books, books, books...

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderator: EC

LadyMacbeth
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

books, books, books...

Post by LadyMacbeth »

You know - lately I have been discussing with people from my country and I asked them "what to write in this country to be successfull writer?". I gave them my proposal for best-selling book.
It was "The Condom". Simple, natural(?), interesting, intrigue,
breath-taking, something you will look into for sure.
But someone corrected me "No. Your title is bit too obvious to be intrigue. Name your book "The condom and the cross" and I will buy it.
What do you think about it?
:roll:
Sincerely Yours,,
LM
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

The condom and the cross? It's about intimacy and religion? The title sounds pretty interesting to me. Go for it.
LadyMacbeth
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

hello Lennie:)

Post by LadyMacbeth »

by now I only know my book entitled "Condome and cross" should have red cover. As deals the body - hard to choose to me what it should begin with. Maybe I will start with a fristrated 30 years old woman who has just come back home from solar studio and discovered - to her dismay -she got burnt there but only on ..left part of her body while the right part is as pale as it was:(.
What is she doing in such crisis? She writes a letter on Internet forum and cries for help how to cure her burnt left-part of the body. Her husband is far from home and her 9 years old son is at school. it is a real story, what worse.
She went there cause she will go for a family party (so called First Communion - catholic fest) in two weeks and she wants to shine there. I gave her some pieces of advice of course but she only called some names at my address:(((
I don't know why:(((
It could a chapter number 1 -its title "I am burnt before First Communion".
Never better:)
:)
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

What's your main focus for your new book?
LadyMacbeth
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

good book? very difficult to write.

Post by LadyMacbeth »

For me it would be rather easier to write a good English language book than any other (though I am aware my English is really... missing often). Or maybe next episode of a cabaret series. But a fiction?
SCIENCE-fiction probably:(
But when we are on English learning forum I have to say that I don't like all these English language books that are without any cultural aspect at all. I like books that give cultural aspect because they should give it!!! Nations around the world have beautiful children literature and publishers shouldn't forget that many books for children had been written before Rowling (for example).
As deals me I would recommned to write a student book for Polish kids that would encourage them (for example) to read about the adventures of Mr. Blot and his pupils. As a young kid I liked this Polish book and movie very much. It was an ABSOLUTE local hit here.
Today when teaching kids about 10 I am sad they don't care about nothing but Harry Potter. So I am sure soon Harry Potter will be the next main hero of many textbooks for young learners. Truly speaking I am astonished why he isn't yet.
All in all you can read more:
Academy of Mr. Kleks, The / Akademia Pana Kleksa
An adaptation of a novel by Jan Brzechwa. 10-year Jaś Niezgódka begins his studies at a strange boarding school located in an old palace. The pedagogue, Mr. Blot, is not merely a teacher, but also an alchemist and a dream-interpreter. He lives on colorful confetti-like “freckles” that are provided for him on a weekly basis by Filip the Barber. When he runs out of “freckles”, he shrinks. Meanwhile, Jaś embarks upon several adventures and discovers the secret of Filip the Barber. The latter desires to ruin Mr. Blot and his Academy. Eventually he succeeds by sending robot named Adolf into the school. Partially animated and with numerous songs, this children’s film was widely acclaimed and seen by over 14 million spectators in movie theatres. It is filled with allusions, mainly to “Star Wars” and “The Muppets”.
Krzysztof Gradowski, Poland, 1984, Polish/Subtitles: English, 158 min, fiction film, DVD-ROMs

I know that my letter isn't what you expected but I don't feel I could write any valuable fiction book at all. That's why I changed topic because I would never ever wrote anything as stupid as "The condome and the cross".
But if I would do anything like that I would put happiness as a main subject of my book. I mean - what does it mean to be happy. And the main hero would be ...a talking-bookworm probably. I don't know why. Maybe because I like bookworms?
:wink:
ok. I am kidding a bit.See you later:)
LM.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: good book? very difficult to write.

Post by MissLT »

LadyMacbeth wrote: For me it would be rather easier to write a good English language book than any other (though I am aware my English is really... missing often). Or maybe next episode of a cabaret series. But a fiction?
SCIENCE-fiction probably:(
Than any other what? Languages, you meant? To me anyone can write a book, but to get it published or not is the question of your writing skills. My English teacher in college (I dropped her class after two weeks) who has her Ph.D in English teaching has tried to get her book published a lot of times (according to her), and she's never succeeded. The publishers didn't get so wow about her ideas and told her to try different angles. Unfortunately, she's a stubborn lady. She told us she would keep trying to find a publisher to get her book published. I haven't heard anything from her for two years. Also, I haven't seen any new author under her name, so I guess she's still fighting for her book.
LadyMacbeth wrote: Today when teaching kids about 10 I am sad they don't care about nothing but Harry Potter. So I am sure soon Harry Potter will be the next main hero of many textbooks for young learners. Truly speaking I am astonished why he isn't yet.
This is the magic of a good writing and hours of research, I suppose. My friend's husband is a writer. She told me he mostly has to do hours of research for his stories, even the short ones. Fiction or not, the ideas have to start from somewhere accurate.
hereiam
Rising Star
Rising Star

hello Lennye,

Post by hereiam »

Thanks for you nice reply. You are a very nice young woman after all;)
Generally I think people should write about things they know. I am biologist so I can write fiction about wildlife cause I know it. I also know school life in my country so I can make some satirical portraits of all schools here. And every day I am finding new topics for my general satire of Polish educational system. People here laugh about politics that makes me really sick but somehow noone laughs how stupid educational system is here nowadays:(. For me I am walking example of it so maybe I could make a satire about it using insects as the main heros of my story.
I hope that all these hopeless people will never be able to "catch" what IN THE DEEPEST FACT are the sketches about:(. Otherwise noone would "buy" them as far as I know:(. They are so proud here, so aloof and so conceited:(
But summing up I think is much better to joke about school than about politics in Poland which is really pitiful nowadays:(. Besides someone has to watch the sketches I would produce if I want to have next dinner at all! And teachers aren't too rich as we all know:(. So when I write sketches about school I can invite politicians and be paid much more than writing about politics and inviting teachers (who in my country care about politics the same way politicians do!:( ).
PS1. I can also make some make up some funny stories about fighting profesors and crazy inventions. These are things I know too. But always I would make inverterbrates as the main heros. Cause I love all these little nasty creatures very much.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PS2. Besides, I think Mr Eistein is much more interesting to joke about than Mr Hitler (for example). You could also be very stunned how difficult, complicated and embarrassing was Einstein's private (family) life. His son had a mental disease and Einstein didn't care neither about him nor about his Bulgarian(?!) wife. At last he divorced her and married another as far as I remember. Probably that's the reason he became such an icon of science of XX century.
Hmmm...
PS3. I thinkpublishers would publish everything if only they can see money in it. Unfortunatelly, they aren't able to predict many things still. For example I would never ever suspect Harry Potter could make SUCH an international career while so many thousand times more valuable books surely are forgotten for ever...:(
Nice day Lennye:)
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

hereiam wrote:Thanks for you nice reply. You are a very nice young woman after all;)
Same goes to you, too. Maybe we've finally picked up the right channel to communicate. :wink: :lol:
hereiam wrote:Generally I think people should write about things they know.
Exactly. But writing about things you know is only for journal. In your journal, you can write about anything like your days at work or how bacteria can be good and bad for our bodies, etc. You write about anything that comes up in your mind without worrying about its accurate.

Writing a book is totally different. Fiction or not, you still need some true foundation and a heavy load of research hours. This is why Harry Potter or Da Vinci Code is so famous. The books are totally fictional; however, people, for example, like me, can go online and search for more information based on the details in the books. It's like there's a base of information out there somewhere, and the authors have taken some of the information back and build a part of the bridge for us. All we have to do now is extend the bridge to get to where they've taken their information to gain our knowledge. It's so cool.
hereiam wrote:I am biologist so I can write fiction about wildlife cause I know it. I also know school life in my country so I can make some satirical portraits of all schools here. And every day I am finding new topics for my general satire of Polish educational system.
Go ahead. Do it. I think you should. Although writing a textbook is way harder than writing any other kinds of books, in my opinion, but it doesn't stop other people to live up their dreams. Therefore, I think you should.

One of my biology teachers doesn't have a dream to write a textbook although I think she's capable of doing it due to her rich knowledge. Instead she likes to pick out the best biology books for us. And she also writes her own notes. Before, my sister said she copied her notes and passed them out during lectures. Now she starts to sell her notes. She told us all the money will go to the school educational funds since she won't keep a dime.

I know writing her notes is nothing compare to writing a textbook since her notes are based on a texbook anyway. But some students in her her class, like me, think her notes are better than the textbooks. Some of us even asked her if she ever thought of writing a textbook. She responded that her notes are good enough inside the classroom and for us to pass the class only. The textbook is what gonna give us more knowledge even though she didn't pick some of the information in there.
hereiam wrote:PS1. I can also make some make up some funny stories about fighting profesors and crazy inventions. These are things I know too. But always I would make inverterbrates as the main heros. Cause I love all these little nasty creatures very much.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Or you can write about how flowers can talk and stuff since your a botanist, right, if I remember it correctly. Children would love it. You can add information like saving the Earth, environment, atmosphere, etc. through your plant stories.
hereiam wrote: PS2. Besides, I think Mr Eistein is much more interesting to joke about than Mr Hitler (for example). You could also be very stunned how difficult, complicated and embarrassing was Einstein's private (family) life. His son had a mental disease and Einstein didn't care neither about him nor about his Bulgarian(?!) wife. At last he divorced her and married another as far as I remember. Probably that's the reason he became such an icon of science of XX century.
Hmmm...
Ooooh, memoirs, my favorite one. One of my teachers once said, "everyone has a story to tell. How to tell it is the question of your abilities. Make your stories heard through varies way. And one of the best ways is writing." And I think this is why most famous people have their own memoirs. Either they're too conceited or they're like my teacher said--everyone has a story to tell.

