EnglishClub
Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub Home Learn English Teach English MyEnglishClub

Please note that these ESL Forums are NOT part of MyEnglishClub. To post at these ESL Forums please register ↑ first.

People should conform to a country's dress codes.

Monthly topics for discussion

Moderator: TalkingPoint

Postby Alfabeto » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:12 am

shokin wrote:Yes, adapt yourself to the local culture ! we have to respect each culture. If we don't, we are killing the diversity of cultures.

!!! I think about real cultures and countries (Quebec, Catalunya...), not about religions !!!

Shokin

In principle I would adapt as much as possible to the local culture. But not all cultures are equal. Some are better than others. I do not care much about the diversity of cultures. In my view, anything leading to unifying the world under one single culture is in principle a good thing. In fact, there is a name for this: civilization!
Alfabeto

Postby Dixie » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:43 pm

Alfabeto wrote:In principle I would adapt as much as possible to the local culture. But not all cultures are equal. Some are better than others. I do not care much about the diversity of cultures. In my view, anything leading to unifying the world under one single culture is in principle a good thing. In fact, there is a name for this: civilization!

So, to you civilization means to lose ALL cultures (languages, history, customs, and all nations) and favor and keep just one? OMD.

By the way,

Alfabeto wrote:But not all cultures are equal. Some are better than others.

Could you explain this? How is a culture better than another one?
Dixie
Miss EnglishClub.com 2006

Postby MissLT » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:03 pm

I do think there are some cultures that are better than others. For example, I would die before I live in a culture that has people stone others for their adultery. Lucky me, I was born and raised in "better" cultures.
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby Dixie » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:08 am

LennyeTran wrote:I do think there are some cultures that are better than others. For example, I would die before I live in a culture that has people stone others for their adultery. Lucky me, I was born and raised in "better" cultures.

I know, Len, and I agree. But I think he meant a very different thing. Just wanted to hear an explanation ;)
Dixie

Postby MissLT » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:02 am

:? Hmmmm... maybe what I interpret that person's post is different than yours. I kinda understand what that person meant. I probably am wrong. :P
MissLT
Ethereal Member

Postby r1lita » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:34 am

I guess dressing is among our dailly life, it's a part of our education so when you ask why do they wear something that covers their body from top to toe? It's just beacause they are used to doing that. They are just trying to keep their authenticity/tradition by their way of clothing.

Where ever we go I think we should respect the country's dress code where you live in. That doesn't mean to leave your traditional clothes because you can still wear them when you are home. Once you go to work for example you change your clothes. :roll:
r1lita
Gold Member

Postby Alfabeto » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:06 pm

So, to you civilization means to lose ALL cultures (languages, history, customs, and all nations) and favor and keep just one? OMD.

The word "Civilization" is derived from the Latin word for "city". The current idea of civilization dates from 18th-century France, when it was used to designate the highest degree in the development of a culture. Its opposite is barbarism, the condition of pre-statal societies. Those pre-statal societies are often absorbed into a civilization. In fact, the idea of civilization implies the merging together of several cultures, either primitive or historical, into a common tradition. It also implies a tendency for civilizations to extend globally. This means that for any given moment in history there is tipically only one civilization. The Greco-Latin civilization is the only one which exists nowadays and the only one which is effectively extending worldwide. That does not mean that all cultures encompassed by it must immediately perish, only that there is a clear hierarchy. Eventually, we can expect cultural differences within a civilization to become less important and perhaps even disappear into a single culture. If and when that happens most of the reasons for waging war will have disappeared from earth.

Could you explain this? How is a culture better than another one?

It means I don't believe in cultural relativism (for many reasons I won't go into at the moment). A culture that accepts female genital mutilation is to me clearly inferior to one that doesn't accept it, just like one which assigns women a secondary status is inferior to one which recognizes equality of the sexes. Those would be the most obvious examples. Also, a culture which institutionally divides people into closed groups according to race, language or religion could be very advanced in many ways, but it would always be inferior to a similar one which does not.
Alfabeto

Postby `aFiFah » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:34 am

actually if all of you really understand islam,you will know that muslims women dressed from head to toes not because of their traditions but it is one of the rules in islamic religion.but the style that they are dressing is of course refer to their cultures and traditions.I know sometimes people may wonder if they are hot or not (when dressed from head to toes).but for me,if you really have your true spirits of islam, to dressed like that is a normal thing.the rules of islam is beautiful.maybe somepeople say that it is somekind of cruel to let them dressed from head to toes.actually its not.

(In many ways, covering the body protects it from the heat of direct sunlight. Notice that the traditional dress in many desert climates consists of loose, flowing robes. In loose clothing, the air around the body flows freely and cools more readily. And when people have been wearing this type of clothing for many years, the body get used to it.
On extremely hot days, we might be uncomfortable as is everyone else. During those times, we find comfort knowing that we are following what we believe to be God's guidance for us.)adapted from http://islam.about.com.

I must say that if you really understand islam,you will know how beautiful islam is.... :wink:
`aFiFah

Postby crystalfrogw » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:34 pm

No people should have right to decide what kind of clothes they wear.......But the problem is most of people in those countries feel good wearing their traditional clothes and are proud of their cultural codes.... I think....
So it is meaningless for US to discuss whether they should obey or not.....Only people there decide.......
crystalfrogw

Postby areej » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:43 pm

muslem women aren't forced to cover their heads and bodies... but Islam considers women such as diamonds..If you have diamonds, you would be covered and placed in a box for fear of theft or the threat of it is precious and valuable .. you Will notes that rape and harassment of women in very rare because of the veil ..also sesters cover their heads and bodies ..Is this is contrary to the culture of your clothes?
:!: :?:
areej

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Point Discussion