EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Unemployment benefit encourages people not to look for work.

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Unemployment benefit encourages people not to look for work.

Postby TalkingPoint » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:32 am

Generous unemployment benefit simply encourages people not to look for work.
TalkingPoint
EC Teacher
EC Teacher

Postby Arale » Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:32 am

Well, who have right to get unemployment benifits ? unemployeers, surely ! However, not all of them can get that benifits. They are labour forces who are jobless and not able to get a job after a long finding time and living in poverty or near poverty.That benefit is not hight enough to be existed, let alone to be lived. I think no one takes advantage of that tiny benifit to not look for jobs.

_Arale_
Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:40 am

It depends on where one lives. I live in the US so that thing is common. Lazy people do that to get their way out of working. They go to work for, perhaps, a week or more and then they try their best to get fired so they can get in line to receive their unemployment checks. It makes me sick. I think this idea is the same as work compensation. Lazy people take advance of it also. They go to work and try their best to hurt themselves so they can get work compensation money from the company. It's sick :roll:

Postby Arale » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:16 am

Lazy people do that to get their way out of working. They go to work for, perhaps, a week or more and then they try their best to get fired so they can get in line to receive their unemployment checks.

Oh they are so bad.The Government don't need support them any more.

_Arale_
Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:48 am

Every country has laws to protect and support its own people; however, there are still some illegal ways going around though. "Rules are meant to be broken," I think? :?:

Postby Arale » Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:01 am

Indeed,there are many gaps in rules.Some authorities take the advantages these rules to get benefits.Red tape and corruption are illegal but quite common here that are main reasons holding my country back.How sad !

_Arale_
Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby viveo » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:23 am

I think it is not true. Because no one want to be unemployed. They want to work but somehow they have some problem we don't that right?
What is love ?
viveo

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:42 am

I think there are some differences in laws for rich and poor countries. Let me tell you one personal example. I had an uncle who was a doctor and he was literally "killed" by his coworker. The story began when he was having a headache while he was checking up his patients. He was afraid that the condition could lead him to diagnose his patients' conditions wrong, so he went to rest for a bit. His friend wanted him to be better; he gave my uncle a shot. That shot led him to death. It was a toxic medicine instead of a pain-killer shot. My uncle died shortly afterwards. The sad thing is when he was gone, he didn't even know his wife was two months pregnant at that time. The hospital people tried to hide the truth from us. They told us a lie about his condition and the reason why he was dead. We found it out later when one of his coworker accidentally spat it out. My family got mad, his dad was mad, his wife was mad, everyone was mad and hurt. His dad let it go though. He didn't sue the guy. My point for this story is if that guy was in the US, he would get sued and he would probably get in jail or his license would be taken away forever. He wouldn't get a chance to practice his medical anymore.
We, Vietnamese, are different. We tend to practice our laws more on love and some other things. We're afraid of karma. We think that if we sued someone, we'd get sued in the future. If we get our rights, or hurting people to get our rights we say, we'd get the same by others in the future. It's a good thinking. I have nothing to against it, but sometimes we need to separate ourselves from what should be let go and what should not. That's how we can build our country better.

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:44 am

viveo wrote:I think it is not true. Because no one want to be unemployed. They want to work but somehow they have some problem we don't that right?

Are you stating your point based on where you live or where I live?

Postby Arale » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:57 am

Sad to hear your story and I really feel sorry for your uncle.Your uncle's Dad has a grand humanity.God bless him !
Yes, our opinions are quite different from that in America and western countries.We usually solve things by emotion so laws and rules are broken.That is really bad because people don't believe in law any more and get disappointed.

_Arale_
Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Next

Return to Talking Point Discussion