EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.


Do we have to be Christian to celebrate Christmas?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Postby Shazzam » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:56 am

Rui wrote:i guess this question take us to other question, who celebrate the birth of jesus in christmas? i know it's sad but i guess some of the kids in portugal not even know what we are celebrating, they just wanna the presents because christmas has become in to market party where the marketing offices have a lot of work trying to seel everything that you could ever imagine, so it's a faze of the year when everybody buy everything for the kids, friends and relatives.... so the concept of jesus in my opinion it's very far away of that, i'm not putting myself out of this society, i live and i make the things like the others do, and I can be wrong but it’s what I feel.

P.S.- Sorry about my english, it's difficult to talk about a serious situations when you don't have grammar and vocabulary skills


I think you have put your opinion across very well. I do agree with you about the concept of Christmas. I feel that alot of what a child embraces comes from their upbringing. For example: church, school, family. If a child is brought up in a christian household (and school) they have a very good background on Jesus. Therefore their understanding is better. Of course, for children it is still about presents; but when you think about it so was Jesus's birth. Hence the three wise men bring him gifts.

Commercialism has definately impacted on the meaning of Christmas for children.

My family goes to church on christmas eve with the entire family (don't get me wrong we aren't overly religious) but it just touches your heart at that time of year; it reinforces the meaning of Christmas. 8)
User avatar
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member
 
Posts: 1826
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 am
Location: Australia

Postby MissLT » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:44 am

Rui wrote:i guess this question take us to other question, who celebrate the birth of jesus in christmas? i know it's sad but i guess some of the kids in portugal not even know what we are celebrating, they just wanna the presents because christmas has become in to market party where the marketing offices have a lot of work trying to seel everything that you could ever imagine, so it's a faze of the year when everybody buy everything for the kids, friends and relatives.... so the concept of jesus in my opinion it's very far away of that, i'm not putting myself out of this society, i live and i make the things like the others do, and I can be wrong but it’s what I feel.

P.S.- Sorry about my english, it's difficult to talk about a serious situations when you don't have grammar and vocabulary skills

But don't you think Christmas is not all about remembering that Jesus was born and that's it. In Christianity, his birth means bring new concepts or joys to others, doesn't it? Therefore, even if the kids don't do it religiously, they're doing it gratefully-- they bring happiness within themselves and others by spending time together during a holiday. Isn't Xmas now mostly more about bringing happiness than remembering who Jesus is? Well, maybe I'm wrong since I think bringing happiness to others is more important.
User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
 
Posts: 5911
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby Rui » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:20 am

no, you're not wrong in my point of view, i just said that because the question was "if only the christians should celebrate the christmas?" and my answer is that of course everybody should celebrate the christmas, because even some Christians don’t really celebrate the birth of jesus, but yes a opportunity to be with friends and family, I’m not saying this is bad, that’s what i do and I think it's right, but why the members of different religion’s shouldn’t do it, in fact… one of the things that I think it’s completely wrong it’s that sometimes we(christinas) don’t respect so much the others religions as we should do, we have holidays to celebrate our religions days and the others religions have to work in their religions days because they are seeing in the society as normal days.
User avatar
Rui
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 746
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:41 am
Location: World, Portugal, Porto, Maia

Postby MissLT » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:45 pm

Rui wrote:in fact… one of the things that I think it’s completely wrong it’s that sometimes we(christinas) don’t respect so much the others religions as we should do, we have holidays to celebrate our religions days and the others religions have to work in their religions days because they are seeing in the society as normal days.

Is that how it is in Portugal? :?
User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
 
Posts: 5911
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby Rui » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:41 am

yes, in portugal we just have holidays in catholic days, if you would live in portugal and you are from a different religion, you have to spend one day of your normal days to go in vacations if you wanna stay in home to celebrate, what i mean is that in the catholic days we have national holidays where almost every company’s stop, the days of other religions are completely normal, every company is laboring at full power.

And some good news are coming…. next week we gonna have a holiday, again something about with the catholic religion, but please don’t ask me what we are celebrating, I just know that I’m gonna stay at home
8)
User avatar
Rui
Platinum Member
 
Posts: 746
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:41 am
Location: World, Portugal, Porto, Maia

Postby MissLT » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:37 am

Rui wrote:yes, in portugal we just have holidays in catholic days, if you would live in portugal and you are from a different religion, you have to spend one day of your normal days to go in vacations if you wanna stay in home to celebrate, what i mean is that in the catholic days we have national holidays where almost every company’s stop, the days of other religions are completely normal, every company is laboring at full power.

And some good news are coming…. next week we gonna have a holiday, again something about with the catholic religion, but please don’t ask me what we are celebrating, I just know that I’m gonna stay at home
8)

Awww.... this is not fair. In the U.S. you can ask for a day off for religious belief. Like my manager she will be off on this coming up Friday because of the fasting. It will end on November 3rd, according to her. As a result, I'll have to work on that day so she could be able to stay home to celebrate it with her family. I'm so not happy whenever I think about it. That Friday will be my heaviest day since I have to work two jobs in one day plus study group :roll: .
User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
 
Posts: 5911
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Postby natsu0713 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:36 am

I do not think that it is necessary to be a Christian in order to celebrate Christmas.

Isn't it is a great thing if people all over the would can celebrate Christmas together, no matter for their religions?
natsu0713
Member
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:23 am
Location: Taipei, Taiwan

Postby Eon » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:42 am

I think everybody can celebrate Christmas! It's not only a religious day. It's a worldwide festival! I am a christian but my boy friend is a Buddhist. But we celebrate Christmas together!
Eon
New Member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:57 am
Location: Korea

Re: christmas

Postby willzheng » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:22 am

selokela wrote:I am not happy about most of the replies send about wether one should celebrate christmas if he is not a christian. remember that God loves us and he send His only beloved son Jesus christ to come and save us from our sins. everybody shoud celebrate christmas wether christian or not. It is by his blood that we are all still alive. When he Jesus died he carried all our curses with him. Please let us all cebrate christmas.

I am not a Christian.But I still celebrate the christmas.
till now,Christmas is not only the Christans,it belongs to every one in the word.So take it easy,enjoy yourself is ok!
Wish you having a lovely day on Christmas!
willzheng
Member
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:51 am
Location: China

Postby kathymimi » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:36 am

everyone can celebrate christmas if he likes. the festival is not just a religious one nowadays, maybe it's already a world festival to celebrate family coming together in that right day.

so take it easy. i wish you a nice day.
kathymimi
Member
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:18 am
Location: China

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests