EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Young People and Smoking

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Young People and Smoking

Postby TalkingPoint » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:08 pm

What is the best way to stop young people taking up smoking?
Last edited by TalkingPoint on Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TalkingPoint
EC Teacher
EC Teacher

best way to stop young people taking up smoking

Postby noha » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:23 pm

Hi TP, :)

I think the best way to stop young people taking up smoking is that we can show them the patients whom has a bad lung.

Because it shows BLACK colour not ROSE colour and they will be fright about their lung. :(

This is my suggestion. :wink:

Thanks.
Best love is home love.
noha
Silver Member

Postby Honey » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:40 pm

Hi! :mrgreen:

The behaviourist psychology suggests some possibilities to finish that habit. Two of them are:

- Insert the cigarette upside down in the mouth of the boy. After burning himself, he'd surely refrain from thinking about smoking.

- Take the boy/girl inside a car. Close the doors and windows and tell him to smoke all the cigarettes (s)he wants. You can see how long s/he will keep on smoking, and if he's able to continue after that.

I have some doubts, however, about these methods... I wonder if they'd survive to see the consequences. In that case, I'd agree with your advice, Noha. The best way is to show them the cosequences in a realistic and touching way. :wink:

See you! :mrgreen:
Honey
Silver Member

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:12 pm

Honey wrote:- Take the boy/girl inside a car. Close the doors and windows and tell him to smoke all the cigarettes (s)he wants. You can see how long s/he will keep on smoking, and if he's able to continue after that.

This is like my grandma's method, which she used on my cousins. It was about mangos though :lol: They told me that there was one day my grandma brought home a lot of mangos, and as for the rule in the house, fruits have to be on the ancestors's altar before we could actually have a bite of those. My cousins were so tempted with those mangos so they stole some and ate them before they were on the altar. My grandma found out. She told them to eat mangos nonstop for that day. Nothing else except mangos. After that day, they were sick of mangos. Now whenever they see mangos, they'll think of my grandma.

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:23 pm

There are several reasons why young people smoke. They are involved with peer pressure, popularity, self-esteem, anxiety, personal problems and so on. Thus, we can't educate them about the effect of smoking because the information is everywhere. Also, as being young and teen, they won't listen to anything. They think they're smart enough to know what's right and wrong and they can decide their own lives. Consequently, one way we need to do is we have to go deep down to solve the problem why they wanted to smoke and then try to find a solution for it. When the problem they're having is gone, they'll be more mature to know smoking is not good for their health and others's.

Postby Hardi » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:16 pm

Honey wrote:......
- Take the boy/girl inside a car. Close the doors and windows and tell him to smoke all the cigarettes (s)he wants. You can see how long s/he will keep on smoking, and if he's able to continue after that.
This method must be work. When I was young poy, I smoked only once.. It was so suffocating and.. well I ever never don't have smoked after that.
Hardi
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:54 pm

Hardi wrote:
Honey wrote:......
This method must be work. When I was young poy, I smoked only once.. It was so suffocating and.. well I ever never don't have smoked after that.

Well you were lucky and you were a smart guy then. Cigarettes have nicotine which makes you addicted to it and other 3000 chemicals that would damage your brain and body system. If you were in the car and were asked to smoke. At first, it would bother you since you never smoked before. But if you were asked to continue to smoke until you got sick of it. The effect would be different. Instead of getting sick of it, you would get used to it and start to like smoking. Eventually, you would get addicted to it so the method; instead, of keeping you from not smoking, it would make you smoke even more.

Postby Honey » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:50 am

simplyblessedwithlove wrote:This is like my grandma's method, which she used on my cousins. It was about mangos though :lol: They told me that there was one day my grandma brought home a lot of mangos, and as for the rule in the house, fruits have to be on the ancestors's altar before we could actually have a bite of those. My cousins were so tempted with those mangos so they stole some and ate them before they were on the altar. My grandma found out. She told them to eat mangos nonstop for that day. Nothing else except mangos. After that day, they were sick of mangos. Now whenever they see mangos, they'll think of my grandma.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Oops! I'm so sorry for your cousins! :lol:

Cigarettes have nicotine which makes you addicted to it and other 3000 chemicals that would damage your brain and body system.

Aughh!!! :?
That's a potential disadvantage when someone's trying to stop smoking. Yet, lots of smokers have overcome that addiction with a powerful will...
After a psychiatrist, maybe. But they do. It's a proof that mind can really control the body. :wink:

See you!
Honey
Silver Member

Postby carvy » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:30 am

Hi all, I try to tell you a story from my schooltime. The only problem is it, that my English is at the moment not so good, because i haven`t spoke or wrote it the last 6 years... now I have to improve it and I hope you will correct me if it is very uncorrect what I write.

When I was 12 years old, my sport teacher has offer everyone from my class a bet over 10 DM (now EUR). The contents from the bet was it, that nobody smokes only one cigarette till he/she is 18 year old. Everyone has become a document were the bet was written down. The school in germany ends with a university entrance qualification, and while we was celebrating this event, our sport teacher goes to everyone who has bet with him and asked him or her if he/she has smoke a cigarette till this day. He has keep all documents and... From 35 schoolkids 19 must had to pay 10 DM and 16 get 10 DM.
carvy

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:21 am

Honey wrote:
Cigarettes have nicotine which makes you addicted to it and other 3000 chemicals that would damage your brain and body system.

Aughh!!! :?
That's a potential disadvantage when someone's trying to stop smoking. Yet, lots of smokers have overcome that addiction with a powerful will...
After a psychiatrist, maybe. But they do. It's a proof that mind can really control the body. :wink:

See you!

The method would make you scare at first. But then when the fear is gone leaving space for nicotine to kick in, you would become an addicted person. And then you'd have to fight with yourself to get out of addiction. So it would be weird to me if it would work.

Next

Return to Talking Point Discussion