However, when it comes to autobiography books, I don't like reading any biography that talks about their whole lives. I only like a part of their lives. It's either their childhood, what period of time that led them to who they are now, myths from others after they've become famous, or their love stories. I particularly like myths the best. To me, it's extraordinary to read a person who knows about his myths and extends the information. It's even better if he doesn't admit those myths are true or not. It leaves it a question mark after finishing the book.

Taken your example, I think it would be cool to read what Hitler had to say about himself, don't you think?
hereiam wrote:PS3. I thinkpublishers would publish everything if only they can see money in it. Unfortunatelly, they aren't able to predict many things still. For example I would never ever suspect Harry Potter could make SUCH an international career while so many thousand times more valuable books surely are forgotten for ever...:(
Nice day Lennye:)
I think this is why a true writer won't stop trying to publish their books. Like that English teacher I told you, I believe she still tries to get her book on the market. And I've heard that Rowling, herself, was having a hard time to get her first Harry Potter book published until the editors at Scholastic liked it and agreed to pay her to get it published. I'm not sure if this information is true. I think I'm gonna go check it.
LadyMacbeth
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Hi Lennye,

Post by LadyMacbeth »

Hii Lennye,

Your last letter is really interesting. Thanks a lot. I am any PHD in English. Far from it. I am biologist and lets keep the facts. 10 However having had any predicting abilities aboout 10 years ago I wouldn't have bothered to study biology in this stupid country at all. It doesn't pay here and these stupid universities instead of helping you to develop ... block you - don't know why:(! This is my case and probably the only use from 6 or 7 years at school for me will be my book about school for insects. I will keep to this idea.
People like my crazy stories so much I notice. I have created to mates - Bark Beetle and Moth - who are main heros. They wonder what to do with their life. Mr. Fox owns the Academy in The Wood Full of Different Surprises but they both have reasons to hate him and thus they hesitate. Besides they don't have too much money.
The story is very complicated.
Mr Fox is planning to open Insect Class next year. They still have so time to wonder if they want to learn or rather fight against Mr Fox. They really hate him, I am afraid:(.
I think at the end of whole story they will beat him by their wit by before they have to wage many battles. Not necesserily on a real battle-field.
Remember, however, we are in Poland 2006. So probably our two main heros will find money to pay but they are totally unable what curriculum will they have:(. They also care so much who are other insect that will join the insect class. At this point they know some POSSIBLE pupils and are partly broken. Some cocroaches there, some flies, butterflies, wasps, grasshoppers, spiders. And many others. Plus ...probably dunk beetle will join the class too:(.
So at this I am now. And people laugh at it very much though they should rather cry (my opinion).
Ok. I think it is very hard to copy my ideas. Their adventures will be unique cause based on my own emotions, moods and experiences.
Mr Fox... how to beat this smart scundrel. They must be even witter. The only way.
You also wrote something about laughing at Mr hitler. I wouldn't laugh at him at all. And thinking about the glory of Einstein today I do it reluctantly cause I am almost sure other Jews helped him to be such a star. And I don't like these people too much. They will be disliked Mr Fox in my book (if any of course).
Read you soon:)

[/quote]
LadyMacbeth
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

By the way...

Post by LadyMacbeth »

How is solved copyright in your country?
In my country I can print out a computer page and give it as a proof in case when datas are on.
I think it is good and useful idea. Of course sometimes it isn't taken into account but mostly yes.
I live in a country where I am too scared to write anything on-line under my name and surname but I deeply hope always truth must win at last. Sometimes even many years after someone's death.
But I believe in it cause otherwise nothing would make any sense at all:(
My dearest Class for Insects in Wood Full of Different Surprises.
And still the same problem - why cannot I draw as good as I should?:(
Cheers though,
:roll:
PS. I think everything is OK till noone makes a stunning career taking ideas of someone else. or using someone's research to discover something really amazing and ...commercially useful.
Specially science knows so many bad examples of such stories. Lets take Watson and Crick achievement with black story of Rosalind Franklin behind.
When I read her story for the first time I swore to myself never everallow to do anythng like she experienced.
By now I must say I haven't had too many occasions to discover anything big but who knows? maybe in 10 years I will make any breakthrough.
Anyway, I often feel very sad that so few news in genetics and so many others. Though maybe the news in genetics would be even more scary?
Who knows...
Once again nice evening or day for everyone,
LM.