Four reported dead in Montreal college shooting

Let others know the latest news, or discuss it with them.

Moderator: EC

shokin
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Four reported dead in Montreal college shooting

Post by shokin »

By Robert Melnbardis

MONTREAL (Reuters) - At least one gunman dressed in a black trenchcoat opened fire in a downtown Montreal college on Wednesday, and early reports said four people had died.

Students fled in panic from the building, and eyewitnesses reported blood on its entry steps, and inside the cafeteria where many of the shots were fired.

"It was the most scary thing that has ever happened to me," student Michael Boyer told CBC Television. "We ran out of the building as a SWAT team was coming in. They were screaming 'Where is he? Where is he?' And when you have 20 police running at you with guns you really know that your life is in danger."

Hospital officials told local television stations that 12 people had been injured, and six were in critical condition.

RDI Television quoted unofficial sources as saying that one gunman had turned his weapon on himself and committed suicide, while a second had been shot and killed by police. This could not be confirmed, and some police officers at the scene said they suspected there was only a lone gunman.

"A suspect has been neutralized, which means he is not shooting any more," said Ian LaFreniere, a police spokesman.

The shooting took place in and around Dawson College, a school with some 10,000 students between the ages of 16 and 19 in the heart of Montreal, Canada's second biggest city.

It triggered memories of the 1989 massacre at the Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal, where a gunman killed 14 women before killing himself, as well as of the 1999 Columbine massacre in Colorado, where two teenagers killed 12 other students and a teacher before killing themselves.

The Ecole Polytechnique gunman, Marc Lepine, 25, left behind a three-page letter claiming that feminists had ruined his life and naming 19 high profile Quebec women he wanted to kill.

Robert Soroka, a professor at Dawson College, told Reuters he was in his fourth floor office when heard shots being fired. He immediately ran down the hall and told teachers to keep their students in classrooms and close the doors.

"This could have been a very bad situation, if it had happened five minutes later when the students would have been exiting their classrooms during the changeover," he said.

Soroka said the shooting began at 12:45 and shots continued to be fired for about 30 minutes. He said he heard at least 20 shots.
Source

:shock: I hope none of my friends were killed. :shock:

Shokin
eman
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by eman »

so sad :cry:
i'm sorry for that,.its almost happening every year in their school which is sometimes because of their life or their study or something had effect on them
they killed insent people....so sad
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

Ali Hussein -- student

He was pointing the gun at the top of the stairs because he saw people running up the stairs and then he shot right at us and we all jumped and ran the other way.

He almost hit me by an inch. He hit the wall and a piece of the wall chipped and fell on the floor.

I thought it was a fake gun at first, I thought the gun was joking around and then I saw a lady lying on the floor and she was bleeding all over ... and then I knew it was for real. That's when I got my stuff and started running the other way.

Cecilia Katan - student

I'm a student at Dawson, and I was just getting out of class when it all started. I wanted to head downstairs, but noone was moving. I heard someone say 'I think someone has a gun!'

I couldn't believe that this could be happening, so I kept looking down the short flight of stairs and saw people crawling on the floor, trying to get around a corner.

Then I saw a man crawling backwards, holding a girl (who I now believe might have been wounded). Just then, I heard three gunshots, and everyone started to run, screaming.

I followed the crowd down an emergency staircase, and all I could think of was to get away from the school.

I had the image of the students I saw crawling and those cramped behind the corner with such terrified looks on their faces. It was so traumatizing... the scene kept repeating in my head, and my heart was going crazy.

Ryan George - student

I'm a student at Dawson. I was just coming out of class on the fourth floor when I saw everyone running to the emergency exit. People were yelling "Someone got shot!"We ran out of the school and there was a huge crowd outside the school. There was a guy sitting on the curb and he was bleeding from the stomach and some police were helping him out.

The look on his face was just shocked.

Robert Soroka -- teacher Dawson College

At a quarter to one I was in my office, preparing for class and I heard shots. I looked out the window and saw a police officer with his firearm drawn.

I proceeded to go down the hallway with a couple of other teachers and basically what we did was try to keep students in the classrooms.

As time progressed we heard more shots ringing out and it was always multiple shots, it was never just one or two, it was several shots. And we just told everybody stay in the room.

From my office I saw the police officers working on an injured person and basically a lot of running around.

The shots seemed to be from the second-floor atrium area. From what I've heard from eyewitnesses, from the students that where it happened.

We saw somebody shot in the neck. We saw a couple of people being taken away but we don't really know anything.

Michel Boyer - Student

I saw the gunman who was dressed in black and at that time he was shooting at people. I immediately hit the floor. It was probably one of the most frightening moments of my life.

He was shooting randomly, I didn't know what he was shooting at, but everyone was screaming get out of the building.

I'm 19 years old and to have everybody that you love flash before you in that single moment thinking that you're going to get shot creates a ripple effect and you feel it in your heart and your ears are just ringing.

Words cannot describe the emotion that you are going through.

Everybody was in tears. Everybody was so worried for their own safety for their own lives.
Danyet
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Danyet »

The murderer may have been a neo-nazi. (Just a guess from his description and the circumstances) A girl was at the front doors of the building
having a cigarette and saw the shooter. He was wearing camouflage pants and a Mohawk with multiple piercings.
The cafeteria where the shooting took place is known as "Jew cafe". I am sure there will be a media black out on the jew hate aspect of the shooting.

Another interesting yet ironic fact is that the police were right there at the scene of the shooting at the time it occurred because they were busy busting people smoking cigarettes too close to a building entrance.

More about the massacre in Montreal seventeen years ago.

On Nov. 21 1989 Marc Lepine entered a classroom in the École Polytechnique de Montréal. He told the men to leave and proceeded to kill the women - 14 women were killed, with an additional 12 men and women injured.

This brought the gun control lobby to the forefront of Canadian consciousness. If we banned guns, things like this wouldn't happen.
What the media didn't tell us was that Marc Lepine's birth name was Gamil Gharbi, and that he was the son of an Algerian Muslim immigrant Liess Gharbi.

His friends recounted that before the mass murder Marc Lepine became very religious (Islamic).

He compiled a hit list of 19 high profile Quebec women he planned to kill. He hated "feminists".

Somehow I don't think the root cause of the Montreal massacre was Marc Lepine's access to guns.

Gun control laws result in just the criminals being armed with no opportunity for law abiding citizens to defend themselves!
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Shazzam »

I read this this morning and was horrified; what no one noticed what a physco this dude was?

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=144801
Admiral

Post by Admiral »

I don't know what to say...
I'm very sorry for the students. Imagine such a thing happens at your school!