Alan
Teacher/Moderator
Teacher/Moderator

Post by Alan »

Your sentence is correct.
Fido

Post by Fido »

Many thanks indeed.

Just a little correction to my previous post. The question mark wasn`t meant to be there. (I` d better proofread before posting) But the thing that had me scratching my head is his and its reference to either William or Arthur.

Although English is extremely rich in vocubulary, it`s quite poor in grammar and some structures are missing. In this case, I can`t tell who the sword belongs to as it refers to either one, I believe. (I`d like to get it confirmed) Maybe I`m just plain dumb, but I can`t think of any substitution for his, without changing the word order, to make the sentence exclusive.

I have to alter the sentence quite significantly, and yet I don`t get what I want.

Only the passive seems to indicate the owner of this sword without ambiguity.

Arthur has been stabbed by William`s knife.

Could you please give me the sentence in the active, or at least some pointers so that I can sleep well?
Alan
Teacher/Moderator
Teacher/Moderator

Post by Alan »

Only sense/context can determine the referent of 'his' here. In a situation where it is important to be absolutely clear as to ownership, we have no choice but to name the possessor, however inelegant or repetitive that might be. The name would often be added parenthetically thus

William stabbed Arthur with his (William's) sword.