EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

English teachers should teach taboo words to students.

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Postby Usama » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:58 pm

LennyeTran wrote:
Hardi wrote:Isn't that just snobbish. It's a part of education, your education cant be complete if you make one part of it as taboo. Actually how you define taboo? It's something that is agreed upon as not to use, but there are many different groups of peoples who have different taboo..

I don't think cussed words are taboo; I see them as uneducated words.

I am with.
Usama
Silver Member

Postby Nawas » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:17 pm

I am with other member .The taboo words is a bad lanugage and the people should avoid that kind of waste.Also, the teacher must don't give the students this type of bad language.In addition,taboo words don't consider as knowledge.
Nawas

Postby Jaime » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:08 am

I guess you can hardly say what is really bad language. I mean, we use language to communicate with other people so I don't see how come that knowing less vocabulary can help you to express yourself better. I do not think there such thing as synonyms. Two words, no matter how close in meaning they are, have always differents nuances, haven't they?
Jaime

Postby Dixie » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:52 am

Jaime wrote:II do not think there such thing as synonyms. Two words, no matter how close in meaning they are, have always differents nuances, haven't they?

Exactly! There's no such thing as complete synonyms.
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby subway » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:48 am

why not ?
i think a students have to know and also they should not use.
as you know, many movies show kind of those words untill became common.
subway

Postby illusion » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:49 pm

It wouldn't kill if my teacher taught us in class some abusive language in English. At least we would know if someone from a foreign country is calling our names. I guess it's not right but even though in my class everyone knew most of the cussed words and I had to leave class a few times because I forgot we weren't allowed to use them.
illusion
Rough Diamond Member

Postby Seafarer » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:59 am

I have just begun teaching.First i think to teach my students some basic words..later on i will think about taboo words like boobies :twisted:
Last edited by Seafarer on Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seafarer
Gold Member

Postby Dixie » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:08 am

I think that teaching a swearword from time to time can't hurt anybody and would make the students interested :lol:
Dixie

Postby shokin » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:24 pm

Humour is necessary.

Let us break the taboo !

Things which are taboos are in collective unconsciousness. When it stays in too much time, it can explode dangerously.

Shokin
shokin
Polished Diamond Member

Postby jeffcox » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:11 pm

Think about the reason for a four-letter word.

We use them to insult others - it's good to know when you're being insulted so that you can escape the situation peacefully. You don't have to use them yourself nor return them to the owner!

We also use them to emphasize an emotion - this is important to acheive an affect and get someone's attention. I personally do not swear, but on those rare occasions when it happens, people stop and look at me because they know that I'm frustrated or angry with something I'm doing badly.
jeffcox
Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion