Who is responsible for motivating students?

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

TalkingPoint
Teacher/Moderator
Teacher/Moderator

Who is responsible for motivating students?

Post by TalkingPoint »

Is the teacher responsible for motivating students to study? Or is it each student's own responsibility to be interested in learning?

What do YOU think?
Last edited by TalkingPoint on Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
greg

responsible????

Post by greg »

Never,never,never science starting school teacher haven't been responsible of students. That is my own opinion.
tina

motivating students

Post by tina »

motivating is a two- way issue
firstly the teacher has to be a motivating factor in her classroom ;she has to master her subject matter ,and know how to impact this across to students in a manner that would get interested in learning the language
Mobeen Shah

Motivation to learn

Post by Mobeen Shah »

We as teachers of English Language are receiving students who are willing to learn English. First its our responsibility to create interest of these students to enter the language learning class, and then, generate the enthusiasm in them to continue staying in it till they have achieved what they came for.

Its like acquiring something (Student) because we (teachers) are there and then the responsibility to nurture because we have the tricks of trade-the motivation. Futher, to enhance my point of view, I would still quote the example of perenting, once you have children you have the responsibility of bringing up the best of children. You show and display the way of good parents and the children follow- if they do not know the charms of being good children they will be drifted away.

So the students have already taken the decision to learn the language.we as teachers have the rest of the responsibility to hold them till they have achieved enough to stick to it.
rr

Post by rr »

teachers
jwr1919

Post by jwr1919 »

In my opinion,teachers should be responsible to thier students when in the low grade school.
Lynne

Me - responsible for motivating students? Yeah sure!

Post by Lynne »

As a business English 'trainer'. I only teach adults and I always start my first lesson by telling the students I am not there to teach them English. :!:

The look on their faces is great! :shock:

I then tell them that as they are there to learn English I am more than happy to help them do that. :wink:

You can take the ESL learner to the teacher, but you can't make them learn! :)

Visit me
costadina23@yahoo.com

motivation

Post by costadina23@yahoo.com »

I believe that the teacher has to be able to motivate the students. Most students come to English classes because their parents make them. The teacher has to create an interest in the subject so that they want to learn. Otherwise they lose interest. :D
xiangyan

responsible

Post by xiangyan »

I think the responsible is the basic character of person quality is not only in child but also in adult
tracy

Post by tracy »

The teacher is responsible for motivating his/her students but that really depends on the student. That is, if he/she is willing to learn.
george T

motivation

Post by george T »

Once a teacher told me that learning English was 90% students' motivation. That's what I tell my students to keep in mind now.
phrd@camnet,com.kh

Re: Motivation to learn

Post by phrd@camnet,com.kh »

Mobeen Shah wrote:We as teachers of English Language are receiving students who are willing to learn English. First its our responsibility to create interest of these students to enter the language learning class, and then, generate the enthusiasm in them to continue staying in it till they have achieved what they came for.

Its like acquiring something (Student) because we (teachers) are there and then the responsibility to nurture because we have the tricks of trade-the motivation. Futher, to enhance my point of view, I would still quote the example of perenting, once you have children you have the responsibility of bringing up the best of children. You show and display the way of good parents and the children follow- if they do not know the charms of being good children they will be drifted away.

So the students have already taken the decision to learn the language.we as teachers have the rest of the responsibility to hold them till they have achieved enough to stick to it.
:lol:
GiddyGad

Post by GiddyGad »

It sure is the responsibility of a teacher to teach a student to take the responsibility for what he does to master a language. Here comes a natural question "How?"... There are ways... :roll:
Maryam

Post by Maryam »

Both of them r responsibles.But if there is a will the student will learn even the teacher is not good.
GiddyGad

Post by GiddyGad »

A language can't be learnt without a teacher.
Firstly, someone should push the student ahead (and the pushing must be finely measured, which a comp being a digital, not analogous, system can't do).
Secondly, a teacher mirrors the work of a student. A good teacher knows HOW to mirror student's actions in order to show him the right way to do the right job. A student must be a very good teacher to know at least some of the subwater obstacles on that way.
Last edited by GiddyGad on Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maryam

