EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Presents. Is it the thought that counts?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Presents. Is it the thought that counts?

Postby TalkingPoint » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:45 am

"It doesn't matter how little a present costs - it's the thought that counts." To what extent do you agree with this saying?
    it doesn't matter: it's not important
    a present: a gift; something you give free
    to cost: to have as a price
    the thought: the idea behind the gift
    to count: to matter; to be important
    to what extent: how much; how far
    a saying: a proverb
Last edited by TalkingPoint on Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TalkingPoint
EC Teacher
EC Teacher

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:59 am

:lol: Well, that person should have thought it big then. Just joking! Yeah, it's the thought that counts. Giving or receiving a present is a joy so it doesn't matter how big the present should be. It's matter of how much time the other person has put into choosing the present. :wink:

Postby maryemily » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:08 pm

a person tried to please you, tried to make you happy by giving you a present, YOU!, so, what really matter is the act itself, not the size or price of the gift. 8)
I just know that nothing is what I know.
maryemily
Silver Member

well ...but sometimes ..i really consider it's cost

Postby moonie » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:58 pm

:oops: yes..it is true,,the most important fact is what is their true mind toward their beloved one ..but actually when i choose,,gift ..i really concern about the price..it's cost...and,,frankly..depends on the situation and person. individually. and it is quite different how much money i would pay for gifts.. ..

i think ..having joyful mind and being happy even it's cost is not high..when we get gift form others is natural...cause..that gift has lot's of meaning of being loved,,or..considerd ...

but most of all...giving is more happy than receiving.
preparing.. and spending time for someone..
moonie

Postby kyla » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:00 am

I agree that it doesn't matter how much the gift should cost but it is the thought that counts. Usually you think of the best gift to give to a certain person. As long as it is given whole heartedly no money could equalize with the love and thoughts wrapped in it. :)
hi everyone! i hope we can be friends..
kyla

Postby jone54 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:55 am

:lol: I found that almost all members in our fornum are agree on the idea that thought is cardinal and cost is the second. But as a matter of fact, people value their friendship by how much does the gift cost. :(
As far as you know, in chinese wedding, the bride's and groom's friends should wrap a mount of money in a red bag. At the moment, their friends will make decision whether the friendship between them is worthy of 200yuan or not, or even more.
:!: I am aggree with you too. But what I said above is a contradiction.Maybe we just need some time to resolve this problem.[/b]
jone54

Postby silence » Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:29 am

you know, i observed one funny conflict recently. our group of fitness-centre decided to make a present to our instructor (whose birthday is 1st of January :D ) and we gathered some money. the idea of gift was a big toy (for once when she awarded the winner of competition among children we saw she was saw excited herself with that toy). so one of our group members refused to give money for a toy, as she considers it not a good present. that's certainly her will, but... the matter of present is to make a person a bit happier with it, not necessary give the useful things only.
as about the balance of price of the present... showing the care of the person is much more important :) sometimes one can desire simple things :)
silence
Silver Member

Postby fly-with-me » Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:04 am

As my favourite proverb is " If you have much, give of your wealth; if you have little, give of your heart." Therefore,it doesn't mater how much or little the present cost, the most important thing is that present can reveal the giver 's love,care for the receiver.
**True wealth is what you are,not what you have**
fly-with-me
Silver Member

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:42 am

jone54 wrote::lol: I found that almost all members in our fornum are agree on the idea that thought is cardinal and cost is the second. But as a matter of fact, people value their friendship by how much does the gift cost. :(
As far as you know, in chinese wedding, the bride's and groom's friends should wrap a mount of money in a red bag. At the moment, their friends will make decision whether the friendship between them is worthy of 200yuan or not, or even more. :!: I am aggree with you too. But what I said above is a contradiction.Maybe we just need some time to resolve this problem.[/b]

:lol: same thing for Vietnamese weddings, pal. I think we Vietnamese have a joke that the first night of the wedding is the night the couple can count how much money they've got from that wedding. :lol:

Postby Arale » Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:35 am

You should know how much does the gift cost. It is not a problem. The more important thing is what you think of that gift. It may be small or big. It may be cheap or expensive. The giver's love makes sense, not the gift's shape or size. You may count the outside but the inside is unaccountable.

_Arale_
Nothing lasts forever...
Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Next

Return to Talking Point Discussion