EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Grammar is a waste of time.

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Help me ! Help me ! Please help me ! I have got many problem

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:05 am

Hello ! I have got many problems with Grammar,so I cannot have any inspied so as to study it,therefore I feel so bored with English Grammar.Although I'm trying to learn Grammar,but mastering it is a too big program for me,because I hope that,you will help me.Please give me some advice about learning English Grammar method.I'm really grateful about your help

We don't need to learn English grammar to speak English.Gram

Postby dinukumar7 » Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:38 am

Hi Iam new member of this forum . I have been facing many problem with english . so Iam very impressed on this topic . Grammer is necessary to understand language .we cannot go ahaed in any language without grammer. english isnot exception from that . Iam searching good way to know english grammer ,give me good advice whatever you can do .
dinu.
dinukumar7

Postby Mandy2 » Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:02 pm

I believe that grammar is important, because it encodes meaning and thus promotes understanding. Well, I can't speak for all of you, but when someone learns a foreign language, his/her goal over time is usually that the grammatical system of the language becomes "internalized". That is, the learner's brain correctly - or at least somewhat correctly - and subconsciously forms words and combines those words into sentences as they quickly rush out of the learner's mouth. Know what I mean?

Yeah I know, acquiring this ability takes time, but don't give up!
Let's assume that you just started to learn English (including grammar) - don't let your inability to produce grammatically perfect sentences keep you from trying to communicate. Communication can take place also when your grammatical ability in a language is weak. But hey, all of us had the same problem at the very beginning. Don't get discouraged and continue your studies. You'll succeed :-)
Mandy2
Silver Member

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:56 pm

Anonymous wrote:No wonder... Birds of a feather flock together.
Grammar IS necessary - take it or leave it.
Otherwise, I mean what I say would equal I say what I mean.
Seems you mean to say you don't mean to say much. In this case just a smile will tell everything. No need to beat about the bush... er... Wouldn't it be a stupid smile?.. :?

:?: Huh???????? and please don't say "take it or leave it" because it's rude. You can express your opinion, but don't be rude. The "take it or leave it" makes a person sound like he/she having a bad attitude. If you're learning a language, learn how to talk nice. 8)

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:18 pm

Babelia wrote:Hello everyone,
I think that there is no one single or correct answer to that question. All depends we need the language for: children just need some words to supply their immediate necessities, no matter about countability. On the other hand, unlucky you if you don't know the difference between verb tenses in your FCE!

Kind regards,
Babelia.

:?: Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? I DO NOT understand what you're trying to say. It's really confusing. Are you trying to say that we don't need to learn grammar since kids don't learn grammar and they can talk? If this is what you're trying to say, can I ask you that you can see the difference between us and kids? We're not kids. We don't have to talk like kids. Besides, the difference between an educated person and an uneducated person is the way that person talks or writes. If you're in college and you talk or write like a 6 year-old kid, do you ever think of which way people will look at you? Studying is necessary and it doesn't matter what we should study for.

Postby birrel » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:25 am

You are the typical posh who thinks that speaking posh English is the best.
birrel

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:07 pm

birrel wrote:You are the typical posh who thinks that speaking posh English is the best.

"either you don't do it or do it right" applies for everything--not necessary English.

Grammer is necessary and useful.

Postby Judy2004 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:57 am

Hi,everyone
Before I can speak English, I have the same feeling as others that grammer is useless,because I still can not open my mouth to speak English,however,I had got high marks in every examination. Now,I can communicate with others in English easily,the more I speak, the more I feel the importance of grammer.

When we speak English, it can be divided into three stages.The first is to greet with people,which is the basic and simple stage.The second is to discuss and the third is to debate,obviously,the latter two stages are more difficult and require more skills including the deep understanding of basic language knowledge,which is grammer. Suppose you are discussing or debating with your opposite,even if you make a small mistake in grammer,it can be the achilles' heel which the opposite take advantage of and attack you with. Any hope of your winning,therefore, will reduce to ashes. So is when you are making presentations and being interviewed and so on.

Grammer is not very important,which is applied in such situation that we learn to speak English.When we start to speak English,we are instructed not to bear much grammer knowledge in our mind and not to mind making grammer mistakes,otherwise it is very difficult to make progress.

Besides,a suggestion is made to measure the level of mastering grammer that if you can not explain the grammer points in an logical way in English,you can not say you have grasped it.
Judy2004

Re: Grammar is necessary

Postby Judy2004 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:13 am

[i][i]
member wrote:Grammar is necessary to express him/herself correctly. In fact, to communicate in any language we need to form expressions by combining words according to its grammar rules. A word is in its turn just a combination of letters that has a sense according to the dictionary. Therefore, like we cannot obtain a word that has a sense by combining any set of letters, we cannot as well obtain a significant expression by combining words in any manner we want.

It is true that people can usually understand what we mean eventhough we don't respect grammar; but this is not a proof of our ability to express correctly, it is a proof of the intelligence of others, who are able to deduce what we mean from our erroneous expressions (like those of this message, which, I'm sure, won't prevent you of understanding what I would like to express!).

Abdelaziz Bouroumi
:) Rabat, Morocco

What you have said is concise and to the point.You can combine you precious thoughts with good grammer knowledge very well,It is also a proof that grammer is necessary and important to express any of our ideas,if we can not present them in an right and suitable way which should follows the basic grammer rules,How can we be understood?How can I appreciate you?
Thank you for the good explanation.
Judy2004

Grammer:necessary but not crucial

Postby luckygirl9 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:11 pm

Sometimes grammer exercises really made me sick,there are too many grammers in English,who create this languge? :lol: Actually,I have enough ability to tough it out!If you catch every grains of it,you will be baffled.
Look throughout the English grammer,you will find that some of them do not obey the rules or laws all the time.And I think,the english speaking countries has the authorities to control their languge,and we should follow what they did.For example,the popular word used by many of us,"wanna" maybe comes from other counry nation in the first place,but then obsorbed into English later on.We all know that "wanna" means "want to",but when we use it,we often put a verb just after it.That's the obvious differnce to other verbs.
luckygirl9
Silver Member

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion