EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Australian authors

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Postby Shazzam » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:09 am

Banjo Patterson was one Australian author that comes to mind. Not only was he a great poet but he was a story writer as well. It is claimed that alot of his written work was actually published under another name. I would love to get some more information on that. In fact I think that you have inspired me into doing some research.

Colleen McCulloch another great Australia writer. She wrote "the Thorn Birds".

GOOD TOPIC! :D
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Dixie » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:03 am

In college, I took a compulsory subject on Australian literature. I remember readind a novel by David Maalouf. Does his name ring a bell? The novel I read was called Fly away, Peter.
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby Shazzam » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:58 am

Dixie wrote:In college, I took a compulsory subject on Australian literature. I remember readind a novel by David Maalouf. Does his name ring a bell? The novel I read was called Fly away, Peter.

Hi Dixie. David Malouf was actually born in Brisbane which is in Queensland Australia in 1934. The book that you mentioned I have to admit I haven't read; but I think I might.....

Fly Away Peter, 1981 (aka The Bread of Time to Come)

He also has alot of other novels to his credit; I found some out from friends and some from the internet:

An Imaginery Life
Harlands Halt Acre
The Great WOrld

This is only a few. I'm so glad you brought this writer to my attention. I must admit I had never heard of him before. What did you think of his books? Also can you give me an idea of his styling. I might try and get some from the Library.... :idea:
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Dixie » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:15 pm

I just read that one. The subject dealt with the literature of Canada, Australia and New Zealand and that, obviously, was too much for a whole semester.

I don't remember much about Fly Away, Peter. I recall "Peter" was a bird and the main characters of the novel were two or three people who worshipped birds. I think there was a war, too; but I am not sure since it's been a few years and don't remember :D
Dixie

Return to Books & Authors