EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

People should conform to a country's dress codes.

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

People should conform to a country's dress codes.

Postby TalkingPoint » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

People with specific religious dress requirements should conform to the dress codes of the country they live in, however different those dress requirements and cultural codes might be.

What do you think?
Last edited by TalkingPoint on Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TalkingPoint
EC Teacher
EC Teacher

Postby Dixie » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:19 am

This is something I've been asking myself for a long time. Due to immigration, we see Muslim women every day, dressed from head to toes, and now in summer we wonder... Isn't it too hot? Don't they realize it's too hot to dress like that? But I guess they don't, or, if they do, it's not important for them. They were educated that way, they must hide their body regardless of the heat... I think it's so cruel, but at the same time I'm freaked out by the fact that they don't seem to care; they are bound to their countries's sexist rules. They are living in a free society now, where they can dress however they want to, but they just stick to their traditions. Seeing them makes me feel bad for them, because I know why they dress like that, and I don't understand why they don't complain to their husbands or whoever it is that makes them hide their body and suffer from this heat!

On the other hand, I am sure I wouldn't change my European way of dressing if I went to other countries, but I think that's different. I dress the way I want, there's nobody telling me I should hide my body or my face or my hair (and if there was, I wouldn't listen! :lol: Who are they to tell me what I should do).

So, I also think that if I wouldn't change my dressing style, we can't ask them to do it, either. Regardless of the difference (we dress the way we want, while they are told how to dress).

I'd like to hear the opinions of other Muslims, please.
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby shokin » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:29 pm

Yes, adapt yourself to the local culture ! we have to respect each culture. If we don't, we are killing the diversity of cultures.

!!! I think about real cultures and countries (Quebec, Catalunya...), not about religions !!!

Shokin
shokin
Polished Diamond Member

Postby victoriaa » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:06 pm

I think we have to respect their way to live. If they really want to wear their dresses, they can do that. However in practice not everybody who wears religious dresses really want to wear them. They do that because they are forced to do that by their men and the rules of the religion. Yes, we live in a free world. But not in each country applys these rules.
I self wear the clothes that I want, and nobody would push me to change my clothes. But I live i a really free country. Here are also many muslims, but some of them really want to wear they dresses. And some of them totally not. For example I know some persons who go to school in a religious dress, and in the school toilet they change their dress to short skirt and normal shirt. I think that that is terrible that they are forced to live so who they don't really want. But they have a big family, who will not allow you behave you the way they want, but the way they must according to religion.
How can men change it?
victoriaa

Postby Tora » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:13 pm

hello, Victoriaa! it's nice to meet you.
Well not so long time ago education among europeans and muslims all together was nonsence, but now it's quite common. I guess it's a question of time and integration, the world globalization isn't just theory - it works!
Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Postby victoriaa » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:19 pm

Hopefully it is. I also think it's important to understand the other cultures. Because we all live together. I am absolutely not against other cultures untill the moment the people are forced to do that.
victoriaa

Postby HKdude » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:02 am

First, I think there should not be any specific dress codes in any countries. It depends on our own choice. We can dress what we like. If you think it's a bit odd for us to adopt the other dress code, fine! Just follow suit the dress code in our country then. It doesn't matter! The most important consideration, I think, is comfort.
HKdude

Postby Dixie » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:11 am

HKdude wrote:First, I think there should not be any specific dress codes in any countries. It depends on our own choice. We can dress what we like. If you think it's a bit odd for us to adopt the other dress code, fine! Just follow suit the dress code in our country then. It doesn't matter! The most important consideration, I think, is comfort.

Totally agree! I just can't understand why there have to be specific dressing patterns in some countries. I think the clothes you wear are (or should be) a personal choice.
Dixie

Postby kathymimi » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:54 pm

some people wear special clothes due to their religion or tradition. maybe they think their dressing pattern is nothing different from others. maybe in their minds, every country and every religion has its own dressing pattern, and what others wear is just showing the pattern of their own. don't you think wear what you like is a dressing pattern?
kathymimi

Postby vasilch » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:11 am

I think we all follow dressing pattern of the country where we're living. And this pattern is known as fashion. Fashion is the thing that depends on country culture, country religion. I think if you are in the country where the fashion is different from the one of yours, you should to conform to their fashion. But if some aspects of fashion are complitly forbidden by your culture or your religion you should try to find compromise.... may be mix details of your culture and ones of the country where you are living...
And once more...It shouldn't be right to be opposite to the country culture where you are.... Imagine that Papuan from New Guinea arrives to Paris for example....and walks with dhoti...or without it...
vasilch

Next

Return to Talking Point Discussion