EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Do animals have a sense of humour?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Do animals have a sense of humour?

Postby TalkingPoint » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:58 pm

Do you think it's true that animals have a sense of humour?
Last edited by TalkingPoint on Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
TalkingPoint
EC Teacher
EC Teacher

Postby MissLT » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:09 pm

Yes. My dwarf hamster used to swing himself around his cage like Tarzan for fun. Now he's old so he doesn't do it anymore. But gosh, when he was young... Every night around 9 o'clock, he would get up, eat and then go to the bathroom. Then he would jump on his ballhouse and hold the wires of the lid on top his cage and swing himself around the cage like a little Tarzan. When he gets tired, he would do backflips. At first, I thought he wanted to get out, so I took him out. However, when he was out, he was still doing his backflips on my bed :lol: :lol: .
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Shazzam » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:58 pm

Definately; we have quite a few pets; ie a dog, bird, mouse. They all have characters my daughters bird gets angry with her when she doesn't show her attention, and will yell at her until she gets her out of the cage. Once out of the cage she is cute and cuddly.

Our dog is similar she will sit quietly all day until she has attention and then she is like a circus animal showing off her tricks etc. Quite funny really. When she is upset she looks at you with her big brown eyes (like let me in I need to sit with you).

I believe that most animals have their own personality; of course, they are like people.

I love them!!
Shazzam
Rough Diamond Member

Postby MissLT » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:28 pm

shazzam1452 wrote: Our dog is similar she will sit quietly all day until she has attention and then she is like a circus animal showing off her tricks etc. Quite funny really. When she is upset she looks at you with her big brown eyes (like let me in I need to sit with you).

My cousin's dog chases his tail and barks at his T-bone treats for fun. Stupid dog :lol: . But cute as hell :wink: .
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby cristina » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:50 pm

I don't know if pets have sense of humour but they have sense of opportunity. My neighbours cat always knows where to sit down so that nobody will disturb him.
cristina

Postby MissLT » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:36 pm

There's a show on American TV called "America's Funniest Home Videos" that have a lot of funny clips about pets doing crazy, silly and questionable things. It always gives me a stomachade from laughing whenever I watch the show.
http://abc.go.com/primetime/americasfunniest/
You can see some bits of the clips at this site. Let me check around more to see if there is any site that carries the full clips. I'm pretty sure the chance is not great, though.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby WWilliam » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:02 pm

In scientific world, it is necessary to define what is sense of humor. Is it the animal perform funny motion or response to the master's jokes will be classified as having sense of humor. I don't know, human is also animal..... :P
WWilliam

Postby Ika » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:42 pm

I don't know it in the means of science, but my cat enjoys playing hide and seek with me. And a lot of other things, like showing what he can do (like climbing and jumping) when I have visitors. Sometimes he behaves like a real clown.
"To know nothing is bad, to learn nothing is worse."
Ika
Silver Member

Postby Norshan » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:31 pm

when animals do something funny i don't think we can consider it as a humour..may be something else i mean when animals do funny things,it is funny for us bt for them we don't know !! do you think it is funny for them too??
Norshan

Postby MissLT » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:47 pm

Norshan wrote:when animals do something funny i don't think we can consider it as a humour..may be something else i mean when animals do funny things,it is funny for us bt for them we don't know !! do you think it is funny for them too??

I think they do it for fun, too. Like my cousin's dog. Sometimes we throw rawhides for him and he eat them right away when he could catch them. However, there are other times that he won't catch them and just bark or throw the things with his paws a bit first before he would lie down eating them. And when we're busy to play with him, he would sit for a bit, then he'd stand up chasing his tail.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Next

Return to Talking Point Discussion