EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Hello everybody

Postby sunflower » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:58 pm

:D
Like many other people , I strongly disapprove of people who smoke very much . Everybody knows that smoking has a bad effect on our health . Many cancers have been caused by smoking . This demands us to have a law to cut down on the number of smokers . Everytime I have to sit a person smoking a lot , I feel annoyed a lot . So I think it's best for us to punish smokers for doing this . If so , maybe the number of smokers in the world can gradually reduce . Perhaps all of U also agree with me ?
Thank you and bi bi ! :wink
sunflower
sunflower

Postby snezana » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:20 pm

hey everybody!i agree that smoking is widely spread problem, and there should be taken some urgent measures against it...As far as i'm concerned, i think, that charging people for smoking isn't a very nice and what's important democratical way of solving this problem...From my point of view, it is every adult person's own choise...but what's important is to control teenagers(cause a lot of people start smoking in school, being influenced by their classmates..), and charge them for smoking...and also it shouldn't be allowed to smoke in social places, as smokers do harm not only to themselves, but to all people in their surrounding also.
snezana

Postby Mandy2 » Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:45 pm

I'd just like to add some information about the situation in Germany, just to let you know how things are handled in other countries, Germany in particular.
Smoking in Germany became more expense. From March 1 the price of a packet of cigarettes went up by 40 cents, as a new tax on tobacco went into effect and cigarette makers raised their profit margins. The tobacco tax will increase by 1.2 cents per cigarette on December 1 and again on September 1, 2005 to help finance the government's health reforms.
As a result, more smokers have been turning to rolling tobacco and cigars, which have been spared the higher taxation rates dumped on cigarettes over the past couple of years.

Sheff said: "At one point the price went so high that people resorted to smuggling."

I can second that and have read an interview with a spokesman for British American Tobacco. He said that increased tobacco taxes might blow smokers out of their clutch and onto the black market. Their concern is that the new taxes will not stop people smoking, but that they will turn to the black market and cheaper forms of tobacco.

Talking about 'cheaper' and buying cigarettes cheaper ...
one example can be found since many years here in Germany. Smokers who live near Poland, go there since many years, because they often pay less for cigarettes there and by doing that they also try to circumnavigate further tax hikes planned by the German government.

Well, I'm off for now.
Ciao,
Mandy
Travel is fatal to prejudice and narrow-mindedness.
Mandy2
Silver Member

Postby Gloria » Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:05 pm

Yes, I agree that smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.
As all of us know that smoking is hamrful to health, and the harmful effects are not just appear to those smokers, but also the one who is next to them.
However ,the number of smokers is still increasing day by day, and the trend show that more and more teenagers become smokers too.Therefore, I hope that the increase in tax on cigarettes can cut down the number of smokers .
Gloria

Postby viveo » Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:00 pm

Smokers should pay high tax. First, smoking is not good for health. Otherwise smoker can affect passive smoker's health. It also causes environmental pollution. In addition, smoking is expensive. It waste of time and money. :lol:
What is love ?
viveo

Re: Smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.

Postby cjlee02 » Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:54 am

TP wrote:Smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.

smoker: a person who smokes cigarettes
tax: a charge by the government added to the price of goods and services

I think taxation on cigarettes is a good way to reduce in market popualtion of smokers.
I think there are two approachs to reduce a mumber of smoker.
the first is that to ban the smoking in special area. this is so call supplier-craked policy. the other is to increase the price of cigarette. that is so call market-distroied policy.
I will give a vote to market-distroyed poicy
cjlee02

Postby maryemily » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:37 pm

once I read in Veja magazina that Brazil spends more money with medical treament of ill smokers than receives in taxes from these industries....so, yes, I agree that the taxes should be higher....but not the employment ones....it would raise the number of unemployment in our country.
maryemily
Silver Member

Postby CityYoung » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:49 pm

The govrement must stop enter cigarettes in their country . After that no body will smoke :)
CityYoung
Platinum Member

Postby Shazzam » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:07 am

CityYoung wrote:The govrement must stop enter cigarettes in their country . After that no body will smoke :)

Good idea, then they can also tell us what to eat, how many times a day to go to the toilet and what colour underpants to wear. :roll:
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member

Postby serpico » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:42 am

CityYoung wrote:The govrement must stop enter cigarettes in their country . After that no body will smoke :)

Have you ever tought at smmugling ? Have you heard about " the forbiden fruit " ( I am not very sure if there is the same meaning in English ; I am refering at the famous apple from " Adam & Eva " ) ?
:)
serpico
Silver Member

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion