EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

How old were you when you first tried to learn how to read?

Talk about books and writers here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Postby MissLT » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:09 pm

maryann wrote:By the way, how old were you when you read a novel for the first time? ;)

When I was 11.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Re: How old were you when you first tried to learn how to re

Postby illusion » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:54 pm

LennyeTran wrote:I tried it when I was four.

Me too and I remember that it didn't last too long as I was able to read quite soon. I have always loved books. When I was little I would sleep with them in my bed and then read after waking up :)
illusion
Rough Diamond Member

Re: How old were you when you first tried to learn how to re

Postby Dixie » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:03 pm

illusion wrote:Me too and I remember that it didn't last too long as I was able to read quite soon. I have always loved books. When I was little I would sleep with them in my bed and then read after waking up :)

I used to do that, too!!!
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby MissLT » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:19 am

So did I. I used to carry the English children textbook my sister had around the house. Late at night, I would ask my uncle to read it to me. I never got tired of it since I was amazed by the strange sounds my uncle made.

I still go to sleep with books on my bed, by the way. :oops:
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby jakeson » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:31 pm

Lemme think...hmm, I guess, I was four when I started reading, at least, the ABCs. I can clearly recall I started reading encyclopedia when I was still 9. That was 19 years ago! :D
jakeson
Silver Member

Postby maryann » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:25 am

I read the first novel when I were 9. That novel was "Uncle Tom's cabin" (in vietnamese, of course)by Harriet Beecher Stowe. I cried so much during the time I read it.
maryann

Postby Dixie » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:40 am

maryann wrote:I read the first novel when I were 9. That novel was "Uncle Tom's cabin" (in vietnamese, of course)by Harriet Beecher Stowe. I cried so much during the time I read it.

A classic in American Literature. I have never read it though (YET!!!)
Dixie

Postby Oriani » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:15 pm

Well.. My dad began to teach me how to read Spanish at 4 and at the age of 7 I already knew how to read Spanish and English( I'm still studying for this last langauge)!! And novel?? a Venezuelan one called " Doña Barbara" at age of 10!! I've learned plenty of vocabulary reading.. That gives you food for thought :P
Oriani
Miss EnglishClub.com 2007
Miss EnglishClub.com 2007

Postby Tora » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:26 pm

maryann wrote:I read the first novel when I were 9. That novel was "Uncle Tom's cabin" (in vietnamese, of course)by Harriet Beecher Stowe. I cried so much during the time I read it.

I also read it during my young years! A very nice beginning of reading! I don't remember me crying, but I recollect in my mind I liked it :roll:
Tora
Rough Diamond Member

Postby wanzhen » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:56 am

I went to school when I was 5.Maybe the next year,I began to read some fables or small stories.And reading becomes to one of my favorite hobbies from that time.But in that period I have few books to read except my school books.So my most reading books were borrowed from other people....

Although I have few books but I read much more than other people.
wanzhen

PreviousNext

Return to Books & Authors