Talk about books and writers here.

Moderator: EC

hereiam
Rising Star
Rising Star

your favourite literature-hero:)

Post by hereiam »

hello:)
This time I would like to ask you about your favourite literature hero.
I have been still reading "Pride and Prejudice" and in chapter 22 Mr. Collins proposed to Charlotte Lucas 3 days after proposing to Elisabeth Bennet (she rejected him).
I would like to say that Mr Collins isn't surely a favourite hero neither in this nor in any other book!
He is so pitiful!:(
Can Mr Darcy be really better? I doubt it so much!:(
express your opinions freely:)
hereiam:)
hereiam
Rising Star
Rising Star

silence today...

Post by hereiam »

...I am still at the beggining of chapter 23 and I would like tpo say "Mr Darcy is my favourite character" but I cannot somehow:(.
It makes me very sad. Everyone says - Mr Darcy this and Mr Darcy that and I am simply beginning TO HATE Mr. Darcy instead of liking this character... HELP!!!
:roll:
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

Mr Darcy is wondeful!!!! I love him!!!! Ahhhh *sighs* You'll see... :p
hereiam
Rising Star
Rising Star

Mr Darcy...hmmm...

Post by hereiam »

by now he is...invisible. I am at the beginning of chapter 27.
Charlotte Lucas have got already married and invited Elisabeth Bennet to visit her. She accepted this invitation. Probably to avoid the sight of her still irritated mother. So she will go soon. By the way - newcomers came to Netherfield in summer. Now we have a spring next year! Christams in the meantime and still no sign of life. Oh no - Jane was in London and met there Mr Bingley's sister who was very reluctant towards her.
Poor Elisabeth... still I can see only ONE REASON to care about Mr. Darcy . Though Elisabeth described Mr Collins as "conceited, pompous, nerrow-minded and silly" probably the same she should say about Darcy if she was sincere but...
Ok. What I love till now are all these words so frequently used by Jane Austin like AGREEABLE, CIVIL, AMIABLE, TOLARABLE, ELEGANT, INTELLIGENT, WELL-BRED.
I love these words!:)
And I have to notice that the longest journey that make-excluding mansions here and there and the most ...temptous is the one to London.
Ok I will see what will happen next:)
See you soon:)
hereiam
BOUKHATEM

Post by BOUKHATEM »

I think Hamlet the prince of Danemark is the best character never invented , altough he's a Prince he's vertued and the character in itself is very complicated .I like it
LadyMacbeth
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

hi:)

Post by LadyMacbeth »

well... I have to admit I forgot Hamlet a bit:(. I read it last time around high school times but nowadays... hmmm:(. Well.. but recently I am in the middle of a very nice detective story about one Scotland Yard Inspector James Hudson and insurance agent - Elvira Elliot. Together they are to solve mysterious theft of a priceless mummy of one of Egiptian pharaons in British Museum. I am in the middle of this English reader (level x) at the moment but I think my favourite character is Elvira Elliot.
Elvira is in her 30, handsome, good-looking woman who has both annual income and car twice as good as James Hudson has. She is bit nervous, drinks a lot of coffee and is red haired like her car.
Hahaha - what do you think about her as a favourite hero?;)
ps. It is worthy to mention that John Hudson has a house-keeper who cooks for him and cares for his flat and him as his own mother. Besides she would like to see him married to Elvira Elliot. Will they?
That's the question.
LM
fortminor
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by fortminor »

I cannot decide !
LadyMacbeth
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

ouch - that's very bad!

Post by LadyMacbeth »

Hi,
new day - new chapter and... hmmm I have to notice that my favourite hero is normally...discriminated in XXI century! Why? She has printed out some www links about a trip of one famous British lord who ...had discovered one famous Egiptian king-tomb and ... is sitting in the Hudson's car to wait for his come back from a visit in one of numerous London'd gentelmen's clubs where she is forbidden to go in as a woman.
Wow - what do you think about it?
I seems to me that in XXI century heterosexuals aren't forbidden to eneter homosexual clubs when my favourite hero is sitting in a car casue she isn't allowed to go into historical London male's-club-only.
How unfair! And she agrees with it without grumbling - what is even stranger to me. Such fashionable, challanging, brave woman sits in the car and waits for a poor Scotland Yard inspector who had gone to the club by himself.... who would believe it?
Well... another interesting fact is that the book is written by a Englishman who wanted to excuse. He had a need to excuse for British Empire. I can read it among verses. I never ever read any English book that would bring so many bitter words about robbing Egiptian tombstones by British lords!
It is a German reprint so probably its author lives in Germany cause my favourite hero (insurance agent) was really indignant when she discovered that merely worthless mummies found their place in British Museum and everything else (specially jewellery) was kept by family of the Lord. She also made some other clever reamrks. I like her, really.
Read me soon,
LM
LadyMacbeth
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

hello,

Post by LadyMacbeth »

I have finished. Well... I think it is very probably book. My favourite hero (Elvira Elliot) hasn't married inspector Hudson yet but I read a lot of interesting things in this book and I found another one in the same series. This time Inspector will be hunting the vampire
but at the footnotes is also written Elvira is included into the plot. Thanks God!
Welll... "chasing the vamipre" - it can be even more breath taking than solving a puzzle of Egyptian mummy!
Oh - and imagine who was the worst hero and murderer in the book about a stolen mummy - A LAWYER. A lawyer of family. Who is surpried? Me not.

And imagine that in the same time in my country a famous actor (I mean rich actress -age 49) has died because of...bee sting. They said that she didn't notice a bee flowing in an orange juice and she it stung her in her throat killing her.
The same time the most famous Polish private detective has been arrested and is accused of many things. He could probably try to solve the case of the actress killed by allergic reaction to bee sting.
But he is kept in jail. What will be next?
Read me soon...
:roll: :roll: :roll:
LadyMacbeth
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

my favourite hero - continuation,

Post by LadyMacbeth »

My favourite hero (Elvira Elliot) is still searching the next villain. She is much better than Hudson. Read about her guts:

"...(...) With a yell of anger the man landed unsteadily on his feet. The villain wanted to punch Elvira, but he was too slow this time, too. Elvira ducked under his fist and sent the criminal flying to the ground with a hard punch. Half-uncouscious and groaning, the man fell to the ground.
(...)
Hudson gave the insurance agent a big smile.
"Great work, Elvira. Did you learn that at the insurance agent college?
(...)
Hudson grinned.
(...)
-Look out Elvira! - shouted Hudson.. But it was too late.
With her left foot Elvira Elliot stepped on the criminal's third juggling club. She twisted her ankle and fell to the ground with a scream".

Oh Jeez- Hudson called the ambulance. He was useful for this one thing at least. Elvira is a real hero.

Read me soon:)
Seafarer
Rising Star
Rising Star

heroo!

Post by Seafarer »

:roll: uhmm i think it is not an easy question even if it seems easy! At these days, my hero is Fanny Price from Mansfield Park by Jane Austen.!
Although most of the people don't like introvert girls, she displays a real wisdom example for me :P
She continues to be the part of her own world,even if she lives in a more different place than she used to live.I call this as "real resistence" against isolation :lol:
LadyMacbeth
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

hi:)

Post by LadyMacbeth »

I know Jane Austin very little but I think she was a PERFECT psychologist without even realizing it and naming it. Thus her books are so interesting as deals psychological descriptions. She was lso honest - noone is ideal - was her message - but some people are obviously wiser than others. So money was always the most important factor in her books and then good manners. But the social circles where action of her books took place was rather limited.
And all in all I still prefer Elvira Elliot. Really.
Everyone in her circle reads detective stories!
That's much more interesting.
:)
LadyMacbeth
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

ps.

Post by LadyMacbeth »

I would like to add to my post are two error corrections:
1....She was also honest...
2....were rather limited...

Besides I have to admit that Elvira Eliot is much better than Elisabeth Bennet. She is more intelligent than Hudson and his boss Sir Reginald!
Now she is in hospital and everyone visits her giving her new detective stories to read. But in the same time the same people are almost indignant and mostly surprised that someone from their professional circle reads this ~ at all!
What a hypocrisy, isn't it?
What I also read in this particular series is one situation that seems to me almost immpossible in reality though who knows? For me - totally immpossible but...
Well, Elvira Elliot spends holidays and Europe (on continent) and has car twice as good as Hudson. Hudson has a housekeeper who like Elvira very much and horrible boss... where does he spend his holidays? In Scotland Yard I think. So still 1:0 for Elvira as it seems to me:)

Soon other interesting observations about my favourite heroes:)
By the way I think that I will buy two other books in the series cause I like it very much.
LadyMacbeth
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

last corrections

Post by LadyMacbeth »

1. What I would like to add to my earlier post are ...
2. Elvira Elliot spends holidays in Europe ...
3. housekeeper who likes Elvira very much ...
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

Well, yesterday I finished reading the book after Maugham - Of Human Bondage and I feel like I know who's my favourite literature hero - Mr. Cronshaw - the poet Philip met in Paris. It really seems to be so this days
LadyMacbeth
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

next letter in this series

Post by LadyMacbeth »

WHO SHOULD PLAY DRACULA ROLE?

In "Vampire Chase" - next book in the series about Mr Hudson, Elvia Elliot and some other nice people I read such piece:

" (...)
- Tell me, Mr Ratcliff, who is plaiyng the role of Dracula in your new film?
- Oh, a fantastic American actor called Guy Van Fang. Imagine, that's his real name. For that reason alone he's perfect for the part."

Miss Paddington ( my reminder-Hudson's housekeeper who loves reading detective stories and tried to match Hudson and Elliot) ) took a cautious sip of tea from the plastic cup. It seemed just as tasteless to her as the idea of an American playing the role of Count Dracula.

-An American? In the role of the count?
Ratcliff shrugged his shoulders.
-Oh, nobody will notice the difference. nd anyway, we have employed a special speech coach to teach Guy how to speak with a real British accent.
(...)"

In my opinion Hudson's housekeeper jumps two levels higher in the hierarchy of my personal everlasting contest for a person who can be my favourite literature hero/heroine because of the sentece about tasteless idea.

PS. In my opinion only someone from Transylvania should play Dracula count sucking blood from some people in London.
What do you think?
Hahaha:)
LadyMacbeth
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

hey,

Post by LadyMacbeth »

Truly speaking I have never been to interested in books like "Gone with a wind". Don't know why. Just not my cup of tea :(

But what I would like to underline is the sentence from a fragment above:
".....(she) took a cautious sip of tea from the plastic cup".

Probably I could be a detective. Is it difficult to drink tea cautiously?

:roll: :roll: :roll:
LadyMacbeth
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

correction of errrors

Post by LadyMacbeth »

too interested
Rach
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Rach »

LadyMacbeth wrote:Probably I could be a detective. Is it difficult to drink tea cautiously?
Perhaps she expected the tea to be very hot? :shock:
LadyMacbeth
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

hmmm

Post by LadyMacbeth »

We don't know it. But I think that such way of behaviour can trace that we are dealing with rather intelligent person. And to me no doubt Miss Padington belonged to this (rather rare) race of human beings.

To finish with, I think it is so stunning that ordinary housekeepers can shame great earls and ladies with their common sense and healthy thinking.

So thanks God 2+2 still makes 4. At least in some good books.