EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Tsunami and tourism

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Tsunami and tourism

Postby TalkingPoint » Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:47 pm

Should tourists be going ahead with their holidays now in the countries which are still suffering the effects of the recent tsunami?
Last edited by TalkingPoint on Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TalkingPoint
EC Teacher
EC Teacher

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:22 pm

No. The whole world is chipping in their hearts and souls and money to help those poor victims. Tourists can take vacation any time or another time, but for this time of the year, they should be more considerated and warm-hearted.

Postby Arale » Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:30 am

Certainly not. Tourists are too scared to go on their holiday. Otherwise, the weather is still unstable so who knows what happens next? The air in the places suffered from tsunamis are polluted because of deaths too. It is surely not good for health.

_Arale_
Nothing lasts forever...
Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

It's up to you...

Postby olgacanlas » Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:11 pm

Many of the families in the devastated areas rely on tourism to feed their livelihoods. Places like the Maldives only have tourism to rely on.

I was in phuket when the tsunami occured. I am fortunate to be alive and to be able to tell you that the local Thai people are hospitable, resilient and strong, even in the midst of this disaster. They know that they must pick up whatever pieces they have left and carry on.[/b]
olgacanlas

tourists should visit the tsunami affected areas

Postby shezgillani » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:26 am

In my opinion tourists should definitely visit tsunami affected areas. For how long are we going to prevent the victims from facing a normal life? They donot need our sympathy but empathy. They want to see their lives same as it was before the disaster. The continuation of tourists activities will not only help the people boost their economic growth but will also enable them to realize that life is still going the same way and they have to keep moving with it. They have to pass the stages of grieving as soon as possible and have to work for their rehabilitation with new hopes.
shez:)
shezgillani

Postby viveo » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:40 pm

absolutely not, if you are tourists, will you go there?
What is love ?
viveo

Postby storm_silent » Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:20 pm

i think many are scared to go there and spend holidays ,, where the weather is still not confirmed to be stable ,,,

but i think they sould go there and try to have a normal life and give people there thier life back ,,,

[font=verdana]
Privilege of life is being who you are !!!
[/font]
storm_silent

Postby Honey » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:18 pm

Hi! :wink:

In fact, tourism has not been affected at all after the Tsumani: people think it's still time to help in the recovery of these places. I was amazed when, watching the news, I could see how tourists hepled in the construction of hew buildings, as well as temporal schools, etc.

However, it's not the same as before. Rather than a touristic trip, they do it to help people. It will take at least some months or even a couple of years to find these places as a touristic zone. :)
Honey
Silver Member

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:59 pm

Honey wrote:It will take at least some months or even a couple of years to find these places as a touristic zone. :)

It's one dangerous thing though. We always say, "don't mess with nature." After the Tsunami, the place is back to its wild, natural, beautiful scene than it was before the Tsunami. We, humans, had done an awful job to change a wild amazing sight to a touristic zone. That's the reason why I think Mother Nature's taken back whatever is her. We should leave the sight like that and try to think of another way to get benefits out of it.

Next

Return to Talking Point Discussion