Are strict anti-terror measures at airports effective?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

TalkingPoint
Teacher/Moderator
Teacher/Moderator

Are strict anti-terror measures at airports effective?

Post by TalkingPoint »

Introducing strict anti-terror security measures at airports is as effective as re-arranging the deckchairs on the Titanic: there will be a disaster soon anyway.

What do you think?
Last edited by TalkingPoint on Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jeffcox
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by jeffcox »

Such measures are necessary for a government to say that it has done all it can to prevent an attack. That does not mean that an attack will not happen.

Of course, few realize that preventing an attack also requires preventing the cause of an attack. Unfortunately, some governments believe that this done is by eliminating the attacker and not by neutralizing their reason for a terrorist attack.

Another aspect that I find interesting is that with all these security measures and new rules, hasn't the terrorist already made his point? I mean, we still fly, but we have so many problems in doing so. Terror relies on our fear and the confusion caused by an attack rather than on the attack in itself.
shadds

Re: Are strict anti-terror measures at airports effective?

Post by shadds »

TP wrote:Introducing strict anti-terror security measures at airports is as effective as re-arranging the deckchairs on the Titanic: there will be a disaster soon anyway.

What do you think?
i think that strict security measures are effective only till the attacker fears his prosecution and death. the one who has no fear of own death cannot be stopped. they are Suicide Bombers...
pencil

Post by pencil »

shadds wrote:
TP wrote:Introducing strict anti-terror security measures at airports is as effective as re-arranging the deckchairs on the Titanic: there will be a disaster soon anyway.

What do you think?
i think that strict security measures are effective only till the attacker fears his prosecution and death. the one who has no fear of own death cannot be stopped. they are Suicide Bombers...
personally i believe everyone wants to live his own happy life, he lives because he has his family, his children, his love...
but once his respect, his benefits... or to what extent, his country is occupied, hurted, he must stand up and fight against those he considers as enemy. and then nobody can stem him to get a bomber gone off. all the measures security forces aply are secondary. about this point i completely agree with shadds.
i am always against those who kill innocent residents

i wish from now we dont hear about some people in Irag or anywhere else killed by conscienceless bombers.
frengo
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by frengo »

I think they are quite ineffective... since those measures are applied by people that often do not have a suitable skill level, resulting in a globally low accuracy.
Just an example:
two months ago, I was going to fly home, taking my laptop computer with me. At the pre-boarding gate, they stopped me in order to check if my laptop was actually a computer and not, say, a bomb packaged in a computer-like case. This is the rule, and it makes sense... the bad thing was HOW they performed the check. Simply, they asked me to turn on the computer, just to see if it was functioning! Well, I know at least a dozen of ways to fool them, having a working PC AND a bomb in the same box... and I'm sure terrorists have the same knowledge... I was very disappointed.
Stoned

Post by Stoned »

Hope one day people will learn to live together, and all terror groups like Taliban, who try to stop modern cultures grow, or PKK Kurdish child killers, who try to create a new country and name it Kurdistan by dividing and taking over others will be history. Killing innocent civilians is a crime against humanity. We will never allow them succeed.