ANAIS NIN

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderator: EC

Elba
Rising Star
Rising Star

ANAIS NIN

Post by Elba »

Have you known something about Anais Nin?
No, she is not only the name of a perfume, she was a special woman, not a feminist but a humanist, "Avangard", misterious,
not a novelist but a writter of erocit stories, not as Simone de Bovoir, different, but better than Lilian Helman and
YOU EC MEMBERS SHOULD KNOW HER.

http://www.anais-nin.de/
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

Anais Nin is beautiful, a poet and artist...written word.

Post by tikay »

I read several of Anais Nins diarys when I was younger. at twenty she was there for me and at twenty-three, and then maybe again I read her at twenty-six. I am about to begin to read something she wrote again.

The best thing about Anais is her life was really interesting and she was a lover to many and before her time in so many ways;(mistress to another famous author Henry Miller) ...in fact he probably put out her story Tropic of Capricorn under his name because women in her time were not considered adequate writers....therefore her diaries were the way she wrote as if she was not going to publish the work ...but always she intended to share her art with the world, when the time was right...that is apparent in her works. She wrote for the world to see her heart even if it was at times open and bleeding.

The stories she tells may be somewhat embellished at times...(some have called her a liar) and she took some poetic liscense (maybe) but I believe that her stories are mostly truth! I think if there is a lie or two it may be about perspective... someone dissagrees...I think she was being painfully honest and that is why they are great stories!

Slyvia Plath was rather like her I think, at least the honesty!

Movies about Anais are Henry & June and Delta of Venus which will knock your socks off...children should leave the room for this one.

Read her if you like raw honesty mixed with the poetic...she rocks!!! Even these days!
Last edited by tikay on Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elba
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Elba »

Tikay, big surprise!!!!! you know to much about Anais. That´s wonderfull.
You know here at México only few people know something about her.
There is a problem here, people read almost two books per year which is terrible. I try to read at least one per month. But sometimes because of my different activities I can´t read anything. This year my objetive is one per month, but if I can read more I will do it.

Do you have all the diaryies of Anais. I have include the Diary of chilwood, when her parents got divorced. but I need to buy the Diary of Youngness.

There is a mexican woman that has too a special personality for me. the name is Carmen Mondragón. She, like Nin, was very very honest, a different woman, a controversial woman in her time (1930) . she was lover of the mexican painter Dr Atl, and he put a nick to Carmen, he called her NAHUI OLLIN. People considered NAHUI was a mental illness. At internet there is only a place about her, but in this momento I can´t remember the URL. only look for NAHUI OLLIN or CARMEN MONDRAGON.
I´m exiting you know Anais
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

Anais is a beautiful woman... like Elba!

Post by tikay »

Hi Elba!
I am glad to hear you have goals to read more...you are a busy journalist!
I get to read a lot because I wont clean my house in the morning til I have read...i wont go to sleep at night unless I read...mostly. I want to write too, one day I will. When i am not sure. i have written much and I have a style something like anais or Diane Akerman...i think. This is probably why i love her so much...truely we are kindred spirit. Isabell Allende? Do you like her. ( I think she may have written Like Water for Chocolet...not sure, it is somewhere here, my shelve are too full of books waiting for my time...for my hand to finally grasp and hold them! I collect too many!
Of Anais books I see here I have the diary's II, IV & V and The
Erotic Life of Anais Nin (read only a tiny bit so far) somewhere in the garage stacks i have Delta of Venus.
I was just looking into Henry millers books on amazon...there was The Tropic of Cancer (he wrote) but tropic of capricorn....
am I dreaming is there even such a book...I dont know I will have to see if I have mixed them up...
I am happy that you are my friend now!
kiss...mmmmunumh! hug 2! (latina heart) :)
tikay
Rising Star
Rising Star

Violet...

Post by tikay »

Violet you are so pretty! you look a whole lot like a friend of mine at school, she's in the business course... and I take paralegal, but we had one class together, power-point...I believe, well, I just wanted to say hey gorgeous! :wink:
Who do you like to read the most? Or what kind of books?
Elba
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Elba »

Tikay wrote:Isabell Allende? Do you like her. ( I think she may have written Like Water for Chocolet...not sure, it is somewhere here, my shelve are too full of books waiting for my time...for my hand to finally grasp and hold them! I collect too many!
Of Anais books I see here I have the diary's II, IV & V and The
Erotic Life of Anais Nin (read only a tiny bit so far) somewhere in the garage stacks i have Delta of Venus.
I was just looking into Henry millers books on amazon...there was The Tropic of Cancer (he wrote) but tropic of capricorn....
am I dreaming is there even such a book...I dont know I will have to see if I have mixed them up...
Isabel Allende wrote "The house of the spirits", "Eva Luna" and some others.
The writter of "Like watter for chocolate" is Laura Esquivel, a mexican woman who was married with Alfonso Arau, the director of the movie with the same name. Some feminist here think that Arau get advantage of the book of Laura, and when the movie was succesfull he let her dawn. Arau would never had succesfull if Laura haven´t appear in his "stupid" life.
About Anais, some critics said that Delta of Venus is a portrait of the relationship she had with her father.
You´re right Tropic of Cáncer is one book, andTropic of Capricornium is another different.
Miller has a trilogy of novels too: Sexus (one novel), Nexus (another novel) and Plexus the last novel, and they conform the "Pink Crucifixion". I haven´t read too much about miller, but I know he is a very important part of a style of writters in the post war .
I´m happy too to have a friend like you. I have to do a lot of things in the mornings: go swimming, prepare the breakfast and food for my Dad, Go to another comercial activities and finally go to work, but my pourpose is read at least one book every month, and I know I could read even more.