EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Do we have to be Christian to celebrate Christmas?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:33 pm

My family is Buddhist, but we DO celebrate Christmas. We don't do it like Christian people do it, though. We don't go to church. We don't do prayer. We only have a big family dinner and then hanging around, talking to each other, playing cards, singing karaoke, watching movies to wait for midnight. At midnight, we open our presents, taking pictures, hugging each other, and that's the end of a Christmas night. It doesn't sound like fun when I say it like this, but it's really fun in real life. Christmas is always my best winter holidays of the year since I have one month for winter break. :)

What is Christmas... or what is to celebrate something?

Postby pob » Sun May 29, 2005 11:32 am

I think the most people like party and doing something different, I don't think much people celebrate Christmas as what it "should" be, but they celebrate a pair of weeks (if your job allows you ;O) ) when you stay with family or do other things...
pob
Silver Member

Postby Shazzam » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:58 am

I can't see why anyone who is not Christian would want to celebrate Christmas. I mean after all christians are celebrating the birth of Christ. If you aren't christian why would you want to celebrate his birth. If you still want to have a party on this day it shouldn't be in celebration of christ. It doesn't make any sense! :? :o :roll:
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member

Postby pob » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:59 am

shazzam1452 wrote:I mean after all christians are celebrating the birth of Christ. :

;O) December 25 is not the day of Christ's birth, is the day of an ancient tradition Christians "absorved" in the Christianism in order to make those people stop believing in ancient traditions and believe in Christianism ;O)

The world didn't started with Adan and Eva... etc

There was a lot of traditions, religions, wisdom... before Jesus ;)
pob
Silver Member

Postby Shazzam » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:12 am

pob wrote:
shazzam1452 wrote:I mean after all christians are celebrating the birth of Christ. :

;O) December 25 is not the day of Christ's birth, is the day of an ancient tradition Christians "absorved" in the Christianism in order to make those people stop believing in ancient traditions and believe in Christianism ;O)

The world didn't started with Adan and Eva... etc

There was a lot of traditions, religions, wisdom... before Jesus ;)

Your point is?? My comments wasn't about history it was that christians celebrate Christs birth on that day!
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member

Re: Christianly

Postby Shazzam » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:33 am

NOUBARA wrote:
Seyda wrote:ın my opinion everybody must celebrate their own festival about their religion.

Christmas is a festval celebrated longtime ago by christian to commemorate their link to Jesus. I think that muslims and other religious also believe in Jesus as the first Prophet before Mohamed. So they could celebrate this festival in order to express this fath. They are free to celebrate it

I think everyone has the right to celebrate this day if the chose too. I really liked your comments it is good to see that there are still people in this world that have an open heart. 8)
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member

Re: Christianly

Postby MissLT » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:01 am

shazzam1452 wrote: I think everyone has the right to celebrate this day if the chose too. I really liked your comments it is good to see that there are still people in this world that have an open heart. 8)

Christians celebrate it by going to church and dinner; non-Christians celebrate it by having dinner and not going to church. As for my case, I and some of my relative celebrate it in a non-Christian's way while some other relatives celebrate in a Christian's way. I'll explain you all why it happens like this. Well, my extended family is a Catholic born since the time of my great great-grandpa; however, my grandma and her children, except one, are Buddhists. Well, my grandma was a Catholic born, but she converted to Buddhism because of two reasons. One, my grandpa hated religions; therefore, he forbidded my grandma to practice it during their marriage. Two, she found Buddhism in hard times and found herself related to it, so she practiced it even my grandpa hated it. She chose Buddhism over her marriage, and my grandpa had to live with her new interest. Since my extended family has a mix of both religion, we think it's best for us non-Catholics to celebrate it with them except we don't need to go to church. All we do is having dinner, exchanging presents, playing games, and having fun with them all together. It's nice to spend time together, and it's nice to have presents. We only have two presents per year for birthday and Vietnamese New Year, so this day is an excuse for us non-Christians to have some presents. We love presents; therefore, we don't care what day it's supposed to be :lol: .
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Shazzam » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:31 am

I think Christmas Day is about love, peace and togetherness. I doesn't matter why you celebrate this day, the fact that you celebrate it with your family and people that you love is exactly what this time of year is about. 8)
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Rui » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:39 am

i guess this question take us to other question, who celebrate the birth of jesus in christmas? i know it's sad but i guess some of the kids in portugal not even know what we are celebrating, they just wanna the presents because christmas has become in to market party where the marketing offices have a lot of work trying to seel everything that you could ever imagine, so it's a faze of the year when everybody buy everything for the kids, friends and relatives.... so the concept of jesus in my opinion it's very far away of that, i'm not putting myself out of this society, i live and i make the things like the others do, and I can be wrong but it’s what I feel.

P.S.- Sorry about my english, it's difficult to talk about a serious situations when you don't have grammar and vocabulary skills
Rui
Platinum Member

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion