EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Grammar is a waste of time.

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Postby RedRose » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:20 am

No, grammer is important.

for us, Chinese grammer is different than English grammer. if we don't know english grammer, then our english must be confusing. at least english speakers can't undertstand it.
RedRose

Postby Coolfish » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:35 am

In my opinion, practicing is more important than garmmar in spoken language, whereas grammar is as important as practicing in written language.
Coolfish
Silver Member

Re: I hate exams

Postby MissLT » Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:05 am

Rosamunde wrote:I am a Chinese student.Though I like learning English,English tests at school is no fun to me.They emphasis too much on grammar,which makes us students feel bored all the time.

Still,we need to learn certain amount of grammars so as to learn the language more correctly, don't we? :wink:

I had a really good teacher during my first year in the U.S. She changed my ways of thinking why English grammar wasn't so bad and the more I tried to practice it, the more I'd love it. I mean, there are so many things to know. My boyfriend is Caucasian (who has passed all his English classes with an A 8) , by the way), but sometimes he has to think about my questions about English grammar. He's taken the language for granted; therefore, it strikes his mind sometime to think which and which should be correct :lol: .
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby shokin » Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:16 pm

Grammar is very useful for creating in each of us a language structure, a reference (an origin ?), whatever the language you speak.

But the meaning of the words can change (or not change), evolute, according to your using of these words. That is why the meaning of one word can be different from a region to another.

But the grammar structure does not change as fast as the meaning of the words. Once you've created a language structure into you it becomes difficult for you to change it. [But it is even more difficult to create a new language structure. That is why it is very important to communicate with the children (for them).]

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.
shokin
Polished Diamond Member

Postby someone_cute » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:22 pm

I don't Know why you love the sentence ( .... is a waste of time ) ..
May be u r a teacher and it is easy for you , so u said that ..
But for me ,, I think it is important even for speaking .. That's not mean that you have to memorize the structure but to know it in general at least ..
«®°•.¸.•°°•.¸.•°™ someone cute .•°®»
someone_cute
Silver Member

Re: Grammar is a waste of time.

Postby setsukaka » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:17 am

TP wrote:We don't need to learn English grammar to speak English. Grammar is a waste of time.

i don't think it a waste of time, maybe for the native. Grammer help us to cteate the correct sentences and to translate.
setsukaka

Postby natsu0713 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:15 am

I don't think grammar is a waste of time. To me, it is worth of spending time on learning it.

If we want to express our ideas correctly or let other people fully understanad what we mean, we have to learn grammar. Otherwise, they may misunderstand us.

Besides, grammar is like rules of a game. If we want to enjoy the game, we have to know the rules.

If we want to find out the beauty of a language, we have to learn its grammar.
natsu0713

Postby CityYoung » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:05 pm

For me I think is very important beacuse How I make right sentence and i don't know the Grammar :!: :!: . also I learn english not just to speak I learn for every skills ( reading , writing , listening , speaking and grammar )
CityYoung
Platinum Member

Re: unnecessary

Postby vahid » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:30 am

hello .
Yes i belive you . but before judging about the usage of grammer and how important it is we should look at our goal of learning a modern language .
if we are learning L2 for communication yes knowing the grammer basically is sufficiont . but in acadamic level we must know detaild information about grammer too .
for example it is a shame not to distinguish between thease two word . hear - listen
vahid

Postby jeffcox » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:48 pm

As an native English teacher, I think that students spend too much time worrying about grammar.

That seems controversial, and it really is.

A child listens, then learns to speak. He learns to read and then he learns to write.

I bet he learned to speak before he even knew what the word 'grammar' means!

I live in Brazil and I have learned Portuguese day by day, without taking any classes. Basically, I read and I listen to people. So, how did I learn? I simply try to repeat what I hear and read.

My Portuguese is far from perfect, that's because I have nobody correcting me, I have no grammar to fill in those small errors.

Grammar is important because there are always some doubts that we have about what we hear or read. But, generally students focus on the grammar too much.

Students often have difficulty 'accepting' a structure as an example and copy it.

If you know how we say things, and you understand it, then repeat it and modify it. Just like you did when you learned your native language. Grammar, then, just fills in the gaps!

So, grammar is important because it gives the necessary structure to the language. However, it's not necessary to know all the grammar in order to speak the language.
jeffcox
Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion