EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

What is the latest book you have read recently?

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Postby Lalee » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:20 am

Today I started reading another book written by Charles Dickens. It's going smoothly so far. :)
I'm planning to read a different book every week. Let's see how it goes.
Lalee
Rough Diamond Member

Postby MissLT » Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:38 pm

Lalee wrote:Today I started reading another book written by Charles Dickens. It's going smoothly so far. :)
I'm planning to read a different book every week. Let's see how it goes.

That's what I usually do in the summer. I write down all the books people have recommended me to read during the year or books on the best-sellers list. Then I borrow them at the library. At my area, we can keep a book for three weeks and we can borrow up till 40 books per week. Thus, in one summer I can read over 20 books.
If you read them in English, you will be amazed of how your English will be improved. Their style of writing will also influent yours. I think you're on a right track of becoming a good writer. Keep it up :wink: .
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Dixie » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:32 am

Lalee wrote:Today I started reading another book written by Charles Dickens.

You're reading Dickens? What book? Let me know what you think about it when you finish! ;)
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby Lalee » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:32 am

Wow. 40 books is a lot. You are so lucky, Lennye. Wait, is it four or forty? :roll:
At the library where I usually borrow books, you have only two weeks to read them and just can borrow two books per week, that is. Of course you can always renew the book.

Thanks for the encouragement, by the way. I always try to read in English as much as possible. :D
Lalee
Rough Diamond Member

Postby MissLT » Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:14 pm

Lalee wrote:Wow. 40 books is a lot. You are so lucky, Lennye. Wait, is it four or forty? :roll:

40, four zero, cutie :wink: .
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Lalee » Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:20 am

Dixie wrote:
Lalee wrote:Today I started reading another book written by Charles Dickens.

You're reading Dickens? What book? Let me know what you think about it when you finish! ;)

The title of the book is "Great Expectations."
Earlier I was catching up with my reading and I stopped when I was on page 40 or something.
The book is not big at all. As a matter of fact, it's pretty small. I think it's about 100 pages long.
Dix, I'll let you know about it as soon as I'm done with it. :wink:
Last edited by Lalee on Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lalee
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Lalee » Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:31 am

LennyeTran wrote:40, four zero, cutie :wink: .

:o 40 is a lot, Lennye. I wish there were a library like that here. Libraries here suck ass! :cry:
Lalee
Rough Diamond Member

Postby MissLT » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:13 pm

Lalee wrote: :o 40 is a lot, Lennye. I wish there were a library like that here. Libraries here suck ass! :cry:

Yeah but amazingly enough, some people still complain about it. Last time I had to do a project about a culture, so I needed to find books of it. I came to the library at 9 something (it's open at 10), I was waiting outside and there were already bunch of people waiting at the door. They were talking so loud. I made a conversation with a group of college students (it was fun). We came to a point about how many books we could borrow at the library, and they were bitter because they could only borrow 40 books :roll: . So weird....
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Dixie » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:44 pm

Lalee wrote:The title of the book is "Great Expectations."

I have that book. I started reading it but didn't finish. It bored me to death!! I'm sorry to say that, master Dickens! Maybe I should try starting it again. Focus!!
Dixie

Postby serenella » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:46 pm

I don't like Dickens, too. He was surely a great writer, but I don't like reading his books: besides being boring, I think they are too realistic, pessimistic, sad.
serenella
Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to Books & Authors