Pride and Prejudice -info

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderator: EC

MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Pride and Prejudice -info

Post by MissLT »

hereiam wrote:Here is an official site of the next version of the immortal story:
http://www.prideandprejudicemovie.net/splash.html
and here is a trailer for those who cannot open it using official site...
http://theonenetwork.com/movies/Pride_a ... r_300.html
ps. the most interesting thing is that poor Jane Austin who wrote all these charming stories has never married and died comparatively young - at the age of 41 as I remember.
:roll:
She died as a virgin? :shock:
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

LennyeTran wrote:
hereiam wrote:Here is an official site of the next version of the immortal story:
ps. the most interesting thing is that poor Jane Austin who wrote all these charming stories has never married and died comparatively young - at the age of 41 as I remember.
She died as a virgin? :shock:
Does it really matter if she died being a virgin????
btw I really love that book I remember I enjoyed every page of it when i was rading it. Ah! :)
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

illusion wrote:
btw I really love that book I remember I enjoyed every page of it when i was rading it. Ah! :)
Seeeeee... it's a big issue for me. A lot of people like her books, but I don't. I find them extremely boring. It was very very very hard for me to finish her books. And maybe being a virgin all her life has something to do with it. Well, to me it'd be.... :oops:
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

LennyeTran wrote:
illusion wrote:
Seeeeee... it's a big issue for me. A lot of people like her books, but I don't. I find them extremely boring. It was very very very hard for me to finish her books. And maybe being a virgin all her life has something to do with it. Well, to me it'd be.... :oops:
lol it all depends on one's taste. but I don't think having sex would have affected her works that much anyway...It's just the times she lived where like that. My friend also found the book boring because of the fact not much was going on it I guess it's a matter of taste...
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

illusion wrote:
lol it all depends on one's taste. but I don't think having sex would have affected her works that much anyway...It's just the times she lived where like that. My friend also found the book boring because of the fact not much was going on it I guess it's a matter of taste...
Man, if she wasn't a virgin, maybe she could have written a better love scence. All she got in her books is hugs. Hugs? I can hug a friend, but I don't French kiss a friend. I wanna read people French kissing each other. It's romantic as like looking at two old people holding each other hand and then kiss on the hand. This scene always gets me all mushy... :oops:
hereiam
Rising Star
Rising Star

hello people:)

Post by hereiam »

As I can see my topic raised quite different problems than I previously supposed to start while writing it.
But it is really funny all in all.
Well Lenny - I think that you must be too much sex and money oriented and thus you would never bother to have a better inkling into a lot of things that happen around you as well as into the fact that people in different ages live in different cultures not saying a single word about reading a bit a biography of Jane Austin that could help you to go outside the circle of your contemporary observations.
For me Jane Austin was a very interesting woman. She has had a lot of readers in her times while she was writing her books incognito. She never signed her books with her name or surname. Why? Not every writer was such a succesfull one.
She belonged to certain social group and specially ladies loved reading books about the vain existence of high-life.
If she was alone she had to earn money on her own.
For me it is still far from being a virgin. We could never know it probably. But the core for me is not if she was a virgin or not, she was unmarried in times when marriage was a deal, a transaction, a good business. But she wrote about feelings.
About love - it wasnot too often as I suppose. Thus the books were read by wide circles of bored and rich women who wanted to read at least about true love.
Of course it is my version of events and still I am far from stating if she was a virgin or not.
She was just a very smart woman, who didn't travel at all and could make a lot observations within the world she was living in plus earn for life thanks to her wtite-it-down skills and bit of imagination.
What I can add is that times and culture have changed but people - never.
And human choices are always the same.
Nice watching:)
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: hello people:)

Post by MissLT »

hereiam wrote: As I can see my topic raised quite different problems than I previously supposed to start while writing it.
But it is really funny all in all.
Well Lenny - I think that you must be too much sex and money oriented and thus you would never bother to have a better inkling into a lot of things that happen around you as well as into the fact that people in different ages live in different cultures not saying a single word about reading a bit a biography of Jane Austin that could help you to go outside the circle of your contemporary observations.
Oh no you're wrong. I'm not that shallow. I'm shallower. I'm into look also. :lol: :lol:

hereiam wrote:She was just a very smart woman, who didn't travel at all and could make a lot observations within the world she was living in plus earn for life thanks to her wtite-it-down skills and bit of imagination.
This is what reading books could do to you. Wanna travel? Read a book! This is what I've been told and taught. :wink:
Arale
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Arale »

Though hereiam posted this topic in Music & Movies but we have talked a lot about its author - Jane Austen so I will move it to Books & Authors. Jane Austen was really a great author of England. Yes, hereiam, all she wrote came from her excellent imagination :!: She never travelled to anywhere out of her village Steventon. But she drew a wide world in her novels. She could paint also. This is what she ever talked "No, I must keep to my own style, and go on in my own way."-Jane Austen

http://www.ontalink.com/literature/janeausten/
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

LennyeTran wrote:
illusion wrote:
Man, if she wasn't a virgin, maybe she could have written a better love scence. All she got in her books is hugs. Hugs? I can hug a friend, but I don't French kiss a friend. I wanna read people French kissing each other. It's romantic as like looking at two old people holding each other hand and then kiss on the hand. This scene always gets me all mushy... :oops:
if you wanna some romance then why don't you read harlequins? sorry can't spell that
hereiam
Rising Star
Rising Star

Hello:)

Post by hereiam »

Hi everyone here,
Noooo.... I think Lenny wants more sex in Jane Austin's books.
But I really don't know how to help her taking into account poor Jane died many years ago.
Besides she was a person who liked having sex out of her books.
French people wrote about "Mrs Bovary" while English were bit more modest.
PS. by the way Tołstoj's "Anna Karenina" was about unfaithful wife.

Well... summing up (plus taking into account the end of the book) I still prefer Jane Austin's ending but I must admit these books are totally boring for me too.

I like action generally.
Today I have watched for the first time "Erin Brokovich" with Julia Roberts. This movie was really great. Movie with ecological aspects and in the end of it ... she was givean a cheque for 2 million dollars!
I was almost crying - really:(
Lawyers are so nasty people!
I hate lawyers too!
I recommend highly:
http://www.erinbrockovich.com/flasher.html
:)
hereiam
Rising Star
Rising Star

ps.

Post by hereiam »

the male babysitter was the best there, don't you think?
but you know she made a right choice in her life.
feminism became a MUST for terrorized women.
I think men rule all in all but rule more and more today. They simply HAVE TO:(. They have to fight male's terrorism. and I think it is mostly be too hard to win with Erin in life for tons of lazy men good-for -nothing and claiming that this past beauty gueen simply didn't graduate any university would be..........................
but for me it is not worthy of opening my precious mouth to express many of my views but life... oh life...
hereiam
Rising Star
Rising Star

correction of some errors:(

Post by hereiam »

1. feminism is a historical HAVE TO
2. men rule but women rule more and more...
3. ....I think it would be mostly too hard to win with Erin in life.....
4. concluson - but life oh life - it loves sweet comformists.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Talking about it, this is what I like from Charlotte Brontë's book Jane Eyre,

"Women are supposed to be very calm generally; but women feel just as men feel; they need exercise for their faculties and a field for their efforts as much as their brothers do; they suffer from too rigid a restraint, too absolute a stagnation, precisely as men would suffer; and it is narrow-minded in their more privileged fellow-creatures to say that they ought to confine themselves to making puddings and knitting stockings, to playing on the piano and embroidering bags. It is thoughtless to condemn them, or laugh at them, if they seek to do more or learn more than custom has pronounced necessary for their sex." (Ch 12) (copied)

Powerful, huh? 8)
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

illusion wrote:
if you wanna some romance then why don't you read harlequins? sorry can't spell that
Who's that? :?
Amelia66me

Post by Amelia66me »

You know what? We had a play contest last semester. Oh, sorry, forget to introduce myself. I am still a university student. We have this kind of contest every year. The play we chose was Pride and Prejudice. I was playing the role of Lady Catherine de Bourgh who is very mean. hehe... it's funny that when we were rehearsing, I needed to be very serious all the time. You know, no smiling, keeping proud, rolling my eyes when talking to Elizbeth. Sometimes I cannot help laughing by acting the role totally oppsite to my own, but still, I needed to be concentrate on that role. Guess what? We won the first first place at last.
hereiam
Rising Star
Rising Star

hello:)

Post by hereiam »

Hello everyone,
first Amelia - congratulations of successfull play:)
then Lennie - I don't care too much what Bronte said what a woman is supposed to be/was supposed have been etc. but what I am interested in is who started 100 years long lasting war between Great Britain and France. Were Frenchmen who started it or Englishmen? I suppose that Frenchmen but I am not so sure at all.
Here some links about big writers:
First Bronte - very ill family:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bront%C3%AB
then two Russian epic giants:
Dostojewski Fiodor:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fjodor_Dostojewski
and Lew (Leo) Tołstoy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Tolstoy
and a link about Tolstoy family generally:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tolstoy
have you noticed that these two big writers were very inclined to marry much younger women?
besides Fijodor Dostojewski was supposed to be accused for a rape on adolescent woman and committed plenty of other crimes that aren't written in his wikiedia's biography. Fijodor liked living "on the edge", hated both catholics and protestants.
It was very charasteristic that gospel in his life could mostly be seen only on pages of his next novels.
Once I watched a documentary about a visit of Tsar Peter the Great or someone like him in the Great Britain. They overdrunk "a bit" and devasted all facilities, and household where they were living. British owners sent him and his companions a bill. I don't remember if he paid.
That' s I think the biggest difference between Eastern and Western life so between eastern and western christians as I think too - the first are much more rude, ruthless and - I don't know how to put it -obedient, silent. We know that honest work only sometimes matters here and via one bad word your hard work of many years can be destroyed without single prick of conscience. Honest job as no value here, no matter you work honestly or you play around - the same salary for your work when only you have appropriate connections here. A quality of product doesn't matter.
Thus the East is underdeveloped compared to West - as it seems to me.
A lot of people are so deeply religious and so deeply cruel - it shouldnot be like that as it seems to me.
Thus I prefer Jane Austin's books.
I think that so called true love has always bad end, a lot of tears, arguments, violence, jealousy and too much boredom there. In my age I prefer boredom as it seems to me.
And sunny, warm climate the best (apart from money and some good wine - French wine of course).
hereiam
Rising Star
Rising Star

ps.

Post by hereiam »

ok - my list prevoius letter is "readable" as it seems to me but in the last sentence I forgot to add that " that's why I prefer boring things and boredom in my age".
probably soon I will take out and start reading for good Jane Austin's "Pride and Prejudice" that I bought some years ago for a very funny money and never ever looked into it since then. What a shame indeed. :oops: