Insect food, have you ever tried?

This forum combines the former Food & Drink and Health & Fitness forums. Post your ideas here!

Moderator: EC

mozic

Insect food, have you ever tried?

Post by mozic »

When I was small, I sometimes ate stir-fried silkworms (pupa). At first, I had a horror of it as it looked terrible. But after trying it, I found that it was delicious. It tasted of nuttery and buttery flavor. it was really interesting.
I heard that many people enjoy eating insect food such as ants, worms.. even scorpions. and how about U? can U share your experiences, your feeling about this?
ayadoua

Post by ayadoua »

:shock: NEVER NEVER NEVER .........EATING INSECT HORRIBLE :x THEY LIVE IN BAD PLACE AND EAT BAD THING THAT´S WHY I CAN´T ..........
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Ew no... thank you... I find it disgusting, but I know it's something related to culture. I'm sure that as well as I find eating insects gross, in other cultures, the typical and most popular dish of my town, which is all kind of seafood, would be considered as disgusting as I find insects.

(I find seafood disgusting too, by the way)
shokin
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by shokin »

I had tried some grilled worms and lombrics.

Good but not so nutritivo. If you want to eat a great plate of worms, you have to search and take many... :lol:

With nothing, it tastes like rice.

But why not fritos gusanos ! Knowing that they are ded, you can put them in a vegetable soup or mixing them with spices (pimento, pizco for example :lol: ).

But the sine qua non condition : you must not think that they are alive. :lol:

Shokin
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Insect food, have you ever tried?

Post by Krisi »

I remember, a friend (an officemate) asked me to taste something that looked like a shrimp. I then asked her to taste it first and so she tasted some enjoyably. I took a piece. It was really delicious, cooked to its crispiness and sweet too...after I swallowed my last piece she then told me that's a locust dish. :shock:
And then I ended our lunch with a loud laugh!!! I'm still alive!!! :)

Please check the picture. (courtesy of wikipedia)

:arrow: LOCUST

:)
esl member since 2007
miss

Post by miss »

neveer..how can :?: very disgusting..
btw i've funny story about my sister.One day she felt very sleepy,when her mouth open, a mosquito in to her mouth, she was startled but the mosquito was in.then she try to vomit it..but the mosquito still in..i think the mosquito was in until her intestine and will adsorbing by her body :mrgreen:
finaly she was tasted a mosquito..emm i want to know what the taste it??is delicious :lol:
Best Regards,
--Miss Nani--
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

miss wrote:neveer..how can :?: very disgusting..
btw i've funny story about my sister.One day she felt very sleepy,when her mouth open, a mosquito in to her mouth, she was startled but the mosquito was in.then she try to vomit it..but the mosquito still in..i think the mosquito was in until her intestine and will adsorbing by her body :mrgreen:
finaly she was tasted a mosquito..emm i want to know what the taste it??is delicious :lol:
She was still lucky!!! The mosquito is only one... :lol: :P :lol: :P
Last edited by Krisi on Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
esl member since 2007
miss

Post by miss »

Krisi wrote:
She was still lucky!!! The mosquito was alone... :lol: :P :lol: :P
yeah you right krisi..my sister was lucky..cause she was help the mosquito from alone :wink:
Maybe, if you alone..please visited to my sister mouth..welcome :mrgreen: :wink: :P
--just kidding--- :)
Best Regards,
--Miss Nani--
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

miss wrote:
Krisi wrote:
She was still lucky!!! The mosquito was alone... :lol: :P :lol: :P
yeah you right krisi..my sister was lucky..cause she was help the mosquito from alone :wink:
Maybe, if you alone..please visited to my sister mouth..welcome :mrgreen: :wink: :P
--just kidding--- :)
Wrong word! :roll:

I'm sorry I didn't think in that way (and didn't get what you mean)...maybe your level of thinking is different from mine.
esl member since 2007
Sunnypk
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re:

Post by Sunnypk »

Rory wrote:...
Yukky ! :shock:
I Can't even look at these things .. how about eating them ..
oh GOSH ..
they r disgusting , detestable !
hehe me too
even I can't imagine if we are bless with alot of natural things than what's the need of...?
As you sew, so shall you reap
miss

Post by miss »

Wrong word! :roll:

I'm sorry I didn't think in that way (and didn't get what you mean)...maybe your level of thinking is different from mine.
Sorry krisi i was wrong cause i reply yr msg with...i don't read yr msg before, i was just quoted yr words and shows not only one but alone, please see my last quotation.
i don't know how can or maybe something error abt my comp..

yuup u're right abt your level of thinking is different from mine it because my english is not good. isnt'it..okey i will hard study in english..thanks you want corrected my faults :)
Best Regards,
--Miss Nani--
meinenglish

Post by meinenglish »

Ooh yeah I do and it's snail !!!! but to be honest it's delicious and tasty. Here in Morocco we cook it with lot of spices and we almost eat it outdoors, because 1 bol is enough it's not a complete meal just to taste especially if you got flu .. it's eaten hot !
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

mozic wrote:When I was small, I sometimes ate stir-fried silkworms (pupa).
I tried some when I was in Cambodia. I can't remember the exactly taste now since I had it when I was only four or five years old, but I think it tasted like popcorns.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

meinenglish wrote:Ooh yeah I do and it's snail !!!! but to be honest it's delicious and tasty.
A lot of Vietnamese would agree with you on this one. We eat snails like others eat snacks. Beside pate and bread an appetite for snails is a nice influence the French bestowed it on us.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Snails are very popular in Catalunya as well. My dad loves them. In fact, there are some in the fridge right now. (I hate them, though).
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

You and I can go eat buffet together, then. There's less chance we'll be fighting over the food. I'll take the snails and crabs while you can eat anything else. I might share the shrimps and lobsters with you, though, depending on how much I love you. Yet, there's no promise. :mrgreen:
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

LennyeTran wrote:You and I can go eat buffet together, then. There's less chance we'll be fighting over the food. I'll take the snails and crabs while you can eat anything else. I might share the shrimps and lobsters with you, though, depending on how much I love you. Yet, there's no promise. :mrgreen:
Don't worry Lennye you can eat all the shrimps and lobsters. I don't like seafood :mrgreen:
allison

Re:

Post by allison »

shokin wrote:I had tried some grilled worms and lombrics.
Shokin
Oh my! :shock:
[color=#404000][i]We cannot control the evil tongues of others, but good life enables us to disregard them.[/i][/color]
denvinbo
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by denvinbo »

It's look disgusting but delicious...... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rossana

Post by Rossana »

I had a Korean friend who had me tasted this dish..It's canned pupa. I'm no surehow they call that dish.I forgot. It's spicy and I liked the smell of the soup.. not bad. {-:
Annaa
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Annaa »

I think that I will never try that,it`s so disgusting :evil: :mrgreen: .
If you don`t like me remember it's mind over matter..I don't mind and you don't matter..