EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Prefer extended family?

Post or ask for ideas and opinions about different subjects here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Postby Dixie » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:40 pm

I guess it's because both my bf and I are so fed up with our families that we want them far away :D No, this kind of thing isn't usual here. When people get married, they start their own family away from their parents.
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Distance creates beauty

Postby limpopo » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:31 pm

Distance creates beauty--prefer living alone! But, keep in touch with your parents--shoulder your responsibility!

Popo
limpopo

Postby tigerlover » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:42 am

Hi, i just joined this forum. I like to discuss about family. I see many "westerner" (is it correct word to descibe people from west part of the globe?)don't like to stay with their parents even before they got married. I'm from the east part of the globe and I love my family very much. If I ever had a chance to study and work in my hometown, i surely stayed with my parents. I've been staying out since my college day until now, about 16 years now. But I'll go back to visit them during the break. I miss them terribly now that they were gone. After my father passed away i didn't feel lonely cause I still have mum but after she died 3 months ago, oh! no... she didn't get a chance to see my new house. I felt great loss cause I was quite close to my mum.

I think the way I was brought up is the reason why I want to stay with my family. I don't have my own room until I went to school. I was sleeping with them everyday and always feel their warm touch and love. This makes my world dull if I don't see their face for a day. I got homesick the first day I went to college :D

Now I'm living alone. But I prefer to live with my own family after married. Well, I guess every family have their own rules and I don't want my parents (in-law)to ruin them though I could get their advice to build my own happy family.

By the way, I'm not married yet :D
tigerlover

Postby Dixie » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:46 am

tigerlover wrote:Hi, i just joined this forum. I like to discuss about family. I see many "westerner" (is it correct word to descibe people from west part of the globe?)don't like to stay with their parents even before they got married. I'm from the east part of the globe and I love my family very much. If I ever had a chance to study and work in my hometown, i surely stayed with my parents. I've been staying out since my college day until now, about 16 years now. But I'll go back to visit them during the break. I miss them terribly now that they were gone. After my father passed away i didn't feel lonely cause I still have mum but after she died 3 months ago, oh! no... she didn't get a chance to see my new house. I felt great loss cause I was quite close to my mum.

I think the way I was brought up is the reason why I want to stay with my family. I don't have my own room until I went to school. I was sleeping with them everyday and always feel their warm touch and love. This makes my world dull if I don't see their face for a day. I got homesick the first day I went to college :D

Now I'm living alone. But I prefer to live with my own family after married. Well, I guess every family have their own rules and I don't want my parents (in-law)to ruin them though I could get their advice to build my own happy family.

By the way, I'm not married yet :D

Welcome, tigerlover!

I'm sorry to hear about your parents. May I ask how old you are?

I see you were brought up in a way in which you were very close to your parents. It's been different for me... Yes they love us all very much and all... but they are too protective, and too conservative for my taste, that in the end you get sick of being around them all day and want to take a breath, if you know what I mean.
Dixie

Postby tigerlover » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:25 am

Thank you. I'm 34 now. I'm the 11th out of 12th siblings. 3 of us were died and now we're 9.

Seems that you have a hard time facing your "protective and conservative" parents. If I were you, i'll definitely make the same decision as well. I guess I was so lucky to have a very understanding parents. They taught me everything, from religion to sosial. They treated me as a child and friend and the best part I like was they gave me a whole freedom to choose my own life. They always support my decision, whatever it was, Of course with some discussion over that thing. Now that makes me miss them :cry:

Can you tell me how's your life living alone/with friends. Do you pay a call on them sometimes?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
tigerlover

Postby eman » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:54 am

i have already a big family :) ,,have five brothers and six sister and i live with two brothers and four sisters with my parents...its lovely to live with big family ,u can share with them yr ideas and if u sick or have problem they be next to u,we love each other..

most arabic families like my family...they like to have big family

but if i will get marry i will live in my new house but my house should be close to my parents house... :wink:

its my condition :wink:

i prefer to have maybe three or five childern

cool
eman
Gold Member

Postby MissLT » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:32 am

eman wrote:

i prefer to have maybe three or five childern

cool

Why not two or four but three or five? You like odd numbers or something? :?
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby eman » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:20 am

hi my firend LennyeTran

maybe i like odd number

i just shoosed these number like that

:wink:
eman
Gold Member

Postby Dixie » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:13 am

tigerlover wrote:Can you tell me how's your life living alone/with friends. Do you pay a call on them sometimes?

To live with friends is a completely different world :D I lived away from my parents for six years (5 in college and one more last year, when I moved to the capital for work) and I really miss my college days. I made really good friends there (they are from my area and we still get together on the weekends) and had lots of fun. So I lived on my own for 6 years and I came back home a year ago... and well living with your folks' is great because you don't have to pay for anything and you live like a king/queen but I miss my freedom and my independence. I am looking forward to moving in with my bf now but we don't have any money so we'll just have to wait.
Dixie

Postby FIVER » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:58 pm

I don't think living with an extended family is so bad if there aren't a lot of people other than the parents. When my brother got married, his wife moved in with my family. Now it's my mom, three sisters and two brothers plus his wife and their one year old daughter. It really depends on the house too. If it's spacious then it could be a good living condition. That kind of family can be fun too. Although I liked living with them for a month, I prefer living alone or with less people.
FIVER
Platinum Member

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas and Opinions