EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Fame. Is it the new religion?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Postby TalkingPoint » Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:50 pm

Fame. Is it the new religion? People used to worship god(s); now they worship film stars, sports players, princesses and pop singers. In the past people respected faith, now they respect fame.
Last edited by TalkingPoint on Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
TalkingPoint
EC Teacher
EC Teacher

Fame - Religion?

Postby Sheff » Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:31 am

If fame is the new religion, then we can take comfort in the fact it will not last long. I think we are all entiled to our fifteen minutes of fame (religion)?
Sheff

Postby annika petrozzi » Tue Sep 23, 2003 4:06 pm

I don't really think it is true. Most people like to be famous, but the way to do it is very hard.
In a religion you pray to God, you with your community participate in many activities and you care for the well-being of others; if you had the fame of a god, you would only think of yourself.
annika petrozzi

Re: Fame. Is it the new religion?

Postby kemfisz » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:37 am

I agree with this opinion. Some people do everything to become fame. All these reality shows - take part to them is means five minutes of flame. It is horrible. kemfisz

Is fame the new religion? People used to worship god(s), now they worship film stars, sports players, princesses and pop singers. In the past people respected faith, now they respect fame. Do you agree?[/quote]
I'm from Poland. I would like to improve my English. Then, I would like meet people from all over the world.
kemfisz

It is terrible

Postby hamid » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:32 am

I agree with you.Many young man and woman like to be fame.
Beacase they can not be fame they worship other famous peopel.It is terrible!
hamid

Postby Dithzie » Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:33 am

I don't think so. Fame doesn't last but religion endures...
Iamwhoam
Dithzie

Postby Honey » Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:19 pm

I partially agree. First, thinking of myself and only myself isn't a new thing. Yet, in these generations, this attitude is more evident. I also agree in the fact that it's ephemeral, it doesn't last (thank heaven!). What I'd say is that people forget religion for their proud. However, these selfish people can't neither worship themselves nor talke a look at someone else.

They're going nuts!!! :roll:
Honey
Silver Member

Postby crazyoddygal » Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:06 pm

i think people now desire to have the FAME bcos they see the power and money in that kind of thing.
some seem to admire crazily a film star or a pop singer. but they can change their mind in a moment. so this can't prove that people love fame. if they love fame, they want themselves to be famous, not those strange stars.
ashes to ashes
dust to dust ...
crazyoddygal
Silver Member

fame and us....

Postby Anin » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:46 pm

I think not all the people desire to be famous, some of them are even afraid of it. But, what attracts them is money and a comfortable life without any fears or worries. In Slovakia, has recently ended one TV singing competition. And the attitudes of the main protagonists were various. Some of them had been happy about it, the others were bothered by it and there was even one who couldn´t cope with it and give it up untimely.
I think people look on the fame only in the positive way. But all coins has two faces...
Hi I am 18 and I would like to change my opinions with you.
Anin

Re: Fame. Is it the new religion?

Postby rakyung » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:39 pm

It's true.I agree with this opinion. Someone do everything to become fame. All these reality shows - take part in them is means five minutes of flame. It is horrible.

Is fame the new religion? People used to worship god, now they worship film stars, sports players, princesses and pop singers. In the past people respected faith, now they respect fame. I think the problem is celibrity.
rakyung

Next

Return to Talking Point Discussion