Post by Maryam »

Hi

Thte teacher could be a book,film,song ,CD,English sites and adictionary.
so learning English depends on the students nowadays morthan teachers.
GiddyGad

Post by GiddyGad »

Fare thee well then.
mehran

Post by mehran »

i think this is a task which is more related to the teachers.because as you know some students are obliged to go to school(by their parents or situation).
i'm a college student at TMU, tehran.l'd like to communicate with any everybody interested in english, sports, culture, politics,...
Ayda

Post by Ayda »

HI all,
I believe that the first step is from the student. Because if the student is interested in learning the language he/she will find other way to do it if the teacher is not a motivate one. However, I also believe that teacher has a great role to motivate their student to learn more. Because sometimes you become disappointed, but if you got a motivated teacher he/ she will encourage you and will help you go on.
Regards,
A . A
coolguy

Post by coolguy »

As a human beings, every student has the desire to learn something .However, sometimes unproper teaching methods kill this desire.Teachers are responsible for movitating students' intrests. It makes a successful teacher.

Post by Guest »

As a teacher, he/she should motivate his/her students to study well. It doesn't have to be English. Learning is gaining one's knowledge, so it's good to learn. He/she should help the students to understand that point; however, I don't think the teachers are responsible for their students's failure if they've already tried their best to help the students. Some students are not willing to learn. It's their business to choose that way. We can't blame everything on the teachers
Arale
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Arale »

Is the teacher responsible for motivating students to study? Or is it each student's own responsibility to be interested in learning?
I think teacher should be responsible for motivating students to study.Students themselves decide their own result,however.No one could help them except themselves.Students are the center of teaching activity,in which the teacher is just a guider.In my country,there are so many students in a class so the teacher could not control all students in the class.A good teacher will help students find the best way of learning.

_Arale_
Pirate
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Pirate »

The teacher. But if the teacher doesn't care, the student suffers!
Rodrigo Klassen

Post by Rodrigo Klassen »

i think it depends on the teachers and the students in different forms. teachers just can't make their classes boring, without a real meaning or intention but students must be ready to learn always...
there's no space here to write everything i wanted
GiddyGad
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by GiddyGad »

There's a joke about a student who comes up to a teacher and says: 'I'm not gonna do anything... nor am I gonna come to classes but I pay the money for being taught so in the end I must know everything.' ... :?

The ability to motivate students reflects the level of a teacher's professionalism, it goes without saying. But in the long run it's students who are to acquire the knowledge of the subject being taught.

Responsibility is too a general word.
Resposibility in what? That's what makes all the difference.

Post by Guest »

GiddyGad wrote:There's a joke about a student who comes up to a teacher and says: 'I'm not gonna do anything... nor am I gonna come to classes but I pay the money for being taught so in the end I must know everything.' ... :?
It's similiar to "I paid for the course so you must let me pass." :roll:

Post by Guest »

GiddyGad wrote: The ability to motivate students reflects the level of a teacher's professionalism, it goes without saying. But in the long run it's students who are to acquire the knowledge of the subject being taught.

Responsibility is too a general word.
Resposibility in what? That's what makes all the difference.
So wise and so true. 8) <---- this is for you.
authorityquery
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by authorityquery »

I think each student should be responsible for studying, We know we learn for ourslves, so why another person have to be responsible for our study. It's a bad way.
But The teacher is the person who has to show the student how to study or research, teacher's task just makes student feel interested in the subject.
Thanks.
MTV i like most wanted
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Motivating students:

Post by Shazzam »

I think this is very much age determined! Younger students would need more motivation from teachers and parents (or support networks). As they progress the study principles should be starting to gel. I must admit I had a giggle at
I paid for the course so you should help me pass it.
Older students would definately feel that way. ;)

The motivation usually comes from interest in the undertaken topic in teenagers.

