EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

We are all basically selfish.

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

This is the fact that we are all basically selfish.

Postby Judy2004 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:32 pm

I think people are basically selfish,which should not be regarded as poor quality.If you can not meet your demand, how can you give your food or money away to the poor? Those who can help the poor out must have earned surplus,which is in excess of their basical requirement.
Due to selfishness,people have invented and created so many things that they could use them to get free from physical work,simultaneously,to achieve the end,they destroyed the nature to some extent.This identifies selfishness as a double-sword.
Certainly,when we talk of basical selfishness,it is referred as an instinct response to the outside.From it,we can learn that when we deal with other people,we should respect the individuals,we had better put ourselves in the others' position,we ought not to ask too much from others.
Judy2004

Postby vivian_1987 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:17 am

If selfishness is defined thinking mainly about one’s own personal pleasure or profit without thinking about other people . Then i do not believe that all humans are selfish. I believe that many people are very concerned about others and love is present in this world. A minority of people may be selfish but i believe the majority of people are loving. Sometimes we may resort to thinking only about ourselves when we have been hurt and we resort to self-protection. We live in a world full of different people where cooperation is vital. Therefore, we must think about others as well as ourselves
vivian_1987

Postby yuniu » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:15 am

Taking care of ourselves should be the priority lesson to everyone. If a person has no capability to take care of himself, how can we believe he is competent to balance his own interest with others. I believe a happy man delivers happiness to the neighborhood. A sad man spread pollution to the around.
yuniu

Postby Arale » Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:43 am

All people are selfish. It is true. The difference is how selfish you are. Controlling your selfisfness is also an important principle to keep you from evils of life. I don't think people could absolutely rule it out so controlling it at the lowest level is really a great success.

_Arale_
Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby crystalfrogw » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:32 am

we must admit human beings are selfish.....but when we realize it we sholud improve ourselves all the time.After all we are not saints........
crystalfrogw

Postby intboy » Wed May 16, 2007 5:53 pm

Selfish is not exactly bad,as we must meet ourself needs firstly,then we can help others.
intboy

Postby kathymimi » Thu May 31, 2007 2:27 pm

well, we are selfish in nature, but it doesn't mean this selfish will hurt others. unless our selfish hurts others, we should accept this personality.
kathymimi

Postby Seafarer » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:14 pm

I had a weird example in my mind about this selfishness issue, but had never found the oppurtunity to post it, so thanks for this topic :P
I sometimes think that what if my boyfriend dies in an earthquake or any accident.Of course this means i will lose him but the person who is going to suffer cause of it , is ME! For that reason i never want this to happen.I guess this is a good example of my selfishness :roll:
Seafarer
Gold Member

Postby Bambang » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:18 am

First of all, I would like to say that we are basically selfish. That’s true. But it's still in a comma not a period. Besides selfish creatures, we are also unselfish creatures. We are also helpful. We are the best creation that God has ever made. We are balanced creatures, full of positive and negative sides. That makes us better than other creatures in this universe.

God created angels with full of kindness and devil with full of badness. My point is as balanced creatures, we should be smart in managing ourselves. All we have to do is to minimize the negative natures and optimize or maximize the positive natures. So let's minimize our selfishness.

vivian_1987 wrote:If selfishness is defined thinking mainly about one’s own personal pleasure or profit without thinking about other people. Then I do not believe that all humans are selfish. I believe that many people are very concerned about others and love is present in this world. A minority of people may be selfish but I believe the majority of people are loving. Sometimes we may resort to thinking only about ourselves when we have been hurt and we resort to self-protection. We live in a world full of different people where cooperation is vital. Therefore, we must think about others as well as ourselves

I hope and believe that you are one of those who can be categorized as a smart person at maximizing the positive natures. I really appreciate you point of view my friend.

judy2004 wrote: …If you can not meet your demand, how can you give your food or money away to the poor? Those who can help the poor out must have earned surplus…

My friend, you don’t need to be rich to be able to give something to the poor. There are many many examples in this world when poor people can give something to the poorer ones. Giving something to someone is not about the wealth. It’s about heart and willingness. Sorry my friend, I didn’t mean to judge that you don’t have heart to do good deeds. I really hope that you are not in that category. Once again, please accept my apology if I am wrong.

Finally, my point is selfishness can be minimized if we have willingness to do that.
Bambang
Polished Diamond Member

Postby nightwish » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:24 am

Ok. I'll start from me, as I see myself I'm not a selfish person, but sometimes the human instinct plays a good part in our life and ecpecially when it's for our interests.
I'm not the best in this world, and I never prefered myself as the good person and the best one, I help all the people who need a help, I give the people who I really love more than I can give.

so all i wanna say that, it all depends on us to be selfish or not :!:
nightwish
Silver Member

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion