Do you like literature?

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderator: EC

maryemily

Do you like literature?

Post by maryemily »

tell me about a bookyou have read and liked a lot, and why.....if, of course, you enjoy reading books......

One I liked a lot is called The Hours, by Michael Cunigham, because it makes intertextuality to a book by Wirginia Wolf and like her, tells a lot about the women's soul.....
Pirate
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Pirate »

I haven't read the book but have seen the movie. It's nice
maryemily

Post by maryemily »

but it is a little different from the book......have you read something you really enjoyed?
Pirate
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Pirate »

Personally I like Jack London and Stephen King. The latter's style is apparently closer to present day. I like his "Green Mile" and I also saw the movie.

I especially like Jack London's short stories ... Love of life, The call of the wild, Big wave Canaca ... The novel "Martin Eden" is really great!

By the way, has anyone read "The picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde? I haven't yet but it seems to be a very famous book.
maryemily

Post by maryemily »

I have read so.....really good and enigmatic, could start a long discussion about its meanings
Arale
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Arale »

mary, it is an interesting topic to discuss. I like Literature and Math too. Literature is a compulsory subject in my university. We have studied English and American Literature. I like reading books much, especially classical works. I like Gone with the wind, The bird torn, The black tullip,The call of the wild, A farewell to arms... I had done a Literature term paper of the novel A farewell to arms by Hemingway. It is so great.

Pirate, "The picture of Dorian Grey" by Oscar Wild is very great. It is worth reading really.I also like "The nightinggale and the rose" by Oscar Wild.
Did anyone read Shedney Shaldon? :wink: Great !!!!!!!!!!!

_Arale_
maryemily

Post by maryemily »

Shedney Shaldon????? tell me the name of some books by him. As you like literature, try to read Jane Eyre and then the book after it that is like an answer to the book: Wide Sargaso Sea. Great books. As you have read The picture of Dorian Gray, tell me, in your opinion, what are the themes in that book???? I have heard that as Wilde liked to write about art, Dorian would a metaphor to art itself.

Post by Guest »

pirate wrote:Personally I like Jack London and Stephen King.
Me too :wink:

Post by Guest »

I like,
Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne
The Call of the Wild by Jack London
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
Princess Sultana's Circle by Jean P. Sasson
The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
I know why the caged bird sings by Maya Angelou
and more that I can't remember now :D
paradise

Post by paradise »

I really like literature too much but i dont interest alot in poetry . i like novels more . the most interesting novel i have read is pride and prejudice because it reflects the life in the past especaially in britian and also there is alot of social behaviors which can elp u in life you can learn from this novel
The one who guides to something good has a reward similar to its doer
shatha

yep!

Post by shatha »

I am in 2nd secondary and my school in Saudi Arabia teaches me literature and integrated studies. Actually it's not easy to me as a beginner but I really enjoy it. It's a thick book includes very interesting novels and poems …etc. in addition, it includes pictures for each story and they're often real pictures from the movies. It's a great book from my school I think it's not cheep : ) . we can't study all of it in the school I told you it's not easy. We spend almost 10 periods to discuss one story. I hope I can read the whole book and then I'll have very good English. But my problem is when I find a lot of new and difficult words I feel bored and stop reading. What I suppose to do ?? advise me please ..

( please if I had any mistakes in my writing tell me in grammar, spelling or anything else . I should learn from my mistakes. ) thank you …
:wink:
Never too old to learn
silence

Post by silence »

well, i am rereading this forum for the second time trying to summarize what is the book of those i've read that i like most... i like Ray Bradbury Farenheit 451 - about the life after the books will be destroyed and people will live spending their time by interactive TV-sets a wall wide... it impressed me greatly.
i also like William Somerset Maugham very much with his understanding of human nature.
mariposa

Post by mariposa »

Hi all

The most book I liked is
Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne

(Im new here and I hope to learn alot from you)

Mariposa
Dithzie

Do you like Literature?

Post by Dithzie »

ILOVELITERATURE! There's no doubt about it. I'm an English major so it naturally follows that I'd fall in love with it. Ever since I can remember, I've been reading books - from comic books and magazines to romantic novels and classical ones. Reading is one of my passions. Right now I'm into the THORN BIRDS by Colleen McCullough. I have read it for like more than 10 times already but I never get tired of reading it. It's a very good book. A study in character development. It's just one of my favorite books but if I'd be ask to recommend another book I'd choose JONATHAN LIVINGSTONE SEAGULL by Richard Bach. This book is very inspirational; it's words are very simple but very beautiful. If you're seeking perfection, you'll definitely learn something here. If you feel you're different or unique and nobody understands your quest for individuality, this book is for you.

For those who would like to improve their English, one way of achieving it is by reading - a lot! You can widen your vocabulary and your grammar when you read. Don't let yourself be bored. When you have nothing better to do...READ! Take it from me. It works! :D
Iamwhoam
Honey

Post by Honey »

I like literature...

:mrgreen: I confess I'm lazy to read. Still, when I read a book, I enjoy it a lot, and I research on the book, the age and other information to know more about the book.

When literature is taught in an interesting way, it could be the best subject in the world! :wink:
Today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday
Ordina_Lavender

Shedney Shaldon??

Post by Ordina_Lavender »

Shedney Shaldon??
Nothing Lasts Forever...
If Tomorrow Comes...
The Best Laid Plans....
bacteria

Post by bacteria »

I am learning Limited speciality about the Literature... This is my indulgation. hihi
But I haven't much condition to approach with the Foreign Literature! I almost learn my country literature.
I do poets... many poets... because that's my life!
We are all born for love...