EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Do you like literature?

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Do you like literature?

Postby maryemily » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:13 pm

tell me about a bookyou have read and liked a lot, and why.....if, of course, you enjoy reading books......

One I liked a lot is called The Hours, by Michael Cunigham, because it makes intertextuality to a book by Wirginia Wolf and like her, tells a lot about the women's soul.....
maryemily
Silver Member

Postby Pirate » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:17 pm

I haven't read the book but have seen the movie. It's nice
Pirate
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby maryemily » Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:21 am

but it is a little different from the book......have you read something you really enjoyed?
maryemily
Silver Member

Postby Pirate » Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:34 am

Personally I like Jack London and Stephen King. The latter's style is apparently closer to present day. I like his "Green Mile" and I also saw the movie.

I especially like Jack London's short stories ... Love of life, The call of the wild, Big wave Canaca ... The novel "Martin Eden" is really great!

By the way, has anyone read "The picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde? I haven't yet but it seems to be a very famous book.
Pirate
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby maryemily » Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:44 am

I have read so.....really good and enigmatic, could start a long discussion about its meanings
maryemily
Silver Member

Postby Arale » Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:22 am

mary, it is an interesting topic to discuss. I like Literature and Math too. Literature is a compulsory subject in my university. We have studied English and American Literature. I like reading books much, especially classical works. I like Gone with the wind, The bird torn, The black tullip,The call of the wild, A farewell to arms... I had done a Literature term paper of the novel A farewell to arms by Hemingway. It is so great.

Pirate, "The picture of Dorian Grey" by Oscar Wild is very great. It is worth reading really.I also like "The nightinggale and the rose" by Oscar Wild.
Did anyone read Shedney Shaldon? :wink: Great !!!!!!!!!!!

_Arale_
Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby maryemily » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:18 pm

Shedney Shaldon????? tell me the name of some books by him. As you like literature, try to read Jane Eyre and then the book after it that is like an answer to the book: Wide Sargaso Sea. Great books. As you have read The picture of Dorian Gray, tell me, in your opinion, what are the themes in that book???? I have heard that as Wilde liked to write about art, Dorian would a metaphor to art itself.
maryemily
Silver Member

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 25, 2004 6:42 am

pirate wrote:Personally I like Jack London and Stephen King.

Me too :wink:

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:04 am

I like,
Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne
The Call of the Wild by Jack London
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
Princess Sultana's Circle by Jean P. Sasson
The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
I know why the caged bird sings by Maya Angelou
and more that I can't remember now :D

Postby paradise » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:31 pm

I really like literature too much but i dont interest alot in poetry . i like novels more . the most interesting novel i have read is pride and prejudice because it reflects the life in the past especaially in britian and also there is alot of social behaviors which can elp u in life you can learn from this novel
The one who guides to something good has a reward similar to its doer
paradise
Silver Member

Next

Return to Books & Authors