EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Should museums & art galleries return works of art?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Should museums & art galleries return works of art?

Postby TalkingPoint » Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:31 pm

Should museums and art galleries return works of art to their country of origin?

English Checker
museum: a building where objects of historical, cultural, scientific or artistic value are exhibited
art gallery: a room or building where works of art are displayed
work of art: a creative product such as a painting or statue
country of origin: the country where something originated, where something came from
Last edited by TalkingPoint on Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
TalkingPoint
EC Teacher
EC Teacher

Postby gulf girl » Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:25 pm

Dear Talking Point
Maybe I'm too late to reply to you, but I had just rigestered yesterday !!
By the way
Your talking point seems to be very effective to talk about

Personally, I feel that these museums keep works of art in save !! But if there are any such places in the related country, they should send related works of art to them !
If you don't know what you looking for, you'll never find it.
gulf girl

Postby baker » Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:04 am

It depends. If there is possibility that the art would be sold to for example private collectors, instead of being publicly displayed in museums, or that it would be completely destroyed for political or religous reasons then it shouldn't be returned. If there are no such reasons then people should be able to view their own country's art, so that they can understand their roots better and learn to respect their own culture.
baker

Postby coolguy » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:41 am

I think it depends on the situation where the arts' original country are.If the country is in a good condition and she has the ability to perserve the arts ,the arts should be returned to his motherland.
coolguy

Postby ddai130 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:53 am

It may not be should , but why not since most of person want them to be . They had drift for a long time . Now they get tired . Time to back home where they really belong to !
ddai130

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:17 am

People do donate their collections to museums and art galleries. Thus, if they have legal rights to own the pieces, then those don't need to be returned. If they don't, then those should be.

Return to Talking Point Discussion