EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Chat or Talk with Friends?What's best??

Post or ask for ideas and opinions about different subjects here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Postby storm » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:25 pm

hello! I just want to say that I totally agree with your statement..
In my opinon...interent is a great plattform to find new friends and interresting people...
first time I saw this chat I feld very embarrased and shy...but it works and I love it to find new friends within improving my english...
for me... I know such a lot of people but only a few are the real friends( I think)... and I think sometimes it´s better to have only a few friends who stands to you in every part of live (sounds a little bit wrong, dosen´t it?). Isn´t it true?
storm

Postby Rui » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:05 pm

yeah, it's definitely much easier to write than speak... but this i cant tell you even in my own language :wink: this because we arent seeing the receptor but just the words he/she say, and you know how it's difficult to say something when someone tells you that terrible sentence.. "say that looking in my eyes" :lol:
Rui
Platinum Member

Postby shokin » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:56 pm

En each modus y medium communicandi there are advantages and disadvantages.

Talking face-to-face : the best one, according to me : there is something that there is nowhere else : a real feedback ; you can touch and smell the other person, you can realmente see this person (not only a picture) ; you can really work or play together. I think this real feedback depends on the more-than-continuous communication (smile, hands, voice, clothes, etc.). In the others moda y media communicandi, there is not this continuity (eventually in chat and phone).

Chat : there is an interactivity, but not as real/strong as in talking face-to-face. But you cannot take time to think about what you will say. You get more reactive than reflexive (concentration for saying things well and coherently).

Forum : the interactivity is not as "fast" and apparent as in chat and talking face-to-face but can be much more structured, "deep" (not the same meaning as "deep" in face-to-face relation) : you can concentrate your attention (perceptivity, receptivity, conceptivity) much more (totally) into the meaning of the written message, being less influenced by the person. That's why many people, who don't like unstructured discussion, prefer the virtual discussion forums. In virtual discussions forums you cannot being interrupted by the other person. You can read and read again and again your message, correct it, change it, before posting it. It is less spontan but much more clear, coherent and structured.

TV : There is no exchange, so no communication. All simply. Nowadays there are too many stupidities.

Paper : No exchange but information can be as structured as in a forum (even if there are bad papers). Information depends on paper and not on electricity. I prefer reading material books than virtual books (actually I've never tried).

Epistulae : letters give a little interactivity but can be very deep (intim / private).

Intim book : Do you want me to read the yours ? :lol:

Blogs : I've never been interested in it :lol: . Is there an interactivity like in forums ? But you can take time for writing it well.

Shokin
shokin
Polished Diamond Member

Postby Dixie » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:20 pm

shokin wrote:
TV : There is no exchange, so no communication. All simply. Nowadays there are too many stupidities.

There IS communication, but it's unidirectional. You get the information but can't reply.
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby Dixie » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:22 pm

shokin wrote:Blogs : I've never been interested in it :lol: .

By the way, I see I can understand written French almost perfectly 8)
Dixie

Postby Cucumber » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:24 pm

I think that is five diffirent points: to write, to read, to listen, to speak face to face and speak "by phone" i.e. internet connection too. It's hard to me to create my idea quick when i'm speaking. My brain slowly drag behind my idea. Behaind them slowly drag my tongue. And finally follow undefined moo from myself. It's very jolly process is watshed by other persons. But I try to do it for spite myself!!! :evil: :twisted:
Cucumber
Gold Member

Postby storm » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:53 pm

my opinion is, that when you can´t tell your freinds what you feel really...you should reconceive your friendships..... :|
storm

Postby shokin » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:08 am

Dixie wrote:
shokin wrote:

There IS communication, but it's unidirectional. You get the information but can't reply.

Unidirectional means for me no communication.

Moreover you, uncousciously, get the feeling of being useless, with no influence. You are becoming fatalist and excellent in art of doing nothing.

You did understant what I've written ! Congratulations !!! (and bravour of reading all this long text)

Maybe I will try to translate it in english. :lol:

Shokin
shokin
Polished Diamond Member

Postby Dixie » Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:33 pm

shokin wrote:Unidirectional means for me no communication.

But the person on the screen is communicating something to you, they are giving information and you are receiving that information. Even though there can't be a response from you, that's an act of communication.
Dixie

Postby shokin » Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:40 pm

Dixie wrote:
shokin wrote:Unidirectional means for me no communication.

But the person on the screen is communicating something to you, they are giving information and you are receiving that information. Even though there can't be a response from you, that's an act of communication.

Mmm... there cannot be any interaction nevertheless. You are only influenced (where is your auto-determination ?).

Shokin
shokin
Polished Diamond Member

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas and Opinions