United Nations

Let others know the latest news, or discuss it with them.

Moderator: EC

Pirate
Rising Star
Rising Star

United Nations

Post by Pirate »

Dear friends,

Due to the current messy and complicated status of the political world, i'm asking myself about the role of UN org. I'm not just talking about UN's role in Iraq at the moment, but also about the whole world.

Is UN important?
Does it have a weighed international voice that can affect every issues?
What do people need to do to improve it? (Do we need?)

Personally i would say that UN is quite disable in political affairs!

What do u think about it, the biggest org on our planet???

Best regards,
Pirate
Last edited by Pirate on Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monster

Re: United Nations Organization

Post by Monster »

hi pirate
I think UN has lost its power to run the world politcs. UN is under a US's 'pressure' because UN is supported mainly by US. So UN says what US wants. How to save UN it is a question. To tell the truth I think it is impossible, in next one-two hundert years at least.
regards
Ms.A.Z
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Ms.A.Z »

hi pirate

i heard about UN but i dont know really what it dose so can u tell me some thing about it..thanks bye
Last edited by Ms.A.Z on Tue May 11, 2004 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pirate
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Pirate »

http://www.un.org/Overview/brief.html

The United Nations is central to global efforts to solve problems that challenge humanity. Cooperating in this effort are more than 30 affiliated organizations, known together as the UN system. Day in and day out, the UN and its family of organizations work to promote respect for human rights, protect the environment, fight disease and reduce poverty. UN agencies define the standards for safe and efficient air travel and help improve telecommunications and enhance consumer protection. The United Nations leads the international campaigns against drug trafficking and terrorism. Throughout the world, the UN and its agencies assist refugees, set up programmes to clear landmines, help expand food production and lead the fight against AIDS.

How the UN works?
http://www.un.org/Overview/brief1.html

The United Nations was established on 24 October 1945 by 51 countries committed to preserving peace through international cooperation and collective security. Today, nearly every nation in the world belongs to the UN: membership totals 191 countries*.

When States become Members of the United Nations, they agree to accept the obligations of the UN Charter, an international treaty that sets out basic principles of international relations. According to the Charter, the UN has four purposes: to maintain international peace and security; to develop friendly relations among nations; to cooperate in solving international problems and in promoting respect for human rights; and to be a centre for harmonizing the actions of nations.

The United Nations is not a world government and it does not make laws. It does, however, provide the means to help resolve international conflicts and formulate policies on matters affecting all of us. At the UN, all the Member States — large and small, rich and poor, with differing political views and social systems — have a voice and a vote in this process.

The United Nations has six main organs. Five of them — the General Assembly, the Security Council, the Economic and Social Council, the Trusteeship Council and the Secretariat — are based at UN Headquarters in New York. The sixth, the International Court of Justice, is located at The Hague in the Netherlands.

Anyway that's what UN say about themselves!
U can visit their official website: http://www.un.org (it's very well-organized and nice)

See u later,
Pirate
Ms.A.Z
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Ms.A.Z »

hi pirate

thanks alot for giving me information about UN its more then i really needed....well from what u said in ur last messg i can see that UN has so many important and serious roles to play in this world ...but i dont see their effect any where.There is still poverty ,terrisum, hunger, drugs ,crimes , lack of safety and many more problems in the world which are still unsolved !!! so i guess i agree with monster i think UN has really lost its power..if it was effective then the world might have been a better place..but as the days passes its becoming worse then ever before.
Monster

Post by Monster »

hi everybody
All we know what is a destination of UN. To look after countries to avert possible future wars, crisises e.t.c. But the role of UN in modern world is very little. UN is ineffective. So there is a one question: do we need UN or it must be changed by other organization? If the answer is 'yes' , as the next question is: what a kind of an organization must it be? Who should run the new 'UN'. And the last quetion is : maybe the world in 21st century can be 'happy' without any organization like UN?

best regards
Monster

Post by Monster »

If someone like hitler will grip the power and unleash a new war UN will not stop him :!: UN is the main international organization so people think it has a nessessary power to stop such situations but in fact UN is not strong enough now to save the world :!: So UN must be changed by other more strong and independent organization :!:

regards
Peterson

Post by Peterson »

hi, everyone.
on the contrary, i think UN is a must now and future. what we can do is to improve and develop and enhance its role in keep peaceful for the globle. as many other countries well developed, more other members can join this organization to do something for it.maybe in a few decades, UN will take on a new look, i suppose. we are looking forward to the change. :shock:
fia

Re: United Nations Organization

Post by fia »

Monster wrote:hi pirate
I think UN has lost its power to run the world politcs. UN is under a US's 'pressure' because UN is supported mainly by US. So UN says what US wants. How to save UN it is a question. To tell the truth I think it is impossible, in next one-two hundert years at least.
regards
I am gonna say the same and agree with you a cute monster.
Arale
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Arale »

UN is an organization which solves global problems .Its role is very important .But it seems UN is not as strong as it was . UN did nothing to prevent the Iraq war . There are many American memmbers so sometimes decisions of UN are that of USA so it is not fair surely !

_Arale_
Monster

Post by Monster »

UN can do nothing with the biggest problem of the modern world - terror. It is the fact.
Arale
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Arale »

UN can do nothing with the biggest problem of the modern world - terror. It is the fact.
So is it important any more ? As for small problems can be solved by a single country or a group of countries.

_Arale_
Pirate
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Pirate »

To find the weekness and failure is much easier than to look at their positive affect from their non-stop effort.

We must admit that working for UN is always a huge dream of anybody and possessing an UN position is amazingly proud!

If you feel interested, why don't we talk about the MDGs (Millenium Development Goals) that UN is trying to achieve?
Monster

Post by Monster »

The world of our days has the only one force that may move things - us( or us army ). It is the proved fact. 8)
birrel

Post by birrel »

I wonder if the Un has worked out any conflict since its fundation. I think that it's a institution which serves for almost nothing. Kofi Anan's son has been much richer because of the corruption and the money stolen in the "money for oil" project
real_lord

my voice

Post by real_lord »

Hello :)))
I have read your discussion with the biggest interest though I cannot find the truth inside it. Namely I have read somewhere that the truth about United Nations – I mean the real reason of creating it was that some Jews in US – probably who escaped the tragedy of Holocaust in Europe or their relatives etc. decided to start an organisation that would make immposible to let for any genocide again. PREVENTION GENOCIDES – that is the reason of starting United Nations I know. United Nations head quarter is placed in New York as far as I know. And I was told once by a man who spent some years in Russian gulags, was a German profesor who taught in US that the financial brain of contemporary world is not in New York. It’s in London. He told me that London Jews rule the world. And I believe him. Really. In continent most of Jews were killed but in London Germans didn’t manage to reach them so they have their peaceful life there. I live about 70 kilometres from Autschwitz-Birkenau and I am not the kind of tourist that spits and makes disorder while visiting Auschwitz museum. I can always learn my lesson of history and I am silent about the fact that history goes always in circles. There is always something strange and terrible in history and historians are people who are beyond/outiside people who create history. They just register their deeds and write the truth down. To understand history of Europe must be probably something beyond possibility of people who are out of European cultural circle. It’s a Christian Culture and even though Vatican lost its polical role The Church and Middle Ages are still present on German TV. I would even take a risk to write that much more often you can watch something about Saint Teresa of Avilla on German TV than on Polish. Though it’s Poland not Germany that is seen as a religious country. Read about history of sanctions on Iraq (Oil for ...Food, ha?) and history of United Nations and have it clear Hussain is overthrown while Castro still rules – not saying a single word about hundreds of genocides that has been still happenning around the world. The last example is in Sudan province Darfur. But UN are helpless cause Russia and China have their oil business there and declared their voting against any UN intervention on this area.
http://peace.mennolink.org/articles/iraqsancthist.html
http://www.encyclopedia.com/html/section/un_history.asp
http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/history/A0861704.html
http://www.un.org/aboutun/history.htm
Cheers:)))
real_lord
real_lord

PS.

Post by real_lord »

That’s me again. I would like to present you some stuff about good Germans and mess in Congo. Sometimes I do wonder what good Polish people expect from Germans in future??? Another Auschwitz-Birkenau on Polish territory to be accused again that these camps were established by Polish people and were Polish idea how to get rid some Jews from continent??? Probably. The strangest thing in all mess is everyone in good US knew what was on in Europe and Hitler has never been normal since he became a Furher in …1933. But somehow no one cared. Interesting WHY??? As deals me I prefer to read about Congo. Much further. Nice reading and I beg you -don’t devaste neither historical places nor any public facilities during your eventual visitings!!!:)))
http://www.auschwitz-muzeum.oswiecim.pl ... /index.php
http://www.encyclopedia.com/html/sectio ... istory.asp

real_lord :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Pirate
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Pirate »

Dear Friend,

I would like to invite you to sign a petition hosted at
TakingITGlobal.org, a global community for young leaders.

To: Kofi Annan, Secretary General of the United Nations

Sir,

Currently, there are following are the 6 official UN languages

Chinese- 874 million
English- 341 million
Spanish- 322 million
Russian- 167 million
French- 72 million
Arabic- 42 million

* Source- The World 2004, Wikipedia

It is astonishing and unfortunate that with 366 million speakers, Hindi
is no where in this list. Let me put forward the case for the most
widely spoken language in the world's largest democracy, India.

1. Absolute Number of Speakers

Since we are increasingly living in a global society, the sheer number
of speakers for Hindi definitely bolsters its bid. Many languages
spoken through out the Indian Sub-Continent closely resemble Hindi and it
has a wide audience, both core and peripheral. Moreover, Hindi is the
second language or the language of wider communication (LWC) for most
parts of India.

2. Global Reach
Although it could be questioned whether this criteria is being met
currently by Arabic, Russian and Chinese on the UN list, our purpose simply
is to put forward a case for Hindi and not torpedo that of other
languages.

3. Reach and effectiveness of UN
Hindi with more then with 366 million speakers, must be included, If we
are making serious effort for an effective United Nation. The other 5,
except chinese, have fewer speaker then Hindi, then why Not Hindi.

Through out the world 11 countries* (including the United States and
the United Kingdom) in the world have over 1 million Indians, and as many
as 22 countries have Indians numbering over 100,000. Hindi is naturally
either the native language for them, or used as the LWC for
communicating with other Indians. Apart from the sub-continent, Hindi has
considerable speakers in South East Asia, Africa, Western Europe, Australasia
and North America.

* Source- The World 2004, Wikipedia

We hope that you would seriously give a thought to the injustice being
handed to Hindi by excluding it from the official UN languages list.
The UN would do the world a much greater service were it to hold out its
hand and reach out more effectively to the Hindi speakers of the world.

Sincerely,
Undersinged

Go to: http://petitions.takingitglobal.org/hindi to sign!

Thanks!

Amit Kumar

P.S. Petitions are created by TakingITGlobal Members, and may not
represent the views of TakingITGlobal as an organization!