EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

About Bible

Post or ask for ideas and opinions about different subjects here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

About Bible

Postby nancycumt » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:11 am

have you read Bible!Lots of people think Bible is the best classic work.It includes all human qualities.I only read a little about Bible .what do you think of Bible? thank you very much.
nancycumt
Silver Member

Re: About Bible .

Postby byron » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:09 pm

nancycumt wrote:have you read Bible!Lots of people think Bible is the best classic work.It includes all human qualities.I only read a little about Bible .what do you think of Bible? thank you very much.

The Bible is in two parts. The Old Testament which is Jewish and pre-dates Jesus and the New Testament which post dates Jesus. Then there is the Koran which incorporates some of both and post dates Mohammed.
In English society it is said that there are two things you never discuss in a Pub (Bar) one is religion the other is politics.
byron
Gold Member

Thank you !

Postby nancycumt » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:47 pm

Thank your answer ! This summer holiday i will read the whole book.I will share my opinion with you!Thank you again!
nancycumt
Silver Member

Postby chiemdu » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:25 am

as a catholic, i have read the Bible many times. i don't think a summer holiday a enough and specific time for you to read the whole book because it takes a lot time to figure out what exactly God is driving at. i can ensure you that.
Reading the Bible is not for fun but for humanity. Only by that way can you understand fully what it's about.
that's just my opinion, what do u think?
chiemdu
Gold Member

Postby Oriani » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:20 pm

Well.. Hello guys.. I really like this topic.. I'm a Catholic girl and of Course and Read The Holy Bible and I can say that it has helped me a lot.. But talking about these topics it's kind of delicate..!!!
Oriani
Miss EnglishClub.com 2007
Miss EnglishClub.com 2007

Postby illusion » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:29 pm

I'm also a catholic but I don't really read the Bible. I've read it a few times when I was younger but now I just don't do it. I guess I should get back to it sometime because it contains a lot of wise stuff.
illusion
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Danyet » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:10 pm

illusion wrote:I'm also a catholic but I don't really read the Bible.
Then you are probably a Catholic but not a Christian.
It is up to you to study scripture......not your priest!
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby Danyet » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:30 pm

byron wrote:The Bible is in two parts. The Old Testament which is Jewish and pre-dates Jesus and the New Testament which post dates Jesus.

It is not accurate to call The Old Testament "Jewish". The old Testament covers the history of humankind from the Creation to the rebuilding of the Temple in Jerusalem. Seen through the eyes of Hebrew people. The "JEWS" are only what is left of the Israelites. There were 12 tribes but the 10 tribes of the northern regions of Israel were taken captive by Assyrrians leaving only the tribe of Judah and Benjamin who are now referred to as the "Jews". It is important to make this distinction in order to fully understand prophecy for the future and past.

byron wrote: Then there is the Koran which incorporates some of both and post dates Mohammed.

The koran has nothing at all to do with the Bible. The Koran contradicts the Bible and was written by a mass murderer and his scribes, Mohammed. It was written some 600 years after the life of Jesus.
Danyet
Keeper of the Board
Keeper of the Board

Postby MissLT » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:34 am

danyet wrote:
illusion wrote:I'm also a catholic but I don't really read the Bible.
Then you are probably a Catholic but not a Christian.
It is up to you to study scripture......not your priest!

Catholics are Christians in a sense. You all believe in Jesus Christ.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby MissLT » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:36 am

danyet wrote:
byron wrote:The Bible is in two parts. The Old Testament which is Jewish and pre-dates Jesus and the New Testament which post dates Jesus.

It is not accurate to call The Old Testament "Jewish". The old Testament covers the history of humankind from the Creation to the rebuilding of the Temple in Jerusalem. Seen through the eyes of Hebrew people. The "JEWS" are only what is left of the Israelites. There were 12 tribes but the 10 tribes of the northern regions of Israel were taken captive by Assyrrians leaving only the tribe of Judah and Benjamin who are now referred to as the "Jews". It is important to make this distinction in order to fully understand prophecy for the future and past.

This is exactly what he meant by the Jewish part. Jewish people still wait for their savior.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Next

Return to Ideas and Opinions