DESSERT WINES! Does anyone have any suggestions?

This forum combines the former Food & Drink and Health & Fitness forums. Post your ideas here!

Moderator: EC

Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

DESSERT WINES! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Post by Shazzam »

I am going to have a dinner party in three weeks time. I have had many dinner parties but I have decided to do something a little different.

I have never bought a dessert wine in my life and from what I have been told you have to be very careful what sort of dessert you serve with certain dessert wines.

Does anyone have any suggestions; or a favorite dessert wine they could recommend?
:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: 8)
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Well, I know many good wine brands but they are Catalan and Spanish wines so I don't think you can find them there...

Catalan: Priorat, Penedès...
Spanish: Rioja...

I tried, though... Good luck, honey ;)
Last edited by Dixie on Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: DESSERT WINES! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Post by MissLT »

shazzam1452 wrote:I am going to have a dinner party in three weeks time. I have had many dinner parties but I have decided to do something a little different.

I have never bought a dessert wine in my life and from what I have been told you have to be very careful what sort of dessert you serve with certain dessert wines.

Does anyone have any suggestions; or a favorite dessert wine they could recommend?
I have Instyle magazine sent to me every month, and in that magazine there is a little section of how to have a bbq time or hold a party. It includes everything from main course meal to dessert and cocktail. If you're interested, I'll scan the copies out and send them to you :wink: .
shokin
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by shokin »

Rioja is very good ! My friend bought it in Valencia and brought it to us !

I like very much the Muscat, too !

In Switzerland we have the "fendant" (="cabernet sauvignon").

The "malvoisie" and "la petite arvine" are aussi in my favourites dessert wines !

The Sauterne is very good, too.

I suppose there are many others that I don't know, but google can help us !

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Shazzam »

LennyeTran wrote:
shazzam1452 wrote:I am going to have a dinner party in three weeks time. I have had many dinner parties but I have decided to do something a little different.

I have Instyle magazine sent to me every month, and in that magazine there is a little section of how to have a bbq time or hold a party. It includes everything from main course meal to dessert and cocktail. If you're interested, I'll scan the copies out and send them to you :wink: .
Thanks Lenny but I've got the menu planned. It was a dessert wine! I haven't bought one or even tried one before. So I was wondering what other people had tried and like. Thanks though! 8) :)
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Shazzam »

shokin wrote:Rioja is very good ! My friend bought it in Valencia and brought it to us !

I like very much the Muscat, too !

In Switzerland we have the "fendant" (="cabernet sauvignon").

The "malvoisie" and "la petite arvine" are aussi in my favourites dessert wines !

The Sauterne is very good, too.

I suppose there are many others that I don't know, but google can help us !

Shokin
Wow! Excellent I have written down the wines that you have suggested I will check out the bottleshop next time I'm there for these brands.

Thanks so much for the information! 8)
vince90
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by vince90 »

I like "Yellow Tail" brand Australian wine. It's so smooth. I don't know they have desert wine for this brand or not. Since you live there you may want to check it out.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

shazzam1452 wrote: Thanks Lenny but I've got the menu planned. It was a dessert wine! I haven't bought one or even tried one before. So I was wondering what other people had tried and like. Thanks though! 8) :)
What kinda dessert are you planning to make?
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Shazzam »

LennyeTran wrote:
shazzam1452 wrote: Thanks Lenny but I've got the menu planned. It was a dessert wine! I haven't bought one or even tried one before. So I was wondering what other people had tried and like. Thanks though! 8) :)
What kinda dessert are you planning to make?
Strawberry flan (very sweet) with cinamon cream! YUM :)

There goes the waistline again!! :wink:
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Shazzam »

I didn't have to worry about the dessert wine a friend brought some with them. It was PEACH SCHNAPPS I think that is the spelling. Yummy! 8) I was very :D after a couple of glasses. If I had anymore than a couple I think I would have been rolling around :lol: :lol:
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

i've no idea about wines. they all taste similar too me LoL ;p