EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Smokers should pay high taxes for cigarettes.

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Postby Pearla » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:56 pm

Well, i think it's a good idea.

they are spending money to destroy their health, so let them pay for building something useful in their countries or saving people's lives, if the country decided use the amount of money they are going to pay, to finance health researches.
Pearla

Postby Shazzam » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:36 pm

Pearla wrote:Well, i think it's a good idea.

they are spending money to destroy their health, so let them pay for building something useful in their countries or saving people's lives, if the country decided use the amount of money they are going to pay, to finance health researches.

I don't know about the rest of the world but in my country cigerettes are heavily taxed by state and federal governments.
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member

Smoking

Postby DocAndy » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:44 am

I have the same oppinion.
Smoking sould be a little bit more expensive.
But I think the better way is to stop smoking in Restaunts, Discos, and so on.....
DocAndy

Re: Smoking

Postby Shazzam » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:56 am

DocAndy wrote:I have the same oppinion.
But I think the better way is to stop smoking in Restaunts, Discos, and so on.....

That already happens in my country too. So in Australia we have the taxes, the exclusion etc etc etc. I thought the rest of the World would have these policies as well. :shock:
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member

Re: Smoking

Postby DocAndy » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:47 pm

Shazzam wrote:
DocAndy wrote:I have the same oppinion.

That already happens in my country too. So in Australia we have the taxes, the exclusion etc etc etc. I thought the rest of the World would have these policies as well. :shock:

Yeah, right! Thats cool. I don't know that this happens in Australia. :shock:

Maybe we get it in Austria in the future. I hope so!!

cheers.
And a good slide into the New Year
I hope I say it right!!
DocAndy

Postby shokin » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:57 pm

PLEASE NO SMOKING IN ESL COMMUNITY !

Shokin
shokin
Polished Diamond Member

Postby Rui » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:16 pm

well, i'm not a smoker but i have to admit that i understand their point when they say all the taxes they are paying are being very important in other aspects of the society, this happens in portugal if you take a look to the money they are paying in taxes per year it's clearly that the government is using the money of the cigarettes to invest in other areas, so if they are smoking to pay some debts of the government instead of being me and all the people paying those debts, I guess I can handle with them, but this is just a point of view, i respect all the people that is against them and i also don't like to be eating or drinking something with someone throwing the smoke over me :wink:
Rui
Platinum Member

Postby Shazzam » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:10 am

Rui wrote:well, i'm not a smoker but i have to admit that i understand their point when they say all the taxes they are paying are being very important in other aspects of the society, this happens in portugal if you take a look to the money they are paying in taxes per year it's clearly that the government is using the money of the cigarettes to invest in other areas, so if they are smoking to pay some debts of the government instead of being me and all the people paying those debts, I guess I can handle with them, but this is just a point of view, i respect all the people that is against them and i also don't like to be eating or drinking something with someone throwing the smoke over me :wink:

Same thing applies though. If you are somewhere where smokers are allowed to smoke (and lets face it there aren't many places left) and you don't like it, then you should go somewhere else.

Let's face it there are probably more places for non-smokers now than smokers, so communities have to be fair about this. :roll:
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member

Postby tikay » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:11 pm

I am going to once again play the devils advocate( meaning to take the opposte opinion) for the sake of smokers worldwide...without smoking can you imagine how much time would be on the hands of all the stressed out people who would then have nothing to do but act on those stressful things that cause them to smoke in the first palce...(I have been a smoker who was inclined to quit very often for the sake of health and then return for the sake of my health)

SURE some people would rather light up a cig and say screw it all than plot the murder of their spouse...if you get my drift,
if smoking calms the nerves would you take that away from that crazy fellow that you work with or rather see him coming to work one day with his machine gun...we need to question things baby...i would rather smell cigarettes all the time than have people being even more nuts around me than they
already are! (in los angeles anyway)
( Although I too might get a mask)

Abyway its a little fun with the what if....alternative...and besides
give people time to change...sure a massage would be better to relax with but is there a therapist outside every office building just waiting for us to come out so they can rub our sore necks? Not yet! :lol:
so ease up youngsters...(i have to think) and give people time to change...also smoking is not an immoral act it is just a bad habit...perpitrated by cigarette industry...it is only becoming a moral wrong when you dont consider all the aspects of the dangers...your kids will like it if you give it up...and so
enough said....anybody?
OH AND ABOUT THE SPELLING THING>>>YOU ARE HERE TO HELP PEOPLE NOT TO CRITISIZE RIGHT? Can you write in their native language without mis-spelling???
probably not....I apologise for them, my friends! (in case they don't) :lol: 8) :D :shock: :oops: :lol: :) :? :wink:
tikay
Platinum Member

you have the proper perspective...shazamm!

Postby tikay » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:52 pm

Shazzam wrote:
CityYoung wrote:The govrement must stop enter cigarettes in their country . After that no body will smoke :)

Good idea, then they can also tell us what to eat, how many times a day to go to the toilet and what colour underpants to wear. :roll:

Shazamm has the right attitude there!
we must all watch-out for what we ask for
especially with goverment intervention into our privacy!!!...you might get it honey!
a police state where they tell you what to do.... Martial law is no joke.
Nobody tells me how to smoke or not smoke and i choose to smoke one cigarette each night before i sleep...a very moderate girl, sometimes i will indulge more when i have big stress.
I dont mind if my friend smokes thirty cigs a day as long as they have the right to do it....I am not their commander I am their friend. but I do appreciate the thinking it is unhealthy...just no govt. rules on this!
tikay
Platinum Member

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion