EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

United Nations

Let others know the latest news, or discuss it with them.

Moderators: Vega, EC

United Nations

Postby Pirate » Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:34 pm

Dear friends,

Due to the current messy and complicated status of the political world, i'm asking myself about the role of UN org. I'm not just talking about UN's role in Iraq at the moment, but also about the whole world.

Is UN important?
Does it have a weighed international voice that can affect every issues?
What do people need to do to improve it? (Do we need?)

Personally i would say that UN is quite disable in political affairs!

What do u think about it, the biggest org on our planet???

Best regards,
Pirate
Last edited by Pirate on Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pirate
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Re: United Nations Organization

Postby Monster » Sat May 08, 2004 5:26 pm

hi pirate
I think UN has lost its power to run the world politcs. UN is under a US's 'pressure' because UN is supported mainly by US. So UN says what US wants. How to save UN it is a question. To tell the truth I think it is impossible, in next one-two hundert years at least.
regards
Monster
Gold Member

Postby Ms.A.Z » Mon May 10, 2004 11:15 am

hi pirate

i heard about UN but i dont know really what it dose so can u tell me some thing about it..thanks bye
Last edited by Ms.A.Z on Tue May 11, 2004 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ms.A.Z
Platinum Member

Postby Pirate » Mon May 10, 2004 8:32 pm

http://www.un.org/Overview/brief.html

The United Nations is central to global efforts to solve problems that challenge humanity. Cooperating in this effort are more than 30 affiliated organizations, known together as the UN system. Day in and day out, the UN and its family of organizations work to promote respect for human rights, protect the environment, fight disease and reduce poverty. UN agencies define the standards for safe and efficient air travel and help improve telecommunications and enhance consumer protection. The United Nations leads the international campaigns against drug trafficking and terrorism. Throughout the world, the UN and its agencies assist refugees, set up programmes to clear landmines, help expand food production and lead the fight against AIDS.

How the UN works?
http://www.un.org/Overview/brief1.html

The United Nations was established on 24 October 1945 by 51 countries committed to preserving peace through international cooperation and collective security. Today, nearly every nation in the world belongs to the UN: membership totals 191 countries*.

When States become Members of the United Nations, they agree to accept the obligations of the UN Charter, an international treaty that sets out basic principles of international relations. According to the Charter, the UN has four purposes: to maintain international peace and security; to develop friendly relations among nations; to cooperate in solving international problems and in promoting respect for human rights; and to be a centre for harmonizing the actions of nations.

The United Nations is not a world government and it does not make laws. It does, however, provide the means to help resolve international conflicts and formulate policies on matters affecting all of us. At the UN, all the Member States — large and small, rich and poor, with differing political views and social systems — have a voice and a vote in this process.

The United Nations has six main organs. Five of them — the General Assembly, the Security Council, the Economic and Social Council, the Trusteeship Council and the Secretariat — are based at UN Headquarters in New York. The sixth, the International Court of Justice, is located at The Hague in the Netherlands.

Anyway that's what UN say about themselves!
U can visit their official website: http://www.un.org (it's very well-organized and nice)

See u later,
Pirate
Pirate
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Ms.A.Z » Tue May 11, 2004 4:33 pm

hi pirate

thanks alot for giving me information about UN its more then i really needed....well from what u said in ur last messg i can see that UN has so many important and serious roles to play in this world ...but i dont see their effect any where.There is still poverty ,terrisum, hunger, drugs ,crimes , lack of safety and many more problems in the world which are still unsolved !!! so i guess i agree with monster i think UN has really lost its power..if it was effective then the world might have been a better place..but as the days passes its becoming worse then ever before.
Ms.A.Z
Platinum Member

Postby Monster » Wed May 12, 2004 6:47 pm

hi everybody
All we know what is a destination of UN. To look after countries to avert possible future wars, crisises e.t.c. But the role of UN in modern world is very little. UN is ineffective. So there is a one question: do we need UN or it must be changed by other organization? If the answer is 'yes' , as the next question is: what a kind of an organization must it be? Who should run the new 'UN'. And the last quetion is : maybe the world in 21st century can be 'happy' without any organization like UN?

best regards
Monster
Gold Member

Postby Monster » Sun May 16, 2004 11:05 am

If someone like hitler will grip the power and unleash a new war UN will not stop him :!: UN is the main international organization so people think it has a nessessary power to stop such situations but in fact UN is not strong enough now to save the world :!: So UN must be changed by other more strong and independent organization :!:

regards
Monster
Gold Member

Postby Peterson » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:42 pm

hi, everyone.
on the contrary, i think UN is a must now and future. what we can do is to improve and develop and enhance its role in keep peaceful for the globle. as many other countries well developed, more other members can join this organization to do something for it.maybe in a few decades, UN will take on a new look, i suppose. we are looking forward to the change. :shock:
Peterson

Re: United Nations Organization

Postby fia » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:22 pm

Monster wrote:hi pirate
I think UN has lost its power to run the world politcs. UN is under a US's 'pressure' because UN is supported mainly by US. So UN says what US wants. How to save UN it is a question. To tell the truth I think it is impossible, in next one-two hundert years at least.
regards

I am gonna say the same and agree with you a cute monster.
fia
Silver Member

Postby Arale » Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:55 pm

UN is an organization which solves global problems .Its role is very important .But it seems UN is not as strong as it was . UN did nothing to prevent the Iraq war . There are many American memmbers so sometimes decisions of UN are that of USA so it is not fair surely !

_Arale_
Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Next

Return to Current News