Re: Motivating students:

Post by Guest »

shazzam1452 wrote:I think this is very much age determined! Younger students would need more motivation from teachers and parents (or support networks). As they progress the study principles should be starting to gel. I must admit I had a giggle at
I paid for the course so you should help me pass it.
Older students would definately feel that way. ;)

The motivation usually comes from interest in the undertaken topic in teenagers.
Oh not only old students. Younger students have that feeling, too. They think all they have to do is pay the course and they'll pass it. Some people still think knowledge can be bought. What a joke! :roll:
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Motivating students:

Post by Shazzam »

Oh not only old students. Younger students have that feeling, too. They think all they have to do is pay the course and they'll pass it. Some people still think knowledge can be bought. What a joke! :roll:[/quote]

I meant younger students as in (5-10 years). They don't pay for courses.
Anin

Anin

Post by Anin »

In my view,
both teachers and students are responsible for the motivation. :!:
One-side motivation cannot work.
Students should see how many things the particular subject enables them to do, what are the benefits of studying it.
Teachers should encourage them, especially the best students. Maybe it sounds strange but I know what I am talking about. I am the one of the best students in our class. But I hate English lessons in our school. Our teacher is paying her attention almost always to the worst students, while my level of English is getting worse because I suffer from the lack of training in. It s really horrible, therefore I suggest to divide the students into groups according to the level of their knowledge. Only this way their motivation can increase.
Hi I am 18 and I would like to change my opinions with you.
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Anin

Post by Shazzam »

Anin wrote:In my view,
both teachers and students are responsible for the motivation. :!:
One-side motivation cannot work.
But I hate English lessons in our school. Our teacher is paying her attention almost always to the worst students, while my level of English is getting worse because I suffer from the lack of training in. .
Don't give up if you aren't getting exactly what you need in class. Be MOTIVATED!! Try and find another source to enable you to obtain the level of learning that you are seeking. Extra courses etc!! 8)
GiddyGad
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Anin

Post by GiddyGad »

Anin wrote:...Our teacher is paying her attention almost always to the worst students...
You have all my sympathy... but your teacher is 100% right here. Those who need help should get it. You are good at English, so you can help yourself.

We aren't born equal and we mustn't have equal possibilities. That's where justice contradicts equality. American principles just don't work. Moreover, they rot the world community...

Smiles,
GiddyGad
slashworld

Post by slashworld »

Arale wrote:
I think teacher should be responsible for motivating students to study.Students themselves decide their own result,however.No one could help them except themselves.Students are the center of teaching activity,in which the teacher is just a guider.In my country,there are so many students in a class so the teacher could not control all students in the class.A good teacher will help students find the best way of learning.

_Arale_
We have to admit that after all many students pay more attention to other things except learning, though their teachers have tried them best to motivate these students.that is human nature, some people will sucess by himself hard working. and some people will pay the cost for his waste of study times.So teacher being responsible for the motivation just is not enough, student's self-discipline and study interesting are more important than other factors.
iris198783

Post by iris198783 »

It seems that many people think that teacher should be the one who is responsible for motivating the students. From my point of view, i think students should motivate themselves. It is no use even if they do not have the motivation to work hard. It is true that for some young students, they can rarely motivate themselves, in this case, i think parents should try to motivate their children to work hard by giving some gifts if their children get good results.
leen@rasel
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by leen@rasel »

i believe that if the child was not motivated from the begining it will be a little bit hard to motivate him or her when he or she is older teachers are not resposible alone for motivating students parents share them this responsibility and i believe that not only students of low marks should be motivated but also those of good ones ,we should motivate them continueosly because they may loose this motivation one day especially if they were counting on teachers only or on parents only we should encourage them to get not only the higher marks but also the more iformation and knoledge
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Shazzam »

iris198783 wrote:It seems that many people think that teacher should be the one who is responsible for motivating the students. From my point of view, i think students should motivate themselves. It is no use even if they do not have the motivation to work hard. It is true that for some young students, they can rarely motivate themselves, in this case, i think parents should try to motivate their children to work hard by giving some gifts if their children get good results.
Maybe the word that should be used here is INSPIRE; i think inspiration is something that is needed in learning. Just an :idea:
GiddyGad
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by GiddyGad »

Being able to inspire is an add-on, good for any professional, any wise person, unless the one who is inspired awaits (and relies on) being inspired. We all depend on circumstances (even our biology depends on parents... or the Lord's will). But even God expects us to display our own will, our own move, our own deed.

