EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Tips for Vocabulary

Help on English vocab, including idioms, slang and sayings

Moderator: EC

Tips for Vocabulary

Postby Pirate » Sun May 23, 2004 11:41 pm

Hello everyone,

This is one part of the series "Tips for learning English". The series is today created in the sake of collecting and assembling tips which come from English learners. Post your own tips which really work :!: Other members can learn from them, and if necessary we could discuss :idea:

You are in VOCABULARY section 8) .

"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words."
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832)

English Vocabulary lessons: http://www.englishclub.com/vocabulary/
Pirate
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby hurricane_sh » Mon May 31, 2004 12:13 am

I do not agree with you, I think the best way is to read.
hurricane_sh

Postby Pirate » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:10 pm

One important part of Vocabulary is idioms. If you are interested in them, I think to know the roots of idioms will help remember. You can find many here:
http://members.aol.com/MorelandC/HaveOrigins.htm

If you like a collection with different topics, see it here:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Aegean/6720/

Anyway the most important thing is studying. See you.
Pirate
Pirate
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby bmo » Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:22 am

Study prefix, suffix and root. Let's look at Latin root cadere, to fall.

When a man falls into a ditch, we say it is an accident; and is accidental. The side the sun falls down is the west, so we call the people who live in the west, westerner or occidental. Both accidental and occidental have the same Latin root, cadere, to fall.

We call Asians Oriental because they live on the side the sun rises or originates.

Let's look at pedal. The root is ped, foot.
If you have something on your foot, say it is shackled, you can't go anywhere. Impede is to hinder, the word is from in, in + ped, foot. When that shackle is removed, you can move fast, so the word expedite, from ex, out of + ped, foot, is to hurry up. Please expedite, this letter must go out ASAP.

If you know accident and pedal, it is easy for you to memorize occidental, impede and expedite. Do you want to be a podiatrist? That is a foot doctor (medical doctor). Pod is foot.
bmo

Postby thinlion » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:24 am

hi everybody
I know many vocabulary but i don't know how to use them
can everyone say this for me,please!!!
I try to read vocabulary again and again but I can't remember it in my head after a few day.
If everyone have documents about vocabulary
tell me,please
or show me website
thank you
thinlion

Postby Pirate » Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:38 pm

Well, there are many ways to expand your Vocabulary, just we are sometimes not very sure which are suitable for us. Er ... so just try until you can find a way :wink:

1- 5 words a day! It's recommended by Josef. Hix, but it doesn't work to me. I used to try "Word of the day" provided by Kaplan, which gives just one word a day but along come some more synonyms. I couldn't keep up after 2 months! :(

2- Learn pages each time through articles. This stupid way unfortunately works well to me. I register newsletter, access the internet and read articles. Each long article often gives me about 40-60 new words ( :oops: ). It then takes a lot of time to pick out the new words, look up the meaning in dictionary, write down in a notebook, and simply read them again and again whenever I have free time. Check the progress by reading the article again without having to use the notebook. The content of the articles I read help me to learn by heart easier. Of course later I certainly forget some but some others still stay in mind! 8)

3- Sticky sheets of paper. I think this is quite interesting. Make some small sheets of paper, write down the word and stick it where it should be. Example, make a sheet of "doorhandle" and stick it on the door, right over the doorhandle so you will see the paper anytime you touch the doorhandle. But with this way you cannot learn verbs, I guess, and not too difficult words.

4- Learning with friends. Yeah, you and your friends make a list of words that you need to study this week, then check one another at weekend, ok?

What's your ways?
Pirate
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby hung » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:24 pm

Pirate, how can u expand yer E. vocabulary if u merely learn 1-5 new words a day? Personally I learn more than 20 words a day but I forget 15 ones the day after. And after a week I just rem. only 1 word :lol:
hung
Silver Member

Next

Return to Vocabulary Help