EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

University-the only way to enter life?

Post or ask for ideas and opinions about different subjects here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Universities and Colleges

Postby keko » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:32 pm

Right Shazzam
Universities and Colleges are not the only way.Arts and craft, trade, small-sized companies are some options. The question is to choose what makes your dreams come true. It will only depend on you and whichever it is your choise, always try to do your best.
keko
Silver Member

Postby Admiral » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:57 pm

Yeah, of course it's not the only way. But you have to go to school, haven't you? And I think if you are always good in school and have money, most probable you will follow this learning route... Well, my own opinion.

So, I also agree with you that it's not always the best way and definitely not the only way. Maybe you want to earn money earlier, or mostly universities won't make that much money as some other diplomas, and so on.

But it's one way from the beginning to the end on one route without resigning.

And I want to let you know that it's statistically proven that people from universities of applied sciences (which is an alternative for university) become more money than from conventional universities.

However, with a master of manual skills, you won't get as far as with a diploma, I think.

But still I think that University and Colleague is a very good way within all choices.
Admiral

Postby MissLT » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:43 pm

Admiral wrote:However, with a master of manual skills, you won't get as far as with a diploma, I think.

But still I think that University and Colleague is a very good way within all choices.

You meant without? And I totally agree with you right here.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Shazzam » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:45 pm

I think it also depends on the type of degree that you pursue. For example alot of young people in my country choose to do BA (Bachelor of Arts) these degree are a waste of resources, most of the recipients end up working in retail positions. I also know alot of people that have masters degrees in certain fields that still work at the university after completing their studies in administrative rolls (office work). I don't have a degree but have experience and I was given the same position. So you have to consider if the degree you are choosing is going to get you into your desired field. :roll:
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Ika » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:03 am

I'm a teacher.For me-University is the best way.BUT.I have come to conclusion,this is not the only, and in some cases,not the best way.Everybody is unique,and we just have to accept it.
There is another thing- children must be offered the real choise, I mean,if their parents from the very beginning show their negative attitude to education,and then,unfortunately,the school disappoints the child too,then How on Earth the child can fall in love with studying???there is no choise any more.
"To know nothing is bad, to learn nothing is worse."
Ika
Silver Member

Postby MissLT » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:13 pm

Shazzam wrote:I think it also depends on the type of degree that you pursue. For example alot of young people in my country choose to do BA (Bachelor of Arts) these degree are a waste of resources, most of the recipients end up working in retail positions. I also know alot of people that have masters degrees in certain fields that still work at the university after completing their studies in administrative rolls (office work). I don't have a degree but have experience and I was given the same position. So you have to consider if the degree you are choosing is going to get you into your desired field. :roll:

I think those people choose the areas because they're interested in living up with their dreams and not all about the money. I mean, some career like being an anthropologists doesn't get paid much, does it? :? This is sad.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Opinion

Postby DocAndy » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:02 am

It is not important to visit a university. I have read a lot of books in about that and the richest mens in the world haven't and hadn't high education. :evil:

I know a lot of people who haven't high education and they are very successful and rich.
DocAndy

Postby Shazzam » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:01 am

LennyeTran wrote:
Shazzam wrote:I think it also depends on the type of degree that you pursue. For example alot of young people in my country choose to do BA (Bachelor of Arts) these degree are a waste of resources, most of the recipients end up working in retail positions. I also know alot of people that have masters degrees in certain fields that still work at the university after completing their studies in administrative rolls (office work). I don't have a degree but have experience and I was given the same position. So you have to consider if the degree you are choosing is going to get you into your desired field. :roll:

I think those people choose the areas because they're interested in living up with their dreams and not all about the money. I mean, some career like being an anthropologists doesn't get paid much, does it? :? This is sad.

I understand what you are saying Lenny, but explain to me what field a 'bachelor of arts' falls into. :idea: To me it is just a way of extending your days as a student. The government in my country doesn't give subsidies on this style of course anymore (thank god). :roll: I say if you University entry marks only enable you to do a course like this, it is time to get a job!!
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member

Postby MissLT » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:42 am

Shazzam wrote:I understand what you are saying Lenny, but explain to me what field a 'bachelor of arts' falls into. :idea: To me it is just a way of extending your days as a student. The government in my country doesn't give subsidies on this style of course anymore (thank god). :roll: I say if you University entry marks only enable you to do a course like this, it is time to get a job!!

Bachelor of Arts (BA) includes social sciences, humanities, music, or fine arts. In social sciences we have geography, sociology, anthropology, linguistics, economics, political science etc. In humanities we have philosophy, literature, history, communication, cultural studies, etc. In music we have every field related to music like musicology and so on. In fine arts we have painting, poetry, opera, theater, etc. As you see, BA is not a waste of time for people who have their interests in those fields or for us in general. Without people who study these fields, we would not have historians, anthropologist, cultural anthropologists, philosophists, musicians, speech makers, teachers, linguists and so on.

We all need a base to build our knowledge foundation, and the knowledge we gain from being in the university is one of the many important factors in life to do our job. Study what you want to study. You'll only gain and not lose something. I'd rather being in school to study to be an anthropologist than dropping out of college to work at Burger King for seven dollars an hour. How long would it take me to be a manager without a college degree? Ten or twenty years? At least if I studied anthropology to become an anthropologist, I would make more than the salary I would have at BK when I graduated from college and fulfilled my dream.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Shazzam » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:03 pm

Well Lenny I disagree. I have no university degree. Within five years of working in office administration at a Legal Firm. I was offered an Editors position at a Newspaper. NO DEGREE!

In Australia it doesn't work that way. Your knowledge is based on just that, YOUR KNOWLEDGE.

BA's have proved to be what australians call "a bachelor in bull*it". I am happy that my government doesn't waste funding on such degrees. I would much rather see funding go towards students that choose, medicine, science, agriculture or law. :roll:
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas and Opinions