Smiles,
GiddyGad
Etore
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Etore »

In my opinion, students have to be identified with teacher cause this situation facilitates the aprentice. It´s imperative that the students have interested to learn.
Etore
shokin
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by shokin »

We all have to be responsible, solidair, collectively and socially and environmentally conscious, respectuous and honest.

Shokin
Nous sommes libres. Wir sind frei. We are free. Somos libres. Siamo liberi.
meylenlau

Post by meylenlau »

At the tender age teachers tought us,
Alphabets,numerals, morals and others,
Teachers praised, rewarded us with little gifts or stars,
We felt happy and tended to learn more and fast,
Were they not called motivation?

lots of aspects must be considered during their lessons,
Various approaches and theories have to apply but not mention,
To attract pupils and and get their potency evolves without tension,
Different pupils with different characters and intelligence,
Do you think possible not to include motivation?

Motivation sometimes applies abstractly in teaching and learning,teacher initiates a challenge to create an atmosphere of competition amongst pupils is a motivation! Scrutinising the profession and understand more ,then one will realise the process of teaching and learning must be parallel with motivation.If you are a teacher you would agree with me.
desertman

Re: motivating students

Post by desertman »

tina wrote:motivating is a two- way issue
firstly the teacher has to be a motivating factor in her classroom ;she has to master her subject matter ,and know how to impact this across to students in a manner that would get interested in learning the language
well,that sounds right.
samanehkarga

Post by samanehkarga »

in my opinion teachers are responsible to motivate students if they are bad-tempered or they don't know the topic well students won't like the lessons so most important point is the teachers manner and the class situation
Archer

Post by Archer »

Not living in poverty, or a life of meanial labor type jobs.. it is up to the student to be motivated to learn, after all it is their life that will be effected by what they do and do not know, their life will be effected by what they can and can not do, all things must be learned, you can never know to much, but, it is rather easy to not know enough.

It is the teachers job to teach, the best teacher in the world can not teach someone who is unwilling to learn.. a good teacher will never allow any student to not understand the lesson being taught no matter what it takes to help that student to learn what it is they do not understand.

There is a old saying that still holds true.. never try to teach a pig to dance.. it annoys the pig, and wastes the teachers time.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Archer wrote: There is a old saying that still holds true.. never try to teach a pig to dance.. it annoys the pig, and wastes the teachers time.
:lol: Brilliant!
Thoughts

Post by Thoughts »

It is true to say that there are some important environments which have great deals in motivating students.Firstly, parent's care plays a good role to direct their student's mind & attitude to achieve any sought aim.Secondly, the school & its staff, especially the teacher himself.The successful teacher has great influence to prompt his student.What is essential here & which can be considered as the most important condition, is student's ambition & his desire to improve himself & get high level.Any student who is interested in this of coures will be abl to motivate & encourage himself by himsl far from any social,living &other environments in his life.
Seafarer
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Seafarer »

It is impossible to tell that only the teacher is responsible of motivating the students. I got lots of friends who weren't able to motivate themselves even if our poor teacher spent all her time to motivate them. The student should be willing to being motivated.
jeffcox
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by jeffcox »

A good teacher will do all they reasonably can to motivate students. But that's not always possible.

As Seafarer said, some students just don't work well in some groups. Some 'collections of students' never become 'a group' in the 'united' sense of the word.

And then again, I'm a teacher and NOT a babysitter. Many students make the mistake of thinking this. Sometimes I ask my students to bring things in to make the class more dynamic, and they don't even bother. I could bring in all the things myself, as the teacher, but I think that they need to take some responsibility for their group and for their own learning experience.