EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Vegetarian diet???

This forum combines the former Food & Drink and Health & Fitness forums. Post your ideas here!

Moderators: Dixie, EC

Re: Vegetarian diet???

Postby Luis » Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:06 pm

Strawberry wrote:What are the benefits of a vegetarian diet, please?

In my opinion a strict vegetarian diet has no benefits, on the contrary is not healthy. One of the most important things in human diet is the vast variety of different kind of foods, that we can eat. This fact is easy to point out when we were ill, and doctors advice us not to eat some food, the reduction of the choice of the food provoke that your diet became boring. One of the advantages of not eating animal food, it is that your cholesterol levels do not be increased, and this is good for your heart, because it is difficult to suffer from a collapse, on the other hand animal food bring to you vitamins, essential oils and other nutrients very important for the development of your body.
Luis

Vegetarian diet

Postby lilli » Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:28 am

Hi,
I think that vegetarian diet is not very good because in meat, poultry and other food from animals are useful for our life and our body.
lilli

Postby laura adyeni » Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:16 pm

Anonymous wrote:
:D :lol: :D

I think going strictly vegetarian does not prove healthy in the long run. of course thousands of people have turned to vegetarianism claiming among many other things that vegetarians don't have to srtuggle with weight issues, which is a huge plus in this anorexia-bullimia era where almost everyone is trying to look their best, and where almost everyone fails. having taken care of the weight issue, vegetarians also claim that people who don't eat meat tend to suffer less stress, they sort of munch their way through life, taking life in stride. my personal opinion might be shadowed by all this, but the fact is that i've known people who not only have become vegetarians, they have gone to the extremes of eating only raw veggies, imagin that, i bet you can hear their stomach growling all the way to Texas, and imagine how their teeth suffer from all that grinding. let alone their physical appearence, all washed out, and pale, faint as a withered flower. by the way, you don't suppose vegetarians have lost their sexual appetite as well, do you? well, anyway...

Now, you see, nobody can argue this; Meat is delicious, period.
It makes for variety, why would anyone want to turn down a scrumptuous big mac or a juicy wellington. vegetarians proudly sit at a retaurant table and order their wierd-looking salads while permanently drooling over your t-bone, i'm sure youv'e noticed it uh?
laura adyeni

Postby Arale » Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:46 pm

Vegetarian diet may understand as a dietary meal or the meal of a monk/nun.Which one do you refer to then? :wink:

_Arale_
Arale
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby nammm » Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:58 pm

I dont think that there is any disadavantage to have vegetarian diet,and it is quite good!!Some people think that vegetarian can not get nutrients as much as much other people eating meat but it isnt.Soya bean is good choice to replace the nutrients in meat,so vegetarian can also have enough intake of different nutrients.
nammm

Re: what are the benefits of vegetarian diet?

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:59 pm

ruizhu wrote:I want to know what is the accurate means of vegetarian diet? Is it the diet only consists of vegetables without any other foods even fruits or beans, not mention to meat or the fat of any animals.

There are three types of vegetarians: lacto-vegetarians, strict vegetarians, and partial vegetarians. There are several differences between those three types of vegetarians. For lacto-vegetarians, their diet includes milk and other dairy products. For vegans, or strict vegetarians, they don't consume animal flesh (meat, poultry, fish and seafood), animal products (eggs, dairy and honey), and the wearing and use of animal products (eg. leather, silk, wool, lanolin, gelatin). Their diet consists totally of vegetables, vegetable oils, and seeds.
For partial vegetarians, their diet consists some groups of animal foods but not others; this is mostly based on religious point of view.

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:13 pm

Being a vegetarian is a personal choice such as thinking of killing animals is inhumane (ethical belief), religious belief, health, etc. If one thinks being a vegetarian would help him/her lose weight or look better then that person should rethink how to plan his/her diet. It's because as with any diet, vegetarians should have a diverse and well-planned diet for optimal health, consuming the right amount of proteins, carbohydrates, fats, etc. on the food pyramid.

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:16 pm

Arale wrote:Vegetarian diet may understand as a dietary meal or the meal of a monk/nun.Which one do you refer to then? :wink:

_Arale_

"A belief that continues in Theravada Buddhism from its Vedic roots is that the killing of larger animals results in more bad karma than that of smaller ones, so it would be less bad to kill a chicken than a cow. This is due to the greater intention and effort required to kill the larger animal. Furthermore, fish are considered of lesser importance than mammals.

In the modern Buddhist world, attitudes toward vegetarianism vary by location. In China and Vietnam, monks typically eat no meat (and with other restrictions as well – see Buddhist cuisine). In Japan or Korea some schools do not eat meat, while most do. Theravadans in Sri Lanka and Southeast Asia do not practice vegetarianism. All Buddhists however, including monks, are allowed to practice vegetarianism if they wish to do so."

(wikipedia.com)

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:20 pm

laura adyeni wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
:D :lol: :D

Now, you see, nobody can argue this; Meat is delicious, period.
It makes for variety, why would anyone want to turn down a scrumptuous big mac or a juicy wellington.
vegetarians proudly sit at a retaurant table and order their wierd-looking salads while permanently drooling over your t-bone, i'm sure youv'e noticed it uh?

A person who thinks killing other animals is inhumane would argue about this. :roll:

Re: Vegetarian diet

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:22 pm

lilli wrote:Hi,
I think that vegetarian diet is not very good because in meat, poultry and other food from animals are useful for our life and our body.

Scientists have proved that,
"Vegetarians have lower rates of obesity, coronary heart disease, high blood pressure, large bowel disorders, cancers and gallstones." - British_Medical_Association

"Vegetarians often live longer and suffer less from several chronic diseases." - ADA

"Vegetarians have half to three-quarters the risk of dying of heart disease compared to non-vegetarians." - PCRM

"Cancer rates among vegetarians are 25-50 per cent less than non-vegetarians." - PCRM

"Hypertension (high blood pressure) in vegetarians is one third to one half that of meat eaters." - PCRM

"Diabetes is much less likely to be a cause of death in vegetarians" - ADA

"Vegetarians have a much lower incidence of Caesarean section." - PCRM

"95 per cent of all food poisoning comes from meat and animal products" - British Medical Association

(wikipedia.com)

PreviousNext

Return to Food & Fitness