EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Young People and Smoking

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Re: simple solution...

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:21 pm

sky888walker wrote:Issue the following regulation:

Everyone can smoke but he/she must use closed helmet whilst smoking and no smoke may leak out until he/she is finished smoking.

Any violation of this rule, should be beaten 100000000 times.
lool

Talking about dictatorship and old-age. :lol:

Postby Dream » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:09 am

So my parents don't smoke but I do. My cousin's parents smoke and she doesn't. I can find a thread here: I never felt smoke at home so for me to test a cigarette was something new, interested that I have never tasted before. She (my cousin) inhaled smoke since her childhood and she started to hate it inside her mind and she understood by her second ego she would never smoke. So she doesn't smoke now.

I have another example: my father smoke a lot. I don't smoke and never try, but my brother smoke. I don't think only family influences on a person, it depends on many other things (may be some stress situation) or people who are near :!: .
Of course, smoking is not good, but every person makes his own choice. It's neccessary to give an advice to the person who begin smoke, but not prohibit!
...Be happy...
Dream

how to stop

Postby Anin » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:32 pm

Well,
I do agree with that opinion about the will. It is the most impostant thing when one wants to stop smoking. Without the strong , iron will nothing helps.
And referring to smoking children I would say that the same thing, although in their case, the strong will should be used to resist the outside pressure (friends, mass media estc.)
Anyway, the example from parents is also extremely important. :tick:
Hi I am 18 and I would like to change my opinions with you.
Anin

Postby tandedao » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:57 pm

Smoking is really a big problem in the world.
Everyone should pay attention to its bad effection.
tandedao
Silver Member

Postby openboy » Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:19 pm

I am somking. But I hate somke, because it's a mistake to me. I don't like it, but I feel like don't leave it. My God.
openboy

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:28 am

Try nicotin patches. They should be the ones that help although most cases they don't, but who knows.

Postby manrat » Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:47 am

Not too long ago I read a newspaper article about smoking in Germany. It said that approx. one quarter of all German 15-year-olds smoke. There is a project in Heidelberg, called "No Butts". It wants to bring teenagers between 12 and 17 to a hospital specializing in lung disease and give them a firsthand look at the devastation caused by smoking. They interviewed the project leader in this article and he said that the shock-tactic education often has an immediate resonance and many attendees leave his seminars vowing to quit. So far so good ... but he added it often fails to translate into quitting smoking :( They also try to reach and educate the kids who have not yet started to smoke.
manrat
Gold Member

Postby Coolfish » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:02 am

I think smoking is a habbit. Young people are easy to be changed by the ones around him such as friends, parents. We can teache them a good living habbit by TV or other media. This might be the best way.
Last edited by Coolfish on Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coolfish
Silver Member

Postby MissLT » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:16 am

Coolfish wrote:I think smoking is a habbit. Young people are easy to be changed by the ones around him such as friends, parents. We can teacher them a good living habbit by TV or other media. This might be the best way.

My cousin got curious about smoking when he was 10. He started smoking around that age and not only smoking cigarettes, he tried to smoke other things also. He's addicted to smoking; it's not just a habit to him any longer. Now it's become a must-to-do thing. He can't go for an hour or two without having a cigarette. I think when people get addicted to smoking, it will no longer be their habit or their way of getting out their problems, it's become a must. Really dangerous. That's why I hate smokers.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Coolfish » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:26 am

Hi LennyeTran,
Truly, it is quite difficult to quit of smoking. Maybe the longer the smoker is, and the more difficult the quitting is. But I think it should be much easier when he just began to smoke, since it was not a must-to-do thing yet.
Most of young people were just curious when they started smoking. They didn't know whether it is right or not, or what effort it is. Although you told them, most cases they wouldn't listen to you.
If we made the no-smoking become a style of life or even a fasion, then we could change young people easily.
Coolfish
Silver Member

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion