seeking readers of real literature

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderator: EC

iamspartacus

seeking readers of real literature

Post by iamspartacus »

Hi My name is Philip and I am a serious reader. I dont read stuff like da vinci code but classics and real literature and philosophy. If you like to read good literature and not "airport novels" then please contact me and we can chat. (for example, somebody mentioned pride and prejudice - that's real literature. Angela's Ashes is on the right tracks too, although my favs are poeple like Dostoevsky, Kafka, Oscar Wilde etc).

bye for now
Philip.
LadyMacbeth
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

hi reader:)

Post by LadyMacbeth »

Yes - it was me who mentioned Pride and Prejudice here.
Truly speaking I haven't finished this book still. I trid so hard to motivate myself but I failed. However, what made me really surprised is the fact that I found some nice places on the Net where people comment this book 24 hours a day. Thus it seemed to me this book was the more vivid and actual.
However, would have Elisabeth Bennet thought about Darcy so many times again and again, I mean, would have she studied over his character and letter and had been trying to understand him if he hadn't be so rich??? if he had been poorer?
I mean - this is a book about love but is it about love at all?
In one moment I even came to conclusion that this is a book about Darvinian theory of eecolution - I mean - the best survive.
Some comments made me thinking this way. Really!
And what is your opinion? Your English is so perfect - it would be a real pleasure to read your letters. No doubt.
Regards,
LM.
iamspartacus

hi

Post by iamspartacus »

Hi LM

nice to hear from you. unfortunately I dont have much time at this moment so I will have to get back to you. Just wanted to make a quick reply. Firstly, I am not an expert on literature. My fields are philosophy and psychology but I am very interested in the ideas behind many great works of literature. My primary interest in Jane Austin would be her representation of virtue and the incredibly strong temptations or obstacles that prevent us from reaching it, e.g. vanity and pride.

One of the ideas I follow is that the truth tends to conceal itself, so that it always makes itself difficult to identify. So, we are often led into error. In order to find truth we have to fight against ourselves and our egoistic tendencies. Also, truth is what lies underneath appearances. We can choose the comfortable life and stay with appearances, or we can dig deeper to the underliying reality, and then we come to see things differently. I think this is what I get out of Pride and Prejudice. It's the idea of attaining a deeper understanding through working through our own failings.

In what sense did you think it seemed Darwinian? Maybe you are referring to the competitiveness? Don't worry if you are not sure. I dont expect you to have an answer, as often we cannot express what wee feel.

Anyway, nice to hear from you. Where are you from and what do you do? What else do you like to read?

Nice name by the way!

take care
Philip.
LadyMacbeth
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

hi:)

Post by LadyMacbeth »

I am not nice, Asian girl:(. What would you like to know?:)
I am a countryside teacher:). And I love it:)
iamspartacus

God made the country and man made the town. - William Cowper

Post by iamspartacus »

Dear Lady Macbeth

looking over some of your older posts, you seem like a fairly interesting person, although somewhat opinionated - not that that is a bad thing. You teach countryside??! How does that work? Here we don't have a subject called "countryside". We have geography, but that might be different than what you mean. In any case, it sounds intriguing.

I teach psychology, and going off what I have seen, I would say that you are probably a fairly well-informed person with a sardonic sense of humor and critical self-awareness. Often misunderstood, I would say that you are the type of person who has many qualities that are never really appreciated. Hence, you often feel under-appreciated. You have a fairly tough exterior or presentation but underneath are quite soft-centred and caring. I am sure that given the right circumstances you will find a lot of fulfilment.

don't become too cynical!

talk soon

Philip.
LadyMacbeth
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

hello:)

Post by LadyMacbeth »

Nice to read you in this forum again:)
Well... psychology. Is it a science at all? Is it a science like chemistry like physics like maths? Is it? Of course it is:(
Of course I am kidding a bit:) Of course it is:) Whom are you teaching psychology? Children about 10? Or grown up people?
Well... as a psychologist tell me then - where people feel better - in the forest or in the traffic noise. What is more natural habitat to them? You are psychology teacher - you should know such things. No doubt.
My countryside is very specific. Maybe it is the most unique countryside in the world - who knows it? Noone -for sure.
Moreover, I can take a risk and say that I live in my bigger countryside than my own little countryside, I can take up the courage and say that some capitals are countryside and nothing more, that some states are countrysides.
Do you like philosophy? You shouldn't forget about philosophy.
There are our roots and only few things changed since the Greek times to be quite sincere. Technology is better. but philosphy? But religion? These things don't want to evolve.
Only technology changes rapidly. But does it change us for better? how do you think Mr Psychologist?
LM:)
ps. what is a difference between MOTIVATION and DETERMINATION. what is better - to be determined to read a book or to be motivated to do that.
And what with writing a book? How does it look like in your opinion? Was Lady Macbeth determined to have a power or she was greedy of power, or ambitious was she. What is the difference among ambition, greediness and determination.
:roll:
Thanks for your nice words here Mr. Spartacus.
Great that summer is comming, isn't it?
:)