EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

English teachers should teach taboo words to students.

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Postby TalkingPoint » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:31 pm

What do you think?

NB: Taboo words are words used in bad language, such as "damn" or "tits".
Last edited by TalkingPoint on Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TalkingPoint
EC Teacher
EC Teacher

Postby Danyet » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:37 pm

Yes of course they should. People need to understand what others are saying don't they?

PS What does TP stand....Talking Points or Toilet Paper? Hmmm...!
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Tora » Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:17 pm

I doubt... I guess taboo words are times more interesting to learn on your own(mostly from movies) than write them down during your lectures and then to be given a word dictation! It's very useful to know the special vocabulary, but not from your english teacher I suppose.
and also I can't imagine my intelligent, well-mannered middle-aged english teacher talking these words out loud!
otherwise danyet could teach you something! :?:
Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Teachers should teach taboo words

Postby marili » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:28 am

Of course they should! May be somebody is :oops: but all words are necessary to be understood.
marili

Postby MissLT » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:43 pm

Tora wrote:I doubt... I guess taboo words are times more interesting to learn on your own(mostly from movies) than write them down during your lectures and then to be given a word dictation! It's very useful to know the special vocabulary, but not from your english teacher I suppose.

I'm with you on this one. Even in your own language you don't see teachers teach the new cussed words to students who don't know them; therefore, why should it be a difference for foreign languages??? Also, people say ignorance is bliss. What you don't know won't hurt you. Those are just words after all; they're not invisible flying knives that could kill you if you don't cussed words to throw back at your opponent. :lol:
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Tora » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:11 pm

LennyeTran wrote:people say ignorance is bliss. What you don't know won't hurt you. Those are just words after all; they're not invisible flying knives that could kill you if you don't cussed words to throw back at your opponent. :lol:

A very good statement!
Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Hardi » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:25 pm

No question. Foreign language teachers must teach everything, counting taboo words, especially taboo ones... Maybe not in ground school, but...
Hardi
Rough Diamond Member

Postby MissLT » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:23 am

It's not appropriate for the decorums of a classroom.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Hardi » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:07 am

Isn't that just snobbish. It's a part of education, your education cant be complete if you make one part of it as taboo. Actually how you define taboo? It's something that is agreed upon as not to use, but there are many different groups of peoples who have different taboo..

Anyway if watching american police mowies then seems that example ~ is a regular word that every policeman must use if arrest someone. Well I would like to know how taboo it is for a american to use that word, how bad it is to use for a people from uk... Is there a difference. If translated it into estonian it's too bad I would not use it..

btw. One estonian language teacher we had in school, told once to a boy from my class, when we learned difference of nouns and verbs "you surely wrote ***!" (*** is noun, we was had to write verbs) that was really inappropriate for a teacher. But such harassment was typical for a soviet teacher. They had not allowed to beat, so they just taunt very badly. Of course some girls was tell to director, but what use of that. Do that teacher had courage to tell "yes I told it", certainly not.

-------
PS. those taboo words are only disgusting to hear, not to say. I haven't seen that someone have problem to eat with that mouth at latter.. at least so far (s)he know the exact meaning of words (s)he using.
PS.PS. I mean those word's are only then disgusting when others using them not your self.
Hardi
Rough Diamond Member

Postby MissLT » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:51 pm

Hardi wrote:Isn't that just snobbish. It's a part of education, your education cant be complete if you make one part of it as taboo. Actually how you define taboo? It's something that is agreed upon as not to use, but there are many different groups of peoples who have different taboo..

I don't think cussed words are taboo; I see them as uneducated words. I mean, do we really need to know them to know all aspects of life? Is there a need to use them? Hence, is there a need to learn something that won't help our education at all? I mean, instead of spending time to teach more vocabulary words that are useful to students's education, teachers have to spend time to teach those words and what's the use? Just to know how to cuss? No, thanks. I'll pass. If they wanted to know, do it on their own time. With the "help" of television, movies, Internet, they'll know those on their own just fine.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Next

Return to Talking Point Discussion