EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

University-the only way to enter life?

Post or ask for ideas and opinions about different subjects here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Postby MissLT » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:02 am

Shazzam wrote:Well Lenny I disagree. I have no university degree. Within five years of working in office administration at a Legal Firm. I was offered an Editors position at a Newspaper. NO DEGREE!

But have you ever wondered that you wouldn't have had to start from the bottom and waste five years to make an impression to them if you had graduated from college with a degree they required you? :?
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby shokin » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:28 am

More and more often, students who have finished university find difficulties to find a job. It becomes difficult with the capricious firms.

But do we have to choose our cursus according to the work market ? do we have to be slave of the market ?

Or wouldn'be better to choose our cursus according to our loving, to our convictions, to our motivation sources, to the needs of the planet ?

Shokin
shokin
Polished Diamond Member

Postby moneymind » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:48 am

Hi you guys,

It depend very much on society where you are staying & education system of each country. It is normal to see the topic raised by a member from Vietnam. By culture, Vietnamese especially old generation only find honorable when there children are degreed. Conjunction with this, the business environment are not so as developed & "opened" as others western countries, therefore the chance by opportunistics is not so high. The reality that Vietnam education system does not give students enough information of job orientation, so they find no way to "enter the life safely" without entering university.

I do not think this topic is a much concerned in such countries like United Stated or UK, where business enviorenment has already been a battle. The wiser, the faster, the more opportunistics are the winner. There are so many successful people who have never finished their university.
moneymind

Re: University-the only way to enter life?

Postby sweethuman » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:00 am

In my country it is only a great pleasure to have a degree however you can get better chances to get a good salary scale thru your degree
sweethuman
Rough Diamond Member

Postby adle » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:30 am

I was never pressured by my parents with regards to my education nor did I ever put any stress on myself with studying, luckily the laissez faire attitude within my family allowed me to grow on my own phase and in turn became successful in my schooling. I've finished my two year of college and now working (quite well) to save up for the next two years.

In most Asian countries, a certain educational level must always be attained to get even entry level jobs so one can already realize what they expect on skilled positions and/or management positions. But we can't also disregard the existence of inspiring stories of people who succeed without diplomas or formal education.

I believe at the end of the day a piece of diploma and money spent on education does not equate to success if the person lacks the will to strive forward, education is an easy pass to the working society but it can be easily taken away to a person who does not work hard.

PS. Pressuring students to study I think is very counter productive, encouragement would be the best way. But to sons and daughters, rebelling and standing up for oneself are different things.
adle

Postby Lucia » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:44 pm

I think that university is a good way to enter life for ambitious people. I think it is no use to study things you don't like and don't really understand. Later not many people who had such an attitude to studies have work connected with their studies .
I heard a lot of stories when famous people had to finish some studies before they can seriously begin to do their career of an actress/actor or a singer as parents didn't allow them to do what they wanted after finishing school. Maybe by getting this degree they learnt more about life and got some experience. And it wasn't a waste of time. What do you think about it?
Lucia
Silver Member

Postby tremolove » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:55 pm

Hi Arale !
In my opinion, University is not the only way to enter life, But it's the fastest and easiest way to do that !
In Viet Nam, somewhere, So many firms will look at your University diploma as a standard to evaluate your level, especially in Govement agency !
tremolove

Postby Krisi » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:51 am

Arale wrote:It seems the opinion of having a high degree is always great pressure for all students. Some parents force their children to pass the university entrance exam. So most high school students have to work hard at this time. They even don't have time to relax. Spending most day-time at school, they have to attend many other extra lessons at night. Many pupils at primary or secondary school have to study so much too. I feel sad for some students who must obey their parents' opinion to study what they don't like. It means they have to give up their dreams, their desires and take up a job they may feel bored all life. Studying at university is not the only way to step into life. We have various ways. Can you keep your own opinion to finish your dream? :roll:

_Arale_

I cannot understand this topic you have created. You too had finished a degree. Are you not happy?
Krisi
Ethereal Member

Previous

Return to Ideas and Opinions