help international relations to make generalizations about countries and national characteristics?
Last edited by TalkingPoint on Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TalkingPoint
EC Teacher
EC Teacher

nO, SEX pLEASe, We Are bRiTisH

Postby hugoromo » Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:57 pm

Absolutely, it doesn´t help. But it´s funny to know how people see themself.
I am Chilean, I have British friends, and people that I´ve come across on internet. I´ve read British books too, but I find that it isn´t true in its whole.
And that is just because, again the books I´ve read, the people I´ve met and the movies that I've seen.

I am for looking for the similarities rather than the differences among cultures and their peoples.
:) I am Chilean too. What are you talking about?
Last edited by hugoromo on Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
hugoromo

my veiw about this topic

Postby ziouzioua » Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:55 am

All I have seen and read about the British civilazation is that British people are honest and what I know about them is that they are better off in their lives.
Last edited by ziouzioua on Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ziouzioua

Brits

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:31 am

I find Brits very sexy

Postby Farawayfromyou » Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:42 pm

:D ,Hi! I have known that the British si very coversation,and I like the uk
Farawayfromyou

Postby Mandy2 » Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:19 pm

Sometimes we might get the idea that people who travel to another country know already a lot about it, but it has often much more the character of a fuzzy idea about the foreign people and their behavior and is not always correct. These ideas about another country or its citizens often match the real situation in the respective country only a little! and are governed by some obvious basic behavior patterns. Stereotypes tend to be superficial and we should keep this in mind, before we believe them. If possible, visit a country, meet its people first, learn about their culture first hand in meetings, talks etc and then make up your mind, instead of believing stereotypes.
Mandy2
Silver Member

you are British, we are Polish :o)

Postby PolishLady » Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:48 am

Stereotypes are as old as people I think. "The problem" lies in different culture and mentality. I'm partly writing my MA thesis on this topic and I find it very interesting. Why? Because I'm a Pole and I dislike general opinions about my nation, especially given by the Americans as far as I know :( But isn't it a stereotype either?? I'm not going to tell you I don't like the Americans, contrary, I would like to meet some of them :) And the British? Personally, I think they are very original and interesting. And what about us, Polish girls? We are just different, and so are the girls from Germany, Britain, Russia, Slovakia.... With Polish greetings - Polish Lady (not Makbeth :lol: )
A man who knows he is a fool is not a great fool
PolishLady

cultural diff

Postby kenji » Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:00 am

We need to stop using generalizations....global world baby!
kenji

Next

Return to Talking Point Discussion