EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Are people happier in hot countries?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Are people happier in hot countries?

Postby TalkingPoint » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:59 pm

Why do people who live in very cold countries seem more miserable than people who live in hot climates?

Wordchecker
miserable (adjective): very unhappy
climate (noun): the usual weather conditions in an area
Last edited by TalkingPoint on Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
TalkingPoint
EC Teacher
EC Teacher

Postby Shazzam » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:07 am

I think moderation is the only way. It is nice to have hot weather, but it is also nice to experience cold from time to time. If you just have one or the other all the time it would be very depressing. I lived in the tropics for a while a few years ago and initially I loved it being HOT!! all the time. However after about 2 years I found it so exhausting. I couldn't wait to get back to the east coast and experience, AUTUMN, WINTER AND SPRING!

The old saying is "variety is the spice of life." :wink:
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member

Re: Are people happier in hot countries?

Postby ginny » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:29 am

TP wrote:Why do people who live in very cold countries seem more miserable than people who live in hot climates?

That's completely incorrect! Being happy or not does not depend on where you live. It just depends on yourself!
ginny
Gold Member

Postby Desislava » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:44 pm

I suppose there is a speck of truth that weather affects the mood of people. In my country, we have four seasons, thanks to its location. And...change is obvious. During summer people look more relaxed, cheerful, open to communications, and the mood is overall quite high :). While in winter people try to stay home, and go out not so often with certain regret that they have to leave their nice and warm rooms.
My opinion is that not really the temperature affects us, because you can put more clothes on, or off, according to your needs. But what really influences our behaviour is the changing colours of the environment. It's said that different colours arise different feeling in us, I suppose you have heard that. And in countries where it's hot, there are more bright colours..like yellow, orange, green, blue. These ones symbolise happiness and...joy..also serenity I think. While the cold climate's colours are mainly grey, brown, black...they are not really positive ones, and charge you with negative energy :) If I am not wrong, I think that Feng Shui deals a lot with this kind of reaction in people.
Desislava
Silver Member

Postby Rui » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:46 am

well, i don't know if that is true or another stereotype, but if you take a look to another feature of the differences between the countries then we can see that where the weather it's better the quality of live it's worst, and from the other hand the richest societies are in the cold weathers countries... i'm just remember countries like Norway, Sweden, Finland, Canada, Japan, Denmark and other examples that doesn't matter to mention now... and if we take look to the nicest countries to spend holidays, like for example all the countries in south and central america or the asia paradises we can see that they are generally more poor, isn't that true, or is just a wrong thought

P.S.-i forgot to mention the beautiful countries in africa where this feature i've talked it's take it to the limit.
Rui
Platinum Member

Postby Yen » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:40 am

No, I think they are same. Maybe you live in cold country and it become familiar with you so when you see the people who live in hot country, you feel jealous and think they are happy more than you . To me, I don’t like a hot weather because when I play game in outdoor, I sweat and bad smelling ^_^. Somewhere in the world, the people who live in hot country is jealous with you ( not me)^_^
Yen
Silver Member

not sure

Postby serena » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:45 am

Well,I think weather has something to do with peaple's mood.As we know,peaple in different environment will response differently.Take myself as an example,I like winter very much.The cold weather will make me high and I will become depressing in hot weather by contrary.However,not all peaple like winter,some enjoy summer.So,I believe that weather can influnce peaple's mood to some degree,but it does not means cold climite will make people happier,comparied with those who live in hot country.
serena

Postby ahmedtaha » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:53 am

says who????
you know, i live in acountry over 40 C in the sumer!! and you say happier ??
but i agree with you that the temperature affect our mood cuz when it's the cold season it's beween 15-20 it's really magnificent and every boody feels relax and happy. so i thing in cold countries they like the sumer as we in hot countries like the winter !!
ahmedtaha

Postby shokin » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:03 pm

Yes, Switzerland is a hot country because I am very happy. :lol:

Shokin
shokin
Polished Diamond Member

Postby Shazzam » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:43 am

shokin wrote:Yes, Switzerland is a hot country because I am very happy. :lol:

Shokin

:lol: :lol: That's because you live there Shokin. :wink:
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member