Talk about books and writers here.

Moderator: EC

hereiam
Rising Star
Rising Star

let's discuss some books, please:)

Post by hereiam »

hello:)
my name is hereiam. I am very bored lately. I am so bored with life that I started to read "Pride and Prejudice". My dream is to read "Pickwick Papers" but I cannot find this book. I forgot totally where I hid it:(((.
Well... I have tried to read at least ONE of Jane Austin's books 100 times but they have always seemed to me sooooooo boooooooring that I couldn't get over 1 chapter at least!:(((
Today I have managed to read first chapter.
I think it is a big achievement of mine!
Language is a bit old-fashioned and Mr Bingley still hasn't appeared but somehow today it seemed to me more interesting that I found it some years ago... interesting why?
Jane Austin fans go into light please!:)
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: let's discuss some books, please:)

Post by Dixie »

hereiam wrote: Well... I have tried to read at least ONE of Jane Austin's books 100 times but they have always seemed to me sooooooo boooooooring that I couldn't get over 1 chapter at least!:(((
That's exactly what happened to me with Pride and Prejudice! I could read only a few chapters, but I found it sooo dull that I didn't want to force myself to read it.
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

You guys have changed my mind totally!
i was told only good things about Jane Austen and her books, 'classical english romance' and 'touching literature'... But now passing through book shelves in a book-shop when i see Jane Austen i say to myself No way... and run away quickly! :lol: :lol:

Of course i'd better find it out by myself... but why should i waste my time tasting something dull.. hmm... :roll:

i used to know a booooring lady, she adored Austen... so see the connection? :roll: :lol: (i'm not polite tonight...)
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Well, Tora, actually, I want to give Jane Austen another chance. I will re-start Pride and Prejudice and give it another try, because I always think that if this novel is such a classic and one of the most popular novels in English literature, it must be worth it. I think that finding it boring was only my fault. I should have read it with the passion it deserves, and I surely didn't.
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

Dixie wrote:Well, Tora, actually, I want to give Jane Austen another chance. I will re-start Pride and Prejudice and give it another try, because I always think that if this novel is such a classic and one of the most popular novels in English literature, it must be worth it. I think that finding it boring was only my fault. I should have read it with the passion it deserves, and I surely didn't.
Good luck, Dixie!
I hope one day you'll manage it and will determine your judgement! :wink:
i'm still too far from that idea... :roll: :oops:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: let's discuss some books, please:)

Post by MissLT »

hereiam wrote:hello:)
my name is hereiam. I am very bored lately. I am so bored with life that I started to read "Pride and Prejudice"
I didn't know you could be so darn funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:
hereiam
Rising Star
Rising Star

hello people:)

Post by hereiam »

I am HERE;) again...
well... you can believe or no - I have managed to read ...10 chapters of "Pride and Prejudice" since Saturday!
Dixy - can you beat me?;) Not a single word about others.
You know - I like this book very much. It is even funny from time to time. Now I am in the place where Elisabeth stood up to stretch her bones after 5 hours of sitting and talking about nothing. Her sister Jane is still ill.
Darcy has already liked Elisabeth's eyes but ...you know what he told about her at first ball that she wasnot pretty enough to tempt him and worthu enough to dance with him. What a rude guy!:( We could say an elephant in a porcelain shop. Poor Elisabeth - why did she laugh at it at first? Darcy is hopeless by that moment but remember his annual income is 10 thousand a year, while Bingley has an income of 5 thousand a year and do you remember what was an income of Mr. Bennet (the father of 5 daughters) - only 2 thousand a year. Awful:(((.
Besides I didn't like he was calling his daughters "idiots" or something like that (excluding Elisabeth whom he liked).
Poor Elisabeth - she must put up with these all awful people who do nothing but gossiping:( Times haven't changed at all here and there:(
Well...noone promised us a paradise on this earth...
Read you soon:)
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Wow Hereiam you're deeply into the book! ;)

Well done!
hereiam
Rising Star
Rising Star

hello Dixie!:)

Post by hereiam »

sad piece of news today..:(
I have made no progress since yesterday. Almost no progress.
But Jane has recovered hurried by her younger sister Elisabeth and they came back home (I don't remember if the coach was Bingley's or their own). Anyway, they mother was very unhappy seeing them cause she wanted them to stay at Bingely till Tuesday (that would give one week of time of their being there). But they came back on Sunday mostly because Elisabeth didn't want to trouble their neighbours any longer.
Poor Elisabeth!:(
Well.. Darcy is still awful. A total snob we would say today. All his comments and demands... I am really astonished remembering that finally he married Elisabeth...
PS. I love my boring life. Really.
To be continued...:)
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Hereiam please don't tell the story, I still want to read the book :D
JainaSolo

Post by JainaSolo »

Probably you won't believe me but I really love Jane Austen's novels...they're wonderful! :lol: I enjoyed the "Pride and Prejudice" film so much that I bought the book as soon as possible and now I've already finished also "Sense and Sensibility", "Emma" and "Northanger Abbey"...
I love Jane Austen's writing style, the characters (Mr Darcy is my favourite one!), the setting...if I had more time (and of course if Austen had written some novels more and not only 6! :cry: :cry: :cry: ) I'd never stop reading her novels!
...How can you find those novels boring?They're so great! :cry: :cry: :shock:
hereiam
Rising Star
Rising Star

hello Florence:)

Post by hereiam »

Hello:)
Boring? I read them in English (one use of my reading them at least). So you know - I have MANY problems here and there. Really:(. Well... I have to notice that except of talking about balls some girls play the pianos, sing, walk, Darcy can write a letter (oh my God!). Lizzy Bennet can read books. Maybe Jane also. Not a single word about their three younger sisters who like some officers.
Yes - this book is deeply interesting for contemporary people who have to fight had to survive.
Still, let me come and share here my next comments after 10 next chapters.
See you soon.
hereiam:)
hereiam
Rising Star
Rising Star

ps

Post by hereiam »

PS. work hard - not had.
Never better.
I hope I will like Mr Darcy one day. And I am curious to guess for WHAT (excluding his annual income of course).
Well... till this moment I would really feel sorrow thinking about Elisabeth Bennet around these all snobish people but don't forget he has a very good friend - Charlotte Lucas with whom she can speak frankly.
And I noticed Austin LOVES the word "agreeable". People are dived into the ones who have beautiful, AGREEABLE personalities and for the rest of human race. I am wondering what did she mean in fact? Maybe someone could help me...
:roll:
JainaSolo

Re: hello Florence:)

Post by JainaSolo »

hereiam wrote:Hello:)
Boring? I read them in English (one use of my reading them at least). So you know - I have MANY problems here and there. Really:(.
Wow, you're reading it on English!That's great! :D I am sure I wouldn't be able, ... :roll: shame on me! :cry:
JainaSolo

Re: ps

Post by JainaSolo »

hereiam wrote: I hope I will like Mr Darcy one day. And I am curious to guess for WHAT (excluding his annual income of course).
ahah :D Don't you like him? He's my favourite character, he's just like a man should be, in my opinion :roll:
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Boring? I read them in English (one use of my reading them at least). So you know - I have MANY problems here and there.
Are they really good in Polish like they are in English? :?
hereiam
Rising Star
Rising Star

hello people:)

Post by hereiam »

Well... good question - I have never tried to read Austin in Polish. But you know - I am often very dissapointed with various translations. Sometimes books -specially the ones like Austin's are translated in a very romantic - people tend to see only romance there. While in fact they are often much more complicated. When I read Austin in English I CAN SEE these past times she had described. Nothing strange - she LIVED in these times. I can read her boring stories are still very vivid - they make the daily routine, normal habits etc. I noticed that rather long sentences were built with more pleasure by her heroes than short messages (like SMS today). These people simply had time to think over a lot of things, see details, and still muse over how to use others to increase their annual income to...another 10 thousand?
But one day I will try to find Polish translation for sure. I hope I will SEE the times and people as much as in original version.
All in all, it isn't surely an easy thing to translate a masterpiece.
I wouldn't even try (my knowledge of historical English equals ZERO) though from time to time when I try to compare some translations .., Polish version seem to be hopeless. I don't know why. Without original energy, spirit, flair...I don't know-somehow they are very "heavy" -whatever it means...
:roll:
Traslators - translate your books with more passion, please:)
Put some energy into people from the past. Give them some opportunities to LIVE.
That's all by now.
PS. Mr Collins appeared - another awful type. I am at chapter 15. Total boot-licker. AGREEABLE I mean.
:)
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: hello people:)

Post by MissLT »

hereiam wrote:Well... good question - I have never tried to read Austin in Polish. But you know - I am often very dissapointed with various translations. Sometimes books -specially the ones like Austin's are translated in a very romantic - people tend to see only romance there. While in fact they are often much more complicated.
This is a good point. Since one word can carry different meanings I think translators usually interpret the meanings in their own way. And then we'll imagine the meanings based on their way; it's no longer original. :cry:
hereiam
Rising Star
Rising Star

oh jeez -how many mistakes in my letter...:(

Post by hereiam »

Well... good question - I have never tried to read Austin in Polish. But you know - I am often very dissapointed with various translations. Sometimes books -specially the ones like Austin's are translated in a very romantic - people tend to see only romance there. While in fact they are often much more complicated. When I read Austin in English I CAN SEE these past times she had described. Nothing strange - she LIVED in these times. I can read her boring stories are still very vivid - they make the daily routine, normal habits etc. I noticed that rather long sentences were built with more pleasure by her heroes than short messages (like SMS today). These people simply had time to think over a lot of things, see details, and still muse over how to use others to increase their annual income to...another 10 thousand?
But one day I will try to find Polish translation for sure. I hope I will SEE the times and people as much as in original version.
I wouldn't even try (my knowledge of historical English equals ZERO) though from time to time when I try to compare some translations .., Polish version seem to be hopeless. I don't know why. Without original energy, spirit, flair...I don't know-somehow they are very "heavy" -whatever it means...
Rolling Eyes
Put some energy into people from the past. Give them some opportunities to LIVE.
That's all by now.
PS. Mr Collins appeared - another awful type. I am at chapter 15. Total boot-licker. AGREEABLE I mean.

time for correcting them
-----------------------------------------------------------
Well... a good question - I have never tried to read Austin in Polish. But you know - I am often very dissapointed with various translations. Sometimes books -specially the ones like Austin's are translated in a very romantic way- people tend to see only romance there. While in fact they are often much more complicated. When I read Austin in English I CAN SEE these past times she had described. Nothing strange - she LIVED in those times. I can read her boring stories that are still very vivid as deals language - people do their daily routine, have normal more and less interesting habits etc.
I noticed that rather long sentences are built with more pleasure by her heroes than short messages (like SMS today). These people simply had time to think over a lot of things, see details, and still muse over how to use others to increase their annual income by...another 10 thousand?
But one day I will try to find Polish translation for sure. I hope I will SEE the times and people reading it as much as I can do it in original version.
I wouldn't even try (my knowledge of historical English equals ZERO) though from time to time when I try to compare some translations with originals... Polish versions seem to be hopeless. I don't know why. Without original energy, spirit, flair...I don't know-somehow they are very "heavy" -whatever it means...

That's all by now.
-------------------------------------------------------
PS2.... I noticed in chapter 15 that Mr Collins tried to marry too. Oh my God - everyone in this book wants only to marry! It is like marrying-horror! :( Mr collins met with Mr. Darcy by accident as far as I got the point. Oh - this all Mr. Darcy... I am anxious to go on. Really. Bit sooner I promised to everyone that I wouldn't write here before finishing 20 chapter but as you can read the facts go so fast in this book that I couldn't resist from telling you about my anxiety due to it...;)
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

LennyeTran wrote:
Boring? I read them in English (one use of my reading them at least). So you know - I have MANY problems here and there.
Are they really good in Polish like they are in English? :?
I've read Austen both in English and Polish and as always I prefer the orginal version better but I don't mind Polish that much. After all I guess translating books must be a hard task...
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

illusion wrote:
I've read Austen both in English and Polish and as always I prefer the orginal version better but I don't mind Polish that much. After all I guess translating books must be a hard task...
Yeah, that's true. Like in Harry Potter, the sixth book ended with a mysterious initials R.A.B and the Dutch version translated it as R.A.Z. They translated Sirius Black as Sirius Zwarts. Hmmmmm.... :?
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

LennyeTran wrote:
illusion wrote:
Yeah, that's true. Like in Harry Potter, the sixth book ended with a mysterious initials R.A.B and the Dutch version translated it as R.A.Z. They translated Sirius Black as Sirius Zwarts. Hmmmmm.... :?
I don't remember that...what was that R.A.B all about?
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

illusion wrote:
The note to the Dark Lord Harry was reading after Dumbledore's funeral, which he found in the cave with him. Remember, they wanted to destroy the horcrux in that cave.
hereiam
Rising Star
Rising Star

hello Jane Austin's fans:)

Post by hereiam »

well... I have just finished chapter 18 but I feel I should write here some new immpressons of mine after...ball.
Well... I am dissapointed. with Mrs. Bennet the most. Why didn't she like Elisabeth and wanted to marry her to Mr. Collins? What a boring, boasting idiot!:( Some mothers are really a puzzle.
Well... taking into account whole situation Darcy better than Collins though have you noticed that he is jealous of...other men? Jeez - I don't think it won't help his life any easier. He seems to be a little lofty cosa nostra chief or what - who can know it? and such type in reality could have homosexual inclines. I know it:(. Poor Elisabeth. All in all his father is dead.
Well.. what more? have you noticed all intimate and sincere conversations between two sister - Jane and Elisabeth are always held in ...shrubberies? It is awful. Oh - Darcy can dance. Important. And Lizzy likes to have an ideal family and doesn't like to be laughed at when something isn't ideal.
Mr Collins.... brrrr... once I knew a guy like him. He invited me to a party but I gave him money back. Finally, I prefered to go on my own than in his company. Can you imagine that your own mother wants to marry you to Mr Collins? The colegue of mine isn't any clergyman now but he has always been the same ass-licker and the nuisance. Sometimes is really better to pay on your own than to have a spoilt party.
Read me soon:)
hereiam
hereiam
Rising Star
Rising Star

ps.

Post by hereiam »

1.couldn't MAKE his life any easier of course:)
2. sisters

Nice reading:)
I am going to read "Pickwick papers" next. Who has already read it?:)
hereiam
Rising Star
Rising Star

finally-

Post by hereiam »

- I would say COULD MAKE HIS LIFE ANY EASIER.
JainaSolo

Re: ps.

Post by JainaSolo »

hereiam wrote:I am going to read "Pickwick papers" next. Who has already read it?:)
I'd love to read it too, but I have it only on english and I'm sure it's too difficult. :? Are you going to read it on english?
hereiam
Rising Star
Rising Star

hi:)

Post by hereiam »

Yes - I am trying hard to move on in original version but it is ...unbearable slow and yesterday I took a "Reader" - level 6 to finish one part of story. During weekend I will read the same in original. When I had more time I was reading all English books in English and liked it much more than all textbooks.
Sometimes I had to read one sentence three times to get it but I was very stuborn.
Now, the Elisabeth's visit in Pemberly is over. She is back at home and still noone wiser in this all ~ called life than Darcy - a rich ...orphan. And a brother of weak sister who could be easiely enchanted by someone with ...worse connections than Elisabeth's ones. I know it very well.
I have only one sibling but I know how things go in such situations Darcy found himself - with lot of Wickham's dreaming about your properties and all these Judashes...;)
I still think he was very wise and in total love for Elisabeth.
very nice - we will see what will be on.
During weekend I am comming back into original version - any readers, please;)
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

LennyeTran wrote:
illusion wrote:
The note to the Dark Lord Harry was reading after Dumbledore's funeral, which he found in the cave with him. Remember, they wanted to destroy the horcrux in that cave.[/quote

ohhh yeah... oh man I read it such a long period of time ago I can hardly remember the book now :(
senphoi

a corner for reading

Post by senphoi »

reading is one way to nurture your soul in this busy and crowded world like this one. reading is a way to help you stay away the noisy world in an interesting books or into a peaceful world.
is there any guys here who also love to read? you can read any kind of stuffs from novel to the short stories. could you share with me the books you read here? we could discuss what makes books or a certain work be an outstanding one.
hope you hear from you soon.
Sen