EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

proverb

English grammar help. Grammar questions from ESL learners

Moderator: Alan

proverb

Postby Hela » Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:09 am

Dear teachers,

Lately, I have seen the film "Shining" with Jack Nicholson. The character in the film wrote a sentence over and over again with his type writer but I can't remember it anymore. It was translated in French by the proverb "Un tiens vaut mieux que deux tu l'auras" = "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." Could anyone help me find the missing words? It started like this: "All work ............ Jack .........."
If someone remembers the sentence could you tell me if it has the same meaning as "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"? Was the translation correct ?

Many thanks,
Hela
Hela
Platinum Member

Postby navi » Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:17 am

I think it is:
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
The meaning is clear I think.
But the French translation you give is incorrect. Maybe there is no French proverb that corresponds to this one. If I remember correctly, the meaning of the proverb wasn't really that important. What was more important was that it was a proverb, a pre-fabricated sentence he kept typing over and over. So, seeing that there was no French equivalent, the translator put in another proverb.
navi
Gold Member

Postby Hela » Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:52 am

Dear Navi,

Thank you for your help. It is much appreciated.

Best regards,
Hela
Hela
Platinum Member

Return to Grammar Help