EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

Using games to teach English

Post or ask for ideas and opinions about different subjects here.

Moderators: Vega, EC

Using games to teach English

Postby minik » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:10 am

I have to prepare a thesis about using games in language classes.And I need to hear different opinions.please share your experiences and thoughts with me.thank you friends.
minik

Postby jeffcox » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:54 pm

I use games regularly in my classes; at least every second class has some kind of game or contest.

I use them mainly for motivation. Students need to feel that they will do something interesting in the classroom. They study at school all day and come to English class just to do more academic study? I don't think so!

They are also useful for the teacher to evaluate the students. How well have they learned the vocabulary or structures? Can they use it appropriately in the conversations?

There are also students that have different learning styles. I, for example, am a hands-on kind of guy, very kinetic; I learn through doing.

So, games can provide an alternative learning experience for those students who are more visual, interpersonal or kinetic.

Look up 'multiple intelligences' and 'Howard Gardner'
jeffcox
Gold Member

Postby minik » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:20 pm

thank you very very much jeffcox! I began to think that nobody's gonna replay.thanks for your contribution.
minik

Postby minik » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:41 pm

thank you very much lucia!While I was writing the message, I was thinking that nobody would care.but there is a good friendship in here.thanks again!
minik

Postby jeffcox » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:48 am

No problem, minik.

Do you have a line of thought for your thesis? Do you have any idea of the central themes and ideas to be included?
jeffcox
Gold Member

Postby minik » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:54 am

I've just started to prepare the draft which should be ready next week.but after then I'll start to study deeply.I'm planning to prepare a questionnaire for the teachers, and I'll participate some lessons, I'll observe students also play several games with them, thus I can state my own opinions.I'll focus on the changes in their approach (I mean what kind of games is best for their needs.)
thanks for your concern, jeffcox!
(thanks again for "multiple intelligences" and "Howard Gardner", it helps me a lot)
minik

Postby minik » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:25 am

may I ask you something Jeffcox?
***how do you present a game?please tell me how you explain the games to your students.(do you tell them the rules or you play first as an example?)

***And is there anything I should be careful about while playing?

thank you
minik

Postby jeffcox » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:56 pm

In my experience, the best games are those that require little instruction and explanation.

I usually have to explain the rules simply then explain them again while playing the game. Students understand the rules when they see how they apply to the game.

The first time I play a game, I consider it more as an introduction to the game. That is, I don't expect maximum results from it. The second time, they already know how it all works and can really go for results.

The most important thing is to play games the students like. I always ask my students if they liked the game.

I think you should also prepare a questionnaire for the students. What do they think of games, how much do games help them? Do games help their studies or do they help the class be more exciting? Which games did they like the most? Do they think games are important for study purposes?

It is very important to consider both the teachers' point of view and the students'.
jeffcox
Gold Member

Postby minik » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:00 am

thank you very much :!:
your advices and thoughts help me a lot.I'll add some new things and change several parts of my thesis according to your ideas.thanks for sharing your experience!
minik

Next

Return to Ideas and Opinions