EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Inventions we can't live without

Post or ask for ideas and opinions about different subjects here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Postby shokin » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:26 pm

Let us act by the voluntary simplicity !

simplicité volontaire

In summary : consuming less, consuming equitable, consuming ecolo.

For preserving the good health of each of our environments : the nature, the family, the village, the city, the country, the society, the web, etc.

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.
shokin
Polished Diamond Member

Postby MissLT » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:10 am

vince90 wrote:I think the most important thing that we need is electricity.

This is true. Don't you remember the time we were in Vietnam and sometimes we got blackout for hours??? I still do. The last time I and my family came back, there was a blackout for about half an hour. It brough back the memory. I had a really good childhood there. Gosh, I remember I was walking around the neighborhood shirtless (I was 6 year-old, guys) with my dinner bowl. Kids in my neighborhood brought food outside their houses so we could eat and play the games at the same time. Awwwwww, old days.....
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby vince90 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:08 pm

LennyeTran wrote:
vince90 wrote:I think the most important thing that we need is electricity.

This is true. Don't you remember the time we were in Vietnam and sometimes we got blackout for hours??? I still do. The last time I and my family came back, there was a blackout for about half an hour. It brough back the memory. I had a really good childhood there. Gosh, I remember I was walking around the neighborhood shirtless (I was 6 year-old, guys) with my dinner bowl. Kids in my neighborhood brought food outside their houses so we could eat and play the games at the same time. Awwwwww, old days.....

Yes I remember those old days. We were fun and we were never worry anything Although I did not live in the city but I knew that blackout in Vietnam is part of our daily life. However when you live in America or western countries, blackout is a big impact to anybody. Do you remember 2003 North America blackout? It’s kind of scary. http://www.answers.com/topic/2003-north ... a-blackout
vince90
Platinum Member

Postby MissLT » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:09 pm

vince90 wrote: Yes I remember those old days. We were fun and we were never worry anything Although I did not live in the city but I knew that blackout in Vietnam is part of our daily life. However when you live in America or western countries, blackout is a big impact to anybody. Do you remember 2003 North America blackout? It’s kind of scary. http://www.answers.com/topic/2003-north ... a-blackout

I don't think I remember it, and I don't think we did have it in California. It seems like the longest time I have experienced a blackout in California lasted only one to five minutes once time, and that's pretty much it.
Blackout in Vietnam is quite different. It's on schedule most of the time and it depends on districts also. My family in Vietnam paid extra money to have another switched line, so whenever there was a blackout, our line would switch to another so we wouldn't lose the electricity.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby vince90 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:40 pm

It was a big time and it cost billions of dollars. Peoples were without food and water in some areas. Here is the list of cities where it impacted.

City and Number of people affected

New York City and Surrounding Areas - 21,100,000
Toronto - 5,600,000
Detroit - 5,400,000
Cleveland - 2,900,000
Ottawa - 780,000 of 1,120,000*
Buffalo - 1,100,000
Rochester - 1,050,000
Hamilton - 680,000
London - 350,000
Toledo - 310,000
Windsor - 208,000
Estimated Tota ] //www.cbc.ca/news/background/poweroutage/numbers.html) 50,000,000
vince90
Platinum Member

Postby MissLT » Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:28 pm

Wow, it was serious. That's one thing in a modernized and industrialized country, mostly everything relies on electricity. We're doomed if it's out. I wonder if we're going too fast since nothing is wrong with using candles, isn't it? :?
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Mina » Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:58 pm

LennyeTran wrote:
Mina wrote:hi!!!

I would lose my will of living if I couldn´t listen to my cds. I wouldn´t know what to do without my stereo.I can listen to music on the internet too, but it is not the same.
It is too painful to think about it...

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

My cousins are like that when we're on a trip and if they don't have their CD player with them; they would get really grouchy. Quite scary to sit next to them around that time :lol: .

:D :D :D are you cousins kids?! They must be cute!!
Mina
Silver Member

Postby MissLT » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:38 pm

Mina wrote: :D :D :D are you cousins kids?! They must be cute!!

They're around 15 to 30. I have a big extended family 8) .
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Previous

Return to Ideas and